Which frame, Malt, Scandal or Rock Lobster?

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

After loads of help from you guys, on a different thread, I have had a slight change of direction, and think that I might be better off on an alloy rather than steel frame. Weight will always be an issue for me, so I'm thinking alloy might be the better option. I now have a short list and would appreciate some feedback on the following.....

Malt 1 or 2. I must admit to having had the malt 1 and loved it. My son has it now.
Is the malt 2 much different/better than the malt 1?

Rock Lobster TIG Team

On One Scandal.

As mentioned before I ride like a girl and don't do any daft stuff, and it needs to be light and have some spring at the back.

Thanks,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• The geo of the RL & Malt are very simalar whereas the scandal is quite different. The Merlins are more conventional, whereas the scandal has a longer & lower top tube.
    If you've had a malt before and liked it, i'd say go for the Malt 2 or RL.
    BTW I have an Inbred, same geo as the scandal. I also have a long body & short legs so it suits me perfectly.
  • scazzer
    scazzer Posts: 254
    or even go for malt4......i love mine :P :wink:
  • I had a Scandal 26er and now have a Scandal 29er they are great bikes,go for it!
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    I've also spent time contemplating the exact same conundrum and i decided on the Rock lobste.
  • Darra8
    Noclue wrote:
    I've also spent time contemplating the exact same conundrum and i decided on the Rock lobste.

May I ask why?
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Also look at the Giant XTC...ok new they are around £300..but a great frame and ripe for future upgrades !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Darra8 wrote:
    Noclue wrote:

May I ask why?

Very slightly lighter, more traditional geometry (i like my stems about 90mm not 50mm), and having previously owned a Rock Lobster B52 i have complete faith in Easton tubing and Kinesis production. That said my current HT is an On-one Inbred and i like that alot, but i'd still go for the Tig team over the Scandal because i prefer the looks.
  • Darra8
    Thanks for all your help guys. I went for the 15" Lobster in the end and placed the order for one today. 10% off everything at merlin at the moment :)

Steve