Enlightened ... Smart R1 - 1 watt Rear LED Light

2»

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Jonny; Whats Group Ride mode?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Jonny; Whats Group Ride mode?

the main (bright) LED is not lit and the two lower 'standard' LEDs are lit, so if another rider is following you they can see you but are not dazzled/blinded by your rear light - not something I use on the commute but I can see it being useful on trail rides with other riders in low/poor light conditions.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Run a bit of gaffer tape around the seam and bob's your mothers brother. It really is that simples.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I suspected that would work - will try that with my R2
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    one of mine is now acting up. last two journeys it's been off when I got home :(
    Hat + Beard
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    A little tip for those with less than waterproof Smart rear lights.

Buy (or borrow) a plain chapstick - you know the thing for dry lips. Open the light and pop the red seal out. Apply the chapstick liberally to both sides - reassemble and with luck the seal will be a good one.

You may need to reapply the chapstick after a couple of months or if symtoms persist.

For the more adventurous you could use a flavoured chapstick and have lovely strawberry scented lights!

Rufus.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    RufusA wrote:
    A little tip for those with less than waterproof Smart rear lights.

Buy (or borrow) a plain chapstick - you know the thing for dry lips. Open the light and pop the red seal out. Apply the chapstick liberally to both sides - reassemble and with luck the seal will be a good one.

The vaseline approach will be at least as effective and rather cheaper!

Incidentally, both sealing gasket and on/off switch design has been changed on the new 1 watts. I would hesitate to say improved as yet but certainly Smart have had a go.

I put one of my half watts on the MTBs seat stay. Seal was protected by insulation tape. Didn't even get out of the city centre before the 1/2 watt had stopped working due to the cold! Not really sure how to go about fixing that one. Maybe Smart will produce a heated light cosy :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    My smart packed up with the cold( -13 yesterday) yet the cheap copy kept working.
    FCN 3/5/9