Daylight between chain and chainring

alomac
alomac Posts: 189
edited December 2010 in The workshop
I've noticed that I there is a visible gap between the chain and some of the 'valleys' of my chainring as in this Sheldon Brown illustration of a new chain on a worn sprocket:

chain_ncws.gif

The chain is new (c. 300mi, less than 0.75% on my chain checker), but I don't think the chainring has seen enough use to be worn. I'd say it's done around 3100mi, in which time I've gone through one chain and cassette.

The crankset is a low-end Shimano Tourney (FC-M151) unit. There isn't any effect on the way the bike rides, so I'm guessing there probably isn't a problem.

Comments

• Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    If the chainring has done 3100 mi then i would imagine it is junk like the chain you've just replaced. With that amount of millage i would have done both at the same time.
  • alomac
    alomac Posts: 189
    The Tourney crankset used riveted or spot-welded chainrings so replacing a ring means replacing the whole crankset. I assumed that the steel rings would last through several cassettes. I dunno, everything still _seems_ fine...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it works leave it. the rings need to be very worn to cause many issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown