Is there something better?

RevellRider
RevellRider Posts: 1,794
edited November 2010 in The workshop
I have a Spesh Langster for commuting to work, but I'm fed up of the freewheel not lasting more than 6 months before it's shot. Are there any 120mm cassette hubs out there or am I resigned to going to a White Industries freewheel?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Try not to freewheel so much?

6months is pathetic I have to say.

I thought most wider 'hubs' could have the clamped portion narrowed enough using the right spacer/axle bits as a replacement for what's in there?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Why not go fixed? Solves your problem and is more fun :)
  • Personally I'd skip the whites one, go for the ACS claw freewheels. A lot of trials riders use them because they're cheap but last really well, should set you back no more than £20.
  • Are you talking about the bit that goes click click click? I've only ever worn one out. That was a Shimano Sora that lasted 7000 miles.

Why not replace the wheel with a normal road one?
  • 120mm frame, standard wheel 130mm.

I'm fairly sure you'll struggle to find a 120mm cassette hub as most 120mm frames are track ones...
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Biondino I did try it fixed a few times, what can I say. I enjoy riding it like a road bike and carving fast sweeping corners

The Beginner I was thinking about single speed cassette hubs off mountain bikes or even race BMXes to keep the dish of the wheel decent, but wouldn't changing the axle width mess with the chain line?

ride_whenever The appeal of the White Ind one is the ease of rebuilding, but I'll have a look at the ACS one
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Beginner I was thinking about single speed cassette hubs off mountain bikes or even race BMXes to keep the dish of the wheel decent, but wouldn't changing the axle width mess with the chain line?
    Chainline is from the centrline of the bike, so adjusting the spacers equally will have no effect on chain line.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.