Mark Cavendish in final 10 for SPOTY

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    Read some of the comments on here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... allcomment
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • If Mark doesn't win this year then I think SPOTY is going to lose all its credibility, especially after last years debacle.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • they had ryan giggs (last years 'winner') announcing the list on the one show with accompanying footage of the contestants.....well that is all except cav, who was shown as animated stills with a v/o.

I reckon david haye will get it. when did he win, a few weeks ago? and boxing achievemen doesnt need much explaining.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'm not sure that Haye's arrogance goes down that well with a lot of the public - his comments about a fight being as "one sided as a gang rape" are enough to stop me ever voting for him anyway.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Cav's not helped at the moment by the BBC not using any video footage, just plain stills. The other contestants mostly have video footage which make it look much more exciting (golf exciting - nah).
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • How much do people think the Contador situation will impact votes for Cav this year? I know the general public think cycling is only doping, but this will just remind them when they think about voting for Cav.

I think he should win it however, I find SPOTY hard each year as I can't see past the sports I like. I'm sure Jessica Ennis's WC is worth a lot but it will never be the same as what Cav did this year in my mind (and vice versa for athletics fans).
  • Cycling is a minority sport in this country and this award is voted for by the public. So how can it lose all it's credibility if cavendish doesn't win which he won't
  • dave milne wrote:
    Cycling is a minority sport in this country and this award is voted for by the public. So how can it lose all it's credibility if cavendish doesn't win which he won't

It's not that much of a minority sport tbh.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Well guys and gals - Cav has his nomination, and the public, thats me and thee get to vote to decide the winner. So on the night text and/or call the voting lines and ensure that Cav does get his win. If every MAMIL on a bike over the summer voted then he would stand a damn good shot over Haye (this year I beat up 2 muppets), McCoy (took me 15 times to win a horse race) etc etc,
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    mr_poll wrote:
    Haye (this year I beat up 2 muppets)

That's a bit harsh to call them muppets. Miss Piggy would have put up more than a fight than Harrison. Gonzo, too, probably.

And McCoy, the Andre Greipel of horse racing - lots of 'sh*t small wins', rarely delivers in the big races (although he did this year).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    No one really stands out on that list.
    Haye should wait until he fights the Klitschkos
    Swann has a shout if he turns it on down under and we win
    Lee maybe world best, (and is favourite?) but still aint won a major
    I can't see Cav winning, although if he had clinched the green jersey I reckon he would have had a chance.
    If he gets it next year, he could win?

That said, it is supposed to be about personality. these days our athletes are too pro to have a personality.
  • Tom Butcher
    Amy Williams - bob skeleton - not exactly competitive is it. Credit for getting an Olympic gold but in such a minority sport that's not enough to win SPOTY
    Tom Daley - just going by the BBC link he's got 2 commonwealth golds this year - not enough especially as he's got a good shot of an Olympic gold in the future - this year is not likely to be one of the peaks in his career so no.
    Ennis - European gold isn't quite enough - maybe unlucky not to win it in the past but will have to wait.
    Haye - not really a boxing fan but I'm not a fan of his kind of bragging either so not for me. On a purely sporting level maybe he's a contender.
    McCoy - maybe give it one of the horses as they do most of the work.
    McDowell - "Graeme McDowell's rise to stardom in 2010 has been nothing short of incredible." I've literally never heard of him so not for me.
    Taylor - for me he deserves it - some will say it's not a sport but for me it is and if you accept that then he should win.
    Westwood - never won a major
    Cav - another good year for Cav but by his standards maybe not a great one - he's set the bar high and he needs more than stage wins - preferably a worlds or olympic gold - not for me this year.

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    aye

the power should have taken in in his heyday - would be a sympathy vote now
  • RichN95.
    Taylor - for me he deserves it - some will say it's not a sport but for me it is and if you accept that then he should win.

While he may be World Champion again, in darts the 'World' consists of Britain, a handful of Dutchmen and the occasional Aussie.

McDowell, who you've never heard of, was the first European to win the US Open for 40 years. Quite an achievement. Plus he sank the winning putt at the Ryder Cup. He'd be my choice after Cav.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    McCoy - maybe give it one of the horses as they do most of the work..

In that case, if Cav wins, maybe Eisel, Grabsch and Renshaw could go on stage to collect the award :wink:
  • Tom Butcher
    RichN95 wrote:

While he may be World Champion again, in darts the 'World' consists of Britain, a handful of Dutchmen and the occasional Aussie.

McDowell, who you've never heard of, was the first European to win the US Open for 40 years. Quite an achievement. Plus he sank the winning putt at the Ryder Cup. He'd be my choice after Cav.

Hmmm, there are a few more nations than that, pretty sure there will be more darts players than skeleton bob competitors and if Amy Williams can go on and win multiple world and Olympic titles over 2 decades you wont get an argument from me she doesn't deserve to be spoty.

As for the golfer - well it's pretty much a one off isn't it - googling him his previous best in a major is 10th so not surprising a non golf fan wont have heard of him. Well done to him but Taylor must have 50 plus big wins in his career which does put one golf major rather in the shade.

• RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Hmmm, there are a few more nations than that, pretty sure there will be more darts players than skeleton bob competitors and if Amy Williams can go on and win multiple world and Olympic titles over 2 decades you wont get an argument from me she doesn't deserve to be spoty.

No, there really aren't more nations than that in darts. At least not seriously. Here's the PDC Order of Merit: http://www.pdc.tv/page/PDCOrderofMerit/0,,10180,00.html. The top 30 is 24 Brits, 4 Dutch and 2 Aussies. A Canadian comes in at 32, then it's down to no.50 for an Austrian.
    Fair dues to Taylor though, he's a long way ahead of no.2.
  • Tom Butcher
    Exactly - Canada - John Part ! Ok so it was a few years ago....

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,450
    Amy Williams - bob skeleton - not exactly competitive is it. Credit for getting an Olympic gold but in such a minority sport that's not enough to win SPOTY
    Tom Daley - just going by the BBC link he's got 2 commonwealth golds this year - not enough especially as he's got a good shot of an Olympic gold in the future - this year is not likely to be one of the peaks in his career so no.
    Ennis - European gold isn't quite enough - maybe unlucky not to win it in the past but will have to wait.
    Haye - not really a boxing fan but I'm not a fan of his kind of bragging either so not for me. On a purely sporting level maybe he's a contender.
    McCoy - maybe give it one of the horses as they do most of the work.
    McDowell - "Graeme McDowell's rise to stardom in 2010 has been nothing short of incredible." I've literally never heard of him so not for me.
    Westwood - never won a major
    Cav - another good year for Cav but by his standards maybe not a great one - he's set the bar high and he needs more than stage wins - preferably a worlds or olympic gold - not for me this year.

Amy Williams - surely any Olympic sport is competetive?
    Tom Daley - I think he was injured for a lot of the year, well known by the public and couldn't argue with a (belated) win after his World champs win last year.
    Ennis - becoming well known by the public another medal to add to the collection and another who could be rewarded after being robbed last year.
    Haye - cocky but well known, people understand "world heavyweight champion" even if there are several of them and he ducks fighting the others. Possible winner but I hope not (and hope he gets hammered by one of the Klitschkos.
    McCoy - have you ever tried controlling half a ton of pure muscle and getting it to do what you want? Having to constantly watch your weight and having the type of falls that make cycling tumbles seem lightweight, jumping fences you can't see over and knowing if you come down you can have several tons of animal in metal shoes land on you. Jockeys have a tough, physical job and are genuine athletes.
    McDowell - as you say he has come from nowhere to win the US Open and help win the Ryder Cup.
    Taylor - probably due a win in SPOTY after all these years but I'm definately in the camp that anything you can play after several pints in the pub is not a sport. I admire his skill and how he has been the best for so long though.
    Westwood - never won a major but has still taken the world number 1 spot off one of the most successful and well known sportsmen in the world (even if that was largly down to self-destruction).
    Cav - a good year but arguably not as good as last year when he didn't come close. To the majority of the British public the only things you can win in cycling are the TdF or an Olympic medal. Cav could win 10 stages of the Tour and every Monument and most wouldn't even register it. He would probably be my choice but the only way he will win is everyone involved in cycling gets behind him.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    I don't think there is a particularly obvious candidate, but I think I will vote for AP McCoy.

I am a big fan of Cavendish, butI I don't think he deserves it this year. If he had won the green last year then he would have been my choice. He is clearly capable of winning the green, but has ultimately failed to do so..
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Another fairly poor year for British sport. The candidates have done well, but no stand out world beater winning their biggest event. For most of them, this means it has to be an Olympic year.

Jockey will be a strange choice, but I can kind of see why, like with Giggs.

Cav needs to win Green, or WC and a Classic, plus his normal stage wins. This will happen and hopefully not in a year that something bigger happens (Murray winning Wimbledon etc).
    exercise.png
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    TheStone wrote:
    Another fairly poor year for British sport. The candidates have done well, but no stand out world beater winning their biggest event. For most of them, this means it has to be an Olympic year.

Jockey will be a strange choice, but I can kind of see why, like with Giggs.

Cav needs to win Green, or WC and a Classic, plus his normal stage wins. This will happen and hopefully not in a year that something bigger happens (Murray winning Wimbledon etc).
    Agree with your comments there, I think it will be great success to see Cav get in the top 3, I for one will be voting for him and think he should realistically get in the top 3.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Tusher has probably started saving up to pay the giant phone bill she'll have when she dials the Cav number thousands of times :)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    They released the full top 10 last year, I'm pretty certain cav finished fourth. A green and rainbow jersey next year and he could win it
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    dougzz wrote:
    Tusher has probably started saving up to pay the giant phone bill she'll have when she dials the Cav number thousands of times :)

:wink:

Yes, he did come fouth last year.
    I think.

Doubt he'll win this year, but you never know. TBH, I think most non-cycling fans will think, "That big guy from Edinburgh who won a handful of Olympic medals won a couple of years back, so let's have Jessica Ennis" or sumfink like that.

I wonder who he's going to ask to the Ball this year, now that he's got rid of The Strumpet.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I wonder who he's going to ask to the Ball this year, now that he's got rid of The Strumpet.

Have you bought a dress yet?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    last years results in full, cavendish got 3x as many votes as haye last year

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/8410840.stm
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    And McCoy, the Andre Greipel of horse racing - lots of 'sh*t small wins', rarely delivers in the big races (although he did this year).

You may know your cycling, but you know jack sh1t about horse racing. McCoy is the Sean Kelly of cycling. His consitency is frightening. Over 3,000 winners and nearly 300 in one season. And he's won almost every race, including the five monuments of horse racing:

Champion Hurdle (San Remo), Cheltenham Gold Cup (Flanders), Grand National (Roubaix), King George (Liege), Champion Chase (Lombardy)

His other big races include: Irish Grand National, Midlands Grand National, Scottish Grand National, William Hill Trophy, Ryanair Chase, Royal Sun Alliance Chase, Tingle Creek Chase, Bet 365 Gold Cup, Melling Chase, Galway Plate, Arkle Challenge Trophy, Lexus Chase.

To me he deserves it for a career of brilliance now that he's finally bagged that elusive Grand National.

Cavendish? Pleashe. Only a rabid one eyed cyclist could give him a hope. And even Pooley's done more in cycling this year.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    Timoid. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You may know your cycling, but you know jack sh1t about horse racing. McCoy is the Sean Kelly of cycling. His consitency is frightening. Over 3,000 winners and nearly 300 in one season. And he's won almost every race, including the five monuments of horse racing:

Champion Hurdle (San Remo), Cheltenham Gold Cup (Flanders), Grand National (Roubaix), King George (Liege), Champion Chase (Lombardy)

So he's allegedly the best ever, yet in 15 years, he's won (of the 'monuments' you mention)

Champion Hurdle 3 times (he's done OK there), Gold Cup once, Grand National once, King George once, Champion chase once.

Pretty poor for someone who gets the pick of the horses.

Compare to Ruby Walsh (who's been around several years less): Gold Cup twice, Grand National twice, King George four times, Champion Chase three times. Top jockey at Cheltenham five times in the last seven years (something McCoy hasn't done since 1998). There's your Sean Kelly.

Most of McCoy's wins are the equivalent of local chippers - lots and lots of sh1t small races, little in the way of big wins. Racing's Andre Greipel.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    You guys seem to have more knowledge than me about McCoy, but my way of thinking is that he has been crowned champion jockey 15 times (or however many it is) which is a bit like winning the premier league. To do this you have to win small, medium and big races, in the same way to win the premier league you need to do well in all the matches. If other riders have only done well in big races then ultimately they do not win the premier league. This McCoy also won the Champions League i.e. the Grand National.

Also, doesn't he only ride for one trainer so doesn't have the pick of the best horses always?