Devon (Bampton/ Tiverton)

airbusboy
airbusboy Posts: 231
Good Afternoon,

I'm off down to devon next weekend to visit my Aunti. I was wondering if anyone had any good 40-60mile loops incorporating some good climbs and fairly quiet road around the bampton/tiverton area? Or ideas on areas to head to??

Cheers
'Ride hard for those who can't.....'

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    At the moment Exmoor isn't very friendly
    And it looks like snow for the weekend

Bampton and Tiverton are joined by the A396. This is quite a reasonable road to ride on. On a quiet summer sunday it is very pleasant. There isn't much traffic on it. This time of year it isn't too bad on the Bampton/Tiverton bit but further north in the Minehead direction it climbs a bit more and you will see ice if there is any.

A loop I like to do is Bampton - B3227 to Wivlescombe R at traffic lights - Langford Budville - R at T (White Post Nurseries) - Holy Well Lake - R onto A38 - take B3181 at Waterloo X - 3rd exit at next RBT sp Halberton - L @ T sp Tiverton - A396 back to Bampton

That loops is usually ok in the winter if the weather is alright, but TBH it isn't something I was thinking of doing next weekend...it's pretty grim at the moment

Going to South Molton on the B3227 from Bampton via Black Cat is usually good too
  • Many thanks for replying. I think I might take your advice and avoid donning the Lycra. I'll store your route and hopefully ride it when the inclement weather has disappeared.

Has it snowed down there yet? I might avoid the drive if it's shocking!

Cheers

AB
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    It has been snowing heavily over Exmoor since 7am.

Rode on Sunday and it was quite icy and very cold. Getting those fingers warmed up at home is the worst part though. Ouch. I can't even begin to imagine how frostbite feels...
  • I completely gave-up on my devon adventure, mainly due to the risk of the wx. I'll have to wait till next month.

rgds