bike box frustrations !

ilm_zero7
ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Ah! after frantic weeks of waiting my Wilier Cento Uno arrived, for export straight out of the UK, but hopes dashed, for even after having nervously trimmed the ISP its too big for the bike box, so Wilier no2 had to travel and the new bike sits pristine and unridden in the UK

bigger bike box suggestions anyone?

anyone want a nearly new bike box for a normal frame?
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Have you removed the fork? That may be the way to get the bike to fit.
    M.Rushton
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aah - thats why I'm not keen on the ISP bikes - I race abroad once a year and its easy enough with the normal seatpost - but if i had an ISP - it wouldnt fit my bag.

What pro teams use the bike ? Presumably some of their riders have flown their bikes around ? I know I've seen T Mobile riders flying with theirs in the past. Check their sponsors list maybe ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bikeboxalan do one that fits ISPs...
  • I've got a Planet X padded bag which I've had for about 10 years or so now, I can fit my Spesh in it by just removing the wheels, don't have to touch the seatpost at all. And I'm just over 6' 2" in height, so have quite a bit of frame and seatpost to fit in! Maybe a similar bag would be the way to go?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Take the saddle and the cranks off and it'll fit pretty much any box.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    as above, try bikeboxalan

you can make a paper template and send it to them to check

i got one, my bike isn't isp, but it's a big frame, the 'large frame template' bikeboxalan took it ok and gave just enough clearance that i didn't have to remove the fork

fast delivery as well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Stick a hacksaw and some epoxy in the box :wink:

You've also just discovered one of the USPs of ISPs!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    My Addict R1 has a pesky ISP. I've got a Scicon bike bag. It's sturdy for a bag & has a rigid frame. My frame is a 56cm & I've got to remove the chainset to get it in.

Bikeboxalan are good bits o'kit. The guy (Alan) is in our club & is a decent sort. They're top notch boxes but they ain't cheap.