Cold toes and fingers.

coolboarder
coolboarder Posts: 149
edited December 2010 in MTB general
So, how are you lot keeping fingers and toes warm? I was fed up with making do with cheap aldi gloves and summer shoes in the winter so invested in some seal skin gloves and some MW80 shimano shoes. Now the gloves are ace. Fingers were toasty on my commute into work but not my toes. These shoes aint cheap and really thought my woes were at an end but not so. I suppose I need better socks now? It was -4 so your gonna feel it what ever but what do you lot do to keep your extremitys warm?

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I was fed up with making do with cheap aldi gloves

Of all the gloves I have purchased over the years I always go back to my Aldi winter gloves when it get as cold as it is now.
  • Maybe im getting soft in my old age :?
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    My Shimano flat pedal shoes (DX whatevers) are fine with thick socks over winter. The clipless shoes are a bit chillier as they've got loads of mesh on them. For cold wet rides, I favour the DXs but do go clipless from time to time and suffer cold feet.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    So, how are you lot keeping fingers and toes warm?
    Fingers - you need to keep your wrists warm; and toasty ankles means toasty toes. Lots of blood close to the surface in the wrist/ankle area. Important to keep your core temperature stable as well.
  • I suffer from cold feet particularly.

I commute everyday so couldn't really justify the cost of several pairs of Sealskin socks, and so I devised a low cost option!

I wear a pair of trainer socks (the type which only go up to the ankles), I then put my foot in a thin plastic bag (I use nappy bags, 200 for about 99p!), and finally a normal size sock over the top.

Keeps my feet warm and dry in all conditions, and has saved me a fortune.

Rich.
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I've been using summer gloves until this morning.. it was really cold, so dug out my Altura reflex gloves.. windproof, and cover the wrists too, they're brilliant for £20 ish. With a set of thermal liners, that would make them even toastier!

As for warm feet, some cycling socks (thin), then thermal walking socks usually do the trick for me. If it's really cold, I'll chuck on some football socks too, and wear one of my pairs of trainers thats 1 size too big. Look like a bit of a knob, but I'm warm!
  • possably shoes a bit tight on the toes?? shimano ones are always tight fitting, my old shimano ones werte great in the summer but with merino liners (M&S merino socks, 3 pairs for a tenner!!), sealskinz and overshoes my toes would still get numb - took a bit longer but still happened, swapped over to my old cannondale trecking style spd shoe and was much better!, bought some new shimano ones in the spring,next size up and are spot on! get a good thick pair of socks on with space to spare!
    i'd be tempted to try overshoes first, (endura mt500!!) and see if they help! mine were a revelation the first cold wet windy ride!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited November 2010
    Overshoes make the biggest difference. Windproof ones.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    The best way to keep fingers toasty is to get some silk inner gloves. These things may look very flimsy - but are fantastic as an inner layer.

I find my sealskinz are great for warm feet. Except when my shoes are still wet from last week :shock:
  • Im using LIDL gloves and they are spot on.
    My problem is at the moment is headaches from the cold when cycling to work.
    Do toobs work?
    I saw 1 in Halfords for a tenner but looks thin.
    Then I saw a really thick neck band for the same price.
    Decisions decisions?
  • I already do use over boots, always have done and no, my shoes definately are not too small. Theres loads of room to wiggle my toes so tonight im trying an extra pair of socks and if i can find some, a pair of insoles. I made sure of size knowing shimano do come up small.
  • Mccraque wrote:
    The best way to keep fingers toasty is to get some silk inner gloves. These things may look very flimsy - but are fantastic as an inner layer.

I find my sealskinz are great for warm feet. Except when my shoes are still wet from last week :shock:

+1 to that. Silk liners and Specialized Enduro gloves sort out my hands, Endura thermal socks and/or overshoes if it's really cold...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    If all else fails, buy some non medicated muscle rub,rub on feet hands etc and this keeps me warm on the coldest of days,smells nice to.Washes off easy as well.
    I have previously injured certain fingers, and they never keep warm even when using the best of winter gloves.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    antfly wrote:

Amen to this

I use merino base, thermal/waterproof mid and then craft rain booties over the top. That keeps my feet warm and dry.

and Sealskinz windproof gloves over Nike running gloves
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I need to get some full on winter gloves.

toes wise I am wearing 2 pairs of socks
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    THESE might be worth a try at a fiver a pair.
  • dvatc
    dvatc Posts: 86
    i've tried the lot but nothing keeps my toes warm, once they get cold thats it they stay freezing.........until now, " toasty toes" , open about 30-40 mins before you put your bike shoes on, stick them to the outside of your socks on your toes and they stay warm, not hot, but better than anything i've tried.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toastie-Toes-In ... B000YEZLD8
  • I'm wearing Neoprene surfers socks with normal socks underneath and my feet are cozy, and I have shocking crap circulation.
    For the hands I'm trying out a pair of heated gloves I got off eBay for less than a tenner :D
    Caz xxx
  • I already do use over boots, always have done and no, my shoes definitely are not too small. Theres loads of room to wiggle my toes so tonight im trying an extra pair of socks and if i can find some, a pair of insoles. I made sure of size knowing shimano do come up small.
    My shimano are a size bigger than normal.
    should of used giantorangecannon
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    antfly wrote:

+1... neoprene overshoes, nice and warm, and protection from death by puddle
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I have been suffering with very, very cold toes. but last night i went out in a foot of snow, this time i put some shoe covers on and that has made a massive difference. The other thing i did was too make an effort to keep my toes moving inside my shoes.