Newport Winter League

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited January 2011 in Track
Am close to just jumping in and having a go. Anyone else done / doing it?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Doubt it - I've had a call to get in for accreditation this month but I'm really not in any shape to race and want more experience first.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    would love to but cant get down there in time and been off the bike for 4 weeks since worlds :D
  • Did my first session tonight, £20 near as damn it to buy a number and pay the EOL fee. Great fun, fast and furious and those pesky kids weaving inside you taking gaps that normal sized folk can only dream of.
  • Steve, I was wondering: if I come up from Italy and rent a bike there, may I do some of your races (I've seen the site with the calendar...)? Or is it *necessary* to have an accreditation? I'm a former U23 italian track rider, now just an Amateur (but still racing...).

I'd take my disc + front with me... (+ I'd visit your contry... never seen Wales before)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Interesting question - generally you have to have accreditation for the particular track but that presumably isn't the case for international riders. Maybe there is some way your Federation can give you a letter or try contacting the velodrome well in advance to get their advice. It's a good track and a beautiful part of the world (well, the area around the track is a dump but it is beautiful within about 8km of it! :lol: ).
  • well ok perhaps I'd better send an email to the 'drome staff

(BTW, it's quite rainy over there, right?) :-/
  • nah was gorgeous in cardiff today
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Sikhandar wrote:
    Steve, I was wondering: if I come up from Italy and rent a bike there, may I do some of your races (I've seen the site with the calendar...)? Or is it *necessary* to have an accreditation? I'm a former U23 italian track rider, now just an Amateur (but still racing...).

I'd take my disc + front with me... (+ I'd visit your contry... never seen Wales before)

As Mark said, contact the velodrome first to check! You will need your race license whatever the requirements, even an Italian one.

The website is here:

http://www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.cfm ... evxp001384

Phone number is +44 1633 656 757
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Sikhandar wrote:
    Steve, I was wondering: if I come up from Italy and rent a bike there, may I do some of your races (I've seen the site with the calendar...)? Or is it *necessary* to have an accreditation? I'm a former U23 italian track rider, now just an Amateur (but still racing...).

Sikhandar,

You should be aware that Newport Velodrome does not allow changing pedals, wheels, etc on their hire bikes. They may make an exception in your case if you are travelling so far but it you will need to ask/check first.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Thanks Eddy (sry I didn't know).

Anyway my mail to the addresse cited in the post before... has ben forwarded to a responsible of the velodrome 5 days ago... still no answer :-(

I'm going to make a phone call in the next few hours
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Sikhandar wrote:
    Thanks Eddy (sry I didn't know).

Anyway my mail to the addresse cited in the post before... has ben forwarded to a responsible of the velodrome 5 days ago... still no answer :-(

I'm going to make a phone call in the next few hours
    Luca, did you call and get an answer?

Can't any of the Newport TL regulars help out?
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • If you PM me your contact details, I will pass them onto the organiser next Tuesday, so hopefully you will eventually get an answer!
  • eh no I did not! I have used the email reported here

http://www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.cfm ... evxp001384

and a kind person answered me that he was happy of this "international" interest for Newport velodrome and that he had forwarded my request to "the right person".... but I did not receive any answer!

Steve I'm going to send a pm to you in the next minutes, thx!
  • okok "Courtney" as she (he?) signed told me to come and race as she (he?) thinks I'm experienced in a 250m indoor 'drome.

Let's see you programme then...

...any advice on most interesting races in the calendar? I'm interested in doing mass events like points or scratch, or even omnium...
  • oldwelshman
    Courtney is te velodrome manager and a good guy adone to keep friends with :-)
    His son is based in Italy as part of tha British olympic accademy same as Geraint Thomas and Ben Swift did, Luke Rowe.
    You should also join the veloriders forum as all the top uk track riders use it regular much more than this forum.
    Courtney has so much cycle gear he could possibly sort out a bike for yu, they are friendly lot in wales so I a sure you could get something there.
  • Ah the father of Luke Rowe??????? Woa!! Luke Rowe is famous down here in the U23 environment, mainly because he "broke the eggs" (as we say here) several times to local riders :-) He's a good rider, I think he could do a great 2011.

Thanks for the info!
  • oldwelshman
    Yes he is very talented and rode well in commonwealth road race and helped to get Cav back into race :D
    Another good rider who started in Newport is Sam Harrison who will ride some leageus, he just won world cup omnium in Cjia and he's only 18 :D if they ride along with John Mould and several other youngsters it is an extrememyl strong league :D
  • The winter track league runs every tuesday night 7pm - 9pm. You have to buy a number £10 which is yours for the rest of the season, each session is £9.30 for adults. There are 3 cats - A,B and C. I am guessing you will race with the 1st/2nds in the A group, there are some good riders in there at the moment! I have been racing with the Bs, managed to get a win in the 1.5k dash, think I was placed in a points race but results not published yet. The numbers are a bit down at the moment, so you're guaranteed a place.