Which Hardtail?

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Well, as on another thread i said I could get a Kona Kula Deluxe 06 for £400 delivered. But after getting some more pictures I'm a bit worried about the condition; the frame seems good but some things worry me, the forks seems to have some rust on the v brake mount and the drivetrain a bit rusty too. What do you think would need replacing, or do you think it would scrub up well with a bit of TLC. The other option is a immaculate condition Carrera Fury for the same price.

Carrera Fury: http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=567669801

Kona Kula Deluxe 06:
KonaKula7.jpg
KonaKula5.jpg
KonaKula2.jpg
KonaKula4.jpg
KonaKula3.jpg
KonaKula1.jpg
KonaKula.jpg

So which one to go for? The kona is a xc speed machine and should be better suited to the commute and should be strong enough for most of my riding but the fury should be stronger, so handle the jumps better which I don't think the kona will take.

Any comments welcome, this is too hard Confused

Thanks
Pete

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I ride a Kona but no question. That Kona looks rather tired.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t/fury-10-

Haggle the price though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fury wins hands down, miles better spec and if its mint then its a no brainer :)

just incase that wasnt clear, fury.

fury
  • But the thing is that sways me towards the kona is that its a 23lb bike, not 27/28lb and the spec is far better

Easton tubing race 17 inch (Med) frame.
    Easton bars\stem\ seat post
    Rockshox Reba race forks
    Hayes nine brakes.
    Lx cranks\ front mech\shifters\cassette.
    Xt rear mech
    Shimano\sun wheels
    The owner says its only done about 300 miles, i gues a touch more but i asked to see some more pics after a good clean up. Then I'll make the decision, this is hard. Does the wear on the drivetrain just look superficial to you or something to be worried about?

How much do you think I could haggle the price to, with delivery?
  • 300 miles??

my orange 5 that had 2k on the clock approx looked MILES better than that.

no effing way has that bike done 300 miles lol

worth £200 IMO and thats me being generous.

get that kona out your head mate.
  • fine, i'll see what the kona looks like after a good clean up. But what should I haggle the fury down to, well what would a reasonable offer be on it, with delivery included?
  • furys ok by the looks of things didnt check the spec tho, always good to get a good £30-£40 quid off anything tho! just try your luck :)
  • Would £350 be pushing my luck?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look after a good clean up, but I would worry that anyone who lets their bike look like that, especially if they are trying to sell it, has neglected it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Have a look after a good clean up, but I would worry that anyone who lets their bike look like that, especially if they are trying to sell it, has neglected it.
    i was kinda thinking that. it justs looks like its just been slung back into the garage for the next ride without a clean and lube, basically, general care.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    On paper the Kona wins handsdown...however it ain't been looked after...300 miles my arse with Steve Peat sat on it yeah...even with a good clean I would replace the chain etc...it is still near 5 years old....

If you cannot get it for 350 walk away......my money though would be with the Fury....near new in mint condition that's been looked after...a great bike to be honest.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My bike looked like that after 50 miles of winter riding lol. I think he just needs to clean it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, a good clean will tell you whether 300miles is about right, mine can look like that in 300 yards on my local tow path.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Not with a rusty chain, bolts, and dinks all along the downtube!
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    On paper the Kona wins handsdown...however it ain't been looked after...300 miles my ars* with Steve Peat sat on it yeah...even with a good clean I would replace the chain etc...it is still near 5 years old....

If you cannot get it for 350 walk away......my money though would be with the Fury....near new in mint condition that's been looked after...a great bike to be honest.
    ive put £350 on the Fury, I'll wait for him to get back to me... actually I might as well give him a ring instead, get it sorted faster.
  • Well, I gave the guy a call for the Fury and I've got it for £370, delivered. I've just got to wait for him to post it, the snow's causing a right hassle up there apparently, 1 1/2 feet of snow Shocked

The lack of care of the Kona really put me off. If it was cared for the there shouldn't really be any rust. I'd need a new chain and cassette too by the looks of it.

So I've got a mint condition Fury for £370, i was planning on a getting a new one for £600 after xmas when i had more money. But I don't need to anymore. So i've got another £100 left to get kitted up with other stuff and I'll stuff have money from xmas too for my kit and some money saved for any upgrades or if i need a part urgently.

Thanks guys
    Pete
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Well you got a great buy there Pete !!! hope it arrives OK and you get miles of smiles !!!
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • i put a post in your mountain bike, when it arrives