So is the commute on tomorrow?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Very little snow buts 8 degrees of frost this morning.

I'm not too fussed about the cold per se, but cycling on icy roads and sharing them with numpty cagers.

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Tube strike tomorrow, so no choice.
    It'll be super cold, but hoping no ice. No snow forecast in London till later in the week.
    exercise.png
  • Well i'm a Tube worker so......... :lol:

I start nights tomorrow night so actually yes It is on for me! :lol::D
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    It's been snowing here since Wednesday, untouched areas are upto 10" in places now. I coped OK so will be keeping it up, should be fine apart from the ungritted local roads.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,169
    Yep - partly.

Unfortunately stupid here didn't look at the news about the tube strike and left the bike at work on Friday as was feeling pretty knackered after a long day at work. So will have to walk across Central London tomorrow am from Victoria, but will cycle home tomorrow evening provided it ain't snowing too much...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Maybe if I can be bothered, it's just so much easier to be driven in.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • since I live in london ish well yes, was a bit of ice about but should be fine.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Just got to get down to the post office to get orders out, business is going mad!

We had the first real heavy snow fall this evening took a couple of hours to drive home today. Would have been quicker to cycle
  • Rest day for me tomoz and no snow yet but early sub zero slippy starts this week. Not so bad as long as you're careful. Waiting for the snow & quite looking forward to it, whilst hoping the numpties in cars don't get me
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Yes, but it's so cccccccccccold :oops:

Right, on go the shorts and bike gloves, let's do this 8)
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    nich wrote:
    Right, on go the shorts and bike gloves, let's do this 8)

what he said :D
    Hat + Beard
  • It's on, but I'm slightly concerned about conditions. Southampton is ok, if baltic, but I'm off to Bristol today, then tonight on to Nottingham, then on from there to Manchester for Wednesday. I'm glad I can fold my bike up and jump on a bus if necessary! My skinny little Schwalbe Kojaks wouldn't like the snow, I don't think and still less that awful rutted ice you get when it's been slushed, riden and walked through, and the refrozen.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Nottingahm is snowy, but we're just south and it's fairly clear. However the snow did start falling when I cycled in this morning,
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    Made it in although I chose the MTB today, doubt my 23c would have coped with the snow! Roads are an improvement on yesterday (not hard) but very slushy. I even managed to come off, not in traffic though thankfully. My own fault, too fast into a patch of snow and the bike dumped me, result is a holed knee and a banged hip but it was still fun! Way better than driving but I'll be a bit more cautious from now on!!
    I'm more worried about the forecast with -8 on the cards, if it freezes like last year the compacted snow will be like cast iron and very slippy...
  • hatbeard
    was fine on the way in, I even saw some ice! oddly enough it was a handful of large chunks at the side of the road like someone dropped a big block of ice and it had shattered but no more anywhere else which was fine by me.

Was even toasty warm as I overcompensated a little for the cold with three layers on (merino baselayer, my prized new greenwich tritons jersey and my surface hoody). Am thinking I'll get away with the base layer and jersey tomorrow morning unless it gets drastically colder. maybe keep the hoody in my rack bag just in case.

no problems with the feet either in my tatty basketball trainers, sealskinz and tesco value socks either :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • Ermmmm....

I'm really hoping they've got this forecast wrong.

-2°C | °F
    Current: Fog
    Wind: NW at 6 mph
    Humidity: 100%
    Mon
    Mostly Sunny
    1°C | -1°C

Tue
    Chance of Snow
    1°C | -6°C

Wed
    Chance of Snow
    0°C | -3°C

Thu
    Chance of Snow
    0°C | -16°C

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    London - was actually fairly mild. Also managed to get in early enough that I bypassed most of the 'strike drivers'
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • On the train to Bristol, and starting to assume I'll be pushing the Brommie at all points North. Was warm enough this morning in my work shirt and trousers, softshell and Dickies padded jacket, except my hands. Aldi neoprene gloves, Sealskinz merino liners, cold fingers anyway. Bah.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thu
    Chance of Snow
    0°C | -16°C
    Sounds a bit extreme, Coventry is only forecast a drop to -6 on Thursday, so wonder if its a typo for -6!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Seemed to have warmed up a bit this morning. I avoided the most rural route, and the roads were mostly wet rather than icy, so no problems.

There's one bridleway on my route that I usually avoid as it tends to be covered in tractor-deposited mud, but it was covered with a layer of snow this morning, so I went down it - slowly - with a big grin.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Well it was fine once I got to the main roads. However, the snow fairy had been overnight and topped us up to four inches over the compacted ice below, so getting to the main road was a little tricky in places.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    jds_1981 wrote:
    London - was actually fairly mild. Also managed to get in early enough that I bypassed most of the 'strike drivers'

SE London was 0 degrees all the way in.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Decided against bike today.... got the train and decided I don't like trains!
    Will get the MTB ready for tomorrow though, might even venture on the canal path.

Have MTB run on for tonight in the dark and snow.... should be hard going, but fun.... maybe!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:

SE London was 0 degrees all the way in.

Felt quite mild for me at 7am Greenwich-City
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    hatbeard wrote:
    ...my prized new greenwich tritons jersey...

Sounds like an FCN modifier to me, though team kit + trainers is a strange combination :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    jds_1981 wrote:

Mild !!!!

I was 3 layers and still fairly cold. Although the roads were good. No ice on my route.
    exercise.png
  • was icy on some of my back roads today. -3 apparently but not too bad, feet were a little cold
    This fitness lark is getting addictive
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    jds_1981 wrote:

Yup, wore thermals for the first time & ended up rather too warm, but better than the (feared) ice on the road.

Good idea taking the bike, anyway, the queues at the bus stops outside Paddington Station were insane with police shepherding people on & off.
  • I didn't find it too cold this morning - certainly nowhere hear as cold as Friday was, even though it did start to snow as I rode in
  • hatbeard
    dhope wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:
    ...my prized new greenwich tritons jersey...

Sounds like an FCN modifier to me, though team kit + trainers is a strange combination :D

keeps em guessing ;)
    Hat + Beard
  • Good day for a commute - no snow, but loads of frost. 13 miles into a stiffening breeze, a layer of frost on me front as I walked into the foyer. Hope the breeze is with me on the way home tonite....