broken wrist

earls
earls Posts: 48
edited December 2010 in MTB general
So I came off my bike at Llandegla last weekend. Broke my radius and dislocated the ulnar in my left wrist. Also tore the tendons in my right wrist, tasty little injury.
I want to get back on my bike ASAP so will need supports for said wrists, any suggestions? I see all kinds of stuff, soft supports, armoured things .... what's good, comfortable, won't impede, fits with gloves, Inlcuded on a glove? any ideas would be great

needless to say it'll be a while but planning might keep me sane!

Comments

• Black
    Black Posts: 172
    Fix it right first as will only add to complications later
  • Black wrote:

can only add to that. broke both wrists and a collarbone (plate in left wrist and also in left collarbone) at swinley in july and was out for 3 months. getting a small amount of aggro with tendons in left thumb but hoping that will go when plate is taken out.

Don't try and do too much too soon, fix properly first time for longterm
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • If you've torn the tendons in your wrist, that is not going to be a quick fix

Bones may heal quickly, but getting tendons sorted will take alot longer and then to strengthen

You'll probably need physio.. and when they say its ok, id suggest getting a Powerball to help strengthen it quicker... ofc wait until physio says its ok or youll just damage them again

Good luck with rehab
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Black wrote:
    ^^ this
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    As others are saying, let it heal well first.

I have a dodgy wrist (not from too many left handed websites! :lol: ) and I've tried a few wrists supports. One that does work well was from a local sports shop. Its made with a bright blue neoprene and has a wide aluminium support/split that goes down the arm and cups into your palm. I don't have it to hand, after a quick search on the net, I think it is a LP 75. I've not used it while biking, but I suspect it will work quite well as the aluminium split will be taking your weight on the grip.
    LP725_m.jpg

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • I think your going to be out of action a while, my wrist still felt weak months after the cast was removed, physio told me it would be a year till it would be as strong as before.
  • Was the ambulance for you that I saw last saturday then? Remember seeing that as it was getting dark and thinking...Im so glad that isnt me that needs that...freezing cold, wet, dark and injured. Not a nice way to end the day!!
  • Baaah. Strap em up tight and do a downhill run. Old school physio!

Broke several fingers a while back, bought an ice lolly and used the stick and electrical tape to strap em up and continue riding. They are a little bent now which gives them character! :roll:
  • I had a broken wrist sometime back, while in my cast I kept the fingers moving so they would not cease up. When I was out of the cast and in the supportive and removable cast, use easily a very lightweight dumbbell and ease the wrist while holding it. Later on use a tennis ball or stress ball to strengthen up your fingers and hand to get it back to what is was before. It worked for me as I was racing six weeks after I broke my wrist. Hope this helps.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Broke left wrist and right eblow last summer, out for 9 months. wrist healed a lot quicker than elbow though and it was smashed to bits.

Got a lovely big plate in it now and 10 screws but have to say it hasn't given me a moment greif 'on the trails' came flying down Cwmcarn last weekend about as quick as I ever did pre-crash and it was fine, elbow was a bit sore later.

My advise is to push to get some physio time, it will hurt like dry buggery but it's worth it, also if you had your x-rays done in a different NHS area to your home one, it might be worth getting copies to show the physio - I had my op done in Bridgend, but all the aftercare in Cardiff as that's where I live, only a 20 min drive apart, but because they were in different areas the xrays didn't make it so I took my own.

P.S. the supports with the alu plate that runs to the palm are great for daily use when it's still sore, but massively reduce your grip on the bars, as I found out first ride on my CBR600 post op.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Groan - not good.

I smashed my radius playing rugby. Then lost all the feeling in my fingers for best part of 6 months after the absolute butcher in the hospital tried to insert a plate and 7 bolts through it.

Bones are knitted usually in 8/10 weeks depending on the break. But they are not full strength for about 18 months...so be careful.

As for the tendons - that could be a while....

Depending on where the break is, I would recommend the neoprene supports. The Kooga rugby ones have additional padding which eased my impact fears a little

My plate stiull gives me a bit of grief...usually lifting it over styles or lifting the front wheel...
  • earls
    earls Posts: 48
    Thanks for all the advice, ill be sure to start looking for some supports in time. Had another scan (7 in fact) today - bones not knitting property and it's shifting in the plaster. I'm on weekly xrays now, if it moves at all another op is on the cards.

Gutted.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    bad news mate, i had 2 broken wists once upon a time which not only smarted a bit but was very annoying at toilet time.

i was n casts for 6 weeks and even years later my wrists never felt quite right.

rest for as long as you are told, get some physio and most importantly, do the excercises you are given, if you dont you might never fully recover.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2744526/
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I got avulsion fractures in both ulnars earlier this year as well as as similat thing on four volar plates, all freerunning on frozen sand dunes :roll: The aircast wrist supports with splints are good for recovery, but for a bit more movement for prevention the sixsixone wrist guards are pretty good for general wear on the bike (or free running d'oh) so long as you can get you riding position fight, think higher and wider bars with less rake and shorter stem, it should just hurt like blazes but not make you want to throw up with the pain :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    as said...the tendons will take the longest to heal...

i tore my acl in a couple of years back..i was on crutches (2 at first, then down to one) for 6 months...and physio continued for 6 months after that.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Broke my wrist a year ago first don't rush recovery to much it'll only extend your time off the bike in the long run and listen to everything your physio says, to strengthen it. I found a 661 wrist guard excellent to support my wrist whilst it was still weak

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47034
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    earls wrote:
    So I came off my bike at Llandegla last weekend. Broke my radius and dislocated the ulnar in my left wrist. Also tore the tendons in my right wrist, tasty little injury.
    I want to get back on my bike ASAP so will need supports for said wrists, any suggestions? I see all kinds of stuff, soft supports, armoured things .... what's good, comfortable, won't impede, fits with gloves, Inlcuded on a glove? any ideas would be great

needless to say it'll be a while but planning might keep me sane!

I still cry like a little girl if someone hits my elbow, all because I didn't let it heal properly. It's entirely up to you though...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!