Tights or Arm Warmers?

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I'm looking at getting either some 3/4 tights or some knee warmers to convert my existing stuff into 3/4 length. Baggies over the top obviously :)

I was wondering, which does anyone see as the better option, or is it just personal preference.

Also, would they work with knee pads over the top or is that just stupid?

Many Thanks

Comments

• tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    knee pads. isn't that for skateboarders? :lol:
    I wear 3/4 length bib shorts when it gets chilly and full length tights over that when it is really cold (keeps the nads from frosting up :oops: )
    Knee warmers are a waste of money IMHO and they look cr@p 8)
  • I'm planning on getting some knee warmers for under my tights, I wouldn't have them on show though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MTFU is the required post here :D

(denies all knowledge of any leg warming device I had on today... but they were thermals, not tights :P).

Anyway, I just layer everything, and usually don't do much on the legs other than wear knee pads as they cover part of the shin anyway, but maybe thermals if it's really freezing (like today), though legs didn't really need it. Mainly feel the cold on the face and fingers.
  • Granted, it wasn't too bad once I was going, but all the posts about keeping your knees at a reasonable temperature have made me a bit cautious.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I use leg warmers to convert my existing undershorts into full length tights, Gore windstoppers works a treat and dont slide down, with a nice pair of 3/4s over the top for good measure.

Nice and warm.

Oh and knee pads are for girls, until I fall off and wish I had some.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Proper bib shorts if you can afford a decent pair.

Knee warmers are nice in spring / autumn as you can take them off as needed, but you'll want them all the time in winter. Bib shorts don't fall down and just feel better.
  • I bought normal cheap cycling tights from sports direct.
    They do keep me warm but the
    problem I find with them is that they do fall down and leaves your back bare to the elements.
    I do have baggies over the top but im constantly pulling them up.
    Im on a budget so it was all i can afford.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Endura FS260 Pro knee warmers are most excellent (so I'm told *ahem*) but they have XCJ/roadie overtones so you can only wear them around the house or on solo night rides.

Knee pads are far more manly and you will be fighting the ladies off with a big stick should you decided to wear them.

Knee pads over knee warmers is just wrong in so many ways.