Cateye Strada and the cold

batch78
batch78 Posts: 1,320
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Fitted my wireless Strada from my mtb on my winter hack during the week, all worked fine, left for the club run this morning and after a mile it stopped working.

Checked alignment of magnet etc to no avail, after leaving the bike outside in the sun at the cake stop it recorded the next mile or so again before cutting out.

Is it simply the cold, started at sub zero and rose to about 2 degrees by the end of the ride, or is it a low battery?

Comments

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Could be water/condensation on the contacts between the mount and the computer. Pop the computer off and make sure the contacts are dry and clean (wd40 ?).
    I had a similar problem with intermittent reading and found the contacts had rusted. Bit of oil and cleaning and it has been fine since.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    batteries lose performance in the cold, so if the battery is old anyway it'll be much worse in the cold

just rub battery terminals and contacts with a bit of clean photocopier or writing paper, it's mildy abrasive, unless you can see visible corrosion that'll be enough to be sure they're clean
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny