Fox 32 F-120 - rough sound and not extending all way back

john_smith
john_smith Posts: 85
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. Just bought a new bike and have just been setting it up for size etc in the house. It has a Fox F-120 fork. The basic model I think with handle bar remote.
I have set the correct air pressure 85psi for my weight but I noticed when compressing the fork it sounds quite rough, almost like grating. I have a rockshox on my other bike and that is smooth with no noise. Also checked a friends fox forks (not identical model but similiar) and they feel very smooth up and down and no noise either.

Also with mine it doesn't come back to the full length of its travel when weight taken off from compression. It seems to stay compressed about 5 or 8mm aprox. If I lift the handlebars to lift front wheel up and shake it slightly it seems to extend the last 5mm to full extension. I have tried changing the rebound setting from very slow to very quick and steps in between but it doesn't seem to fix.
Not sure what is happening but its brand new bike so can't imagine something is blown in fork already. Anyone got any ideas what has happened?

Many thanks.

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    remove the air from the fork then puish and pull it for its full travel - it should not be rough and should go the fiull range.

if that is not the case, since you have new bike, then contact the shop you bought it from - what is the point of messing round yourself when the shop should deal with it?

other than that, it would be hard to diagnose the problem without being with you to experience it - forks will need a little bit of bedding in but that doesnlt mean there is "roughness" in the moving parts.
  • Hi. Tried removing the air and the fork will compress all the way down and comes back up probably 60mm from bottom (think its smoother than when it has air in). I can't pull it to full extension when no air in though so don't know if it extends fully.

Topped it back up to correct pressure and the exact same problem. It compresses the right amount under my body weight but makes noise as it goes down. Then as it releases it seems to come back up with mini pauses. i.e you can tell its not a smooth acceleration as it extends back it seems to stop for a milli second every so often on way back up. Then finally at resting position again it is not full extended until you lift the handlebars and take all weight off and give it light shake. It then goes to full extension but as soon as put bike back down it compresses down the 5-8mm straight away. Almost sounds like a loose headset/stem (its not loose though, definately the suspension) if you bounce the front wheel lightly up and down.

Problem is ordered the bike mail order. Don't really want to send whole bike back as bike is fine its just the fork. Will see if they can take just the fork to inspect. What is the alternative, would Fox take it back directly or any other solutions?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Phone whoever you bought the bike off and ask them - the warranty is with the seller.
    One of the problems with mail order - you need to get it back to them. If it's a warranty issue they may pay for postage or refund it. Some will arrange a courier.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Could be dry seals and bushings, leave it upside down overnight and then see how it is.