Headset too tight, but has play when bars can move freely

ynyreds
ynyreds Posts: 7
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
This is cross posted from http://forums.bicycletutor.com/thread-2383.html

I recently tried to overhaul my headset, but there's something wrong. After putting all the parts back together, like this (I think it's correct):
TpKqE.jpg

So they stack up like this
Q7H8D.jpg

There is some play in the headset. I follow the tutorial on how to adjust a threadless headset (loosen the stem, tighten the top cap until there is no play, then undo 1/4 turn). When I do this, the stem becomes too tight for the bars to turn. By the time I've loosened the top cap enough so I can turn the bars, it has play in it again. Do i need a new headset?

Could it be something to do with the cage not filling the cup? I replaced the bearings with exactly the same size?
t5gic.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    first thought is the top bearing is upside down.

fork24.jpg
    this is the bottom one the top should be the other way up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So the 'open' side of the bearing cage should face down toward the wheel and up towards the bars?
  • nicklouse
    yes or the race can not run on the balls.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I've changed the bearings to face the other way now :oops:

It still feels a bit tight though - could i have packed in too much grease? Do they need to 'bed in'?
  • nicklouse
    you have more than likely damaged the bearing cages from your earlier attempts.

all you can do is strip and try and reshape any bent bits.
  • Right, new bearings purchased - will try again this evening
  • Hmmm, I've installed the new bearings, and they're still a bit stiff. The open side of the cages should face down and up right?
  • they will be a little stiff until they bed in after 15 or so miles
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • I think I'm going to see what happens. I've just taken it for a spin - it was a bit stiff to begin with, but by the end it seemed to have loosened up to a point where there was some play again.

I've readjusted the headset, and it's now a bit stiff again. I think I'll see how it is after a month. If it hasn't settled - it's going to have to be a new headset methinks.