Sean Yates putting the pain on

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited December 2010 in Pro race
Came across this photo on bigringriding.com

Seeing the calm face of Yates and the pain faces of every rider behind is quite something
tumblr_lci158L6oe1qbxnpgo1_400.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• csp
    csp Posts: 777
    And he likes his shorts high up.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    He's rock 'ard.

And a southerner to boot!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    csp wrote:
    And his left heel well in! Did an injury make him pedal like that? His right foot looks like it is pointing straight ahead.
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    edited November 2010
    Always had his brake levers pointing slightly down which was risqué to say the least ....
  • sean yates is a hard bastard. Ever hear the stories of his saddle sores being cut off in the middle of the night.. with a knife/scissors?

not allowed any pain killers as they'd show up in the drug tests... so it was booze only. Other riders said they couldnt sleep because of the screaming. He then went out to ride the next day hungover with home-made stiches rubbing on the saddle all day.
  • Ouch! Thanks for that.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Yep, and he eats hedgehogs - prickles an' all.

@ratsbey
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Yatesy,... what a CV, and unlike most of the Novitsky bandwagon who run the forum, I respect Sean Yates..the guy on Yatesy's wheel needs no introduction I suppose. Still LF IMO ..the best pro rider in the past 25 years. The great Fignon
  • and terry butcher behind him
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Yates was my favourite when I was younger. The man was everything I was/am not. :cry:

Big, huge engine and hard as fuck. Respect to the man.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I wish I had paid more attention as a child.

I like the way they all cut the sleeves - ok if someone else is paying.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Yep - he was my fave as a kid. Loved it when he wore yellow in the tour, and when he won that time trial with a record ave. speed. Happy days.

@ratsbey
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    fearby wrote:
    Always had his brake levers pointing slightly down which was risque to say the least ....

Huh?
  • Scrumple
    look at his hoods, they are below the normal placing
  • Valy
    Yeah, but don't seem that low - all of the older bikes seem to have hoods like that?
  • Scrumple
    photochallenge8.jpg
  • Valy
    That good Sar, I see. THnks for the pic! :D
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Valy wrote:
    Yeah, but don't seem that low - all of the older bikes seem to have hoods like that?
    Not THAT low,check out the pic with LA behind,to see the 'normal'position of the brake levers
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Scrumple wrote:
    photochallenge8.jpg

Cant imagine its comfortable but maybe thats the point. Yates is such a beast that he wants to be uncomfortable, if he wasn't then he wouldn't be satisfied. Hero
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Came across this photo on bigringriding.com

Seeing the calm face of Yates and the pain faces of every rider behind is quite something

I think that picture is from the Alpe d'Huez stage of the 1992 Tour, won by Yates' team-mate, Andy Hampsten.

Yates is in the autobus, riding to make the time limit so isn't putting the hurt on to the group behind. The heat, the climb and the cumulative fatigue is doing that.

That stage was one of the very rare occasions where Fignon finished with the autobus, after a failed attempt earlier in the stage to get his team leader, Gianni Bugno, away from the yellow jersey group.
  • Scrumple
    The same beast who used to get off his bike and have a rest on the Alp D'Huez?

Hmmm
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    andyp wrote:

I think that picture is from the Alpe d'Huez stage of the 1992 Tour, won by Yates' team-mate, Andy Hampsten.

Yates is in the autobus, riding to make the time limit so isn't putting the hurt on to the group behind. The heat, the climb and the cumulative fatigue is doing that.

That stage was one of the very rare occasions where Fignon finished with the autobus, after a failed attempt earlier in the stage to get his team leader, Gianni Bugno, away from the yellow jersey group.
    1992 it is.
    You all seem to have missed it.
    This Time Trial machine that could sit on the front of the peloton with such a high Tempo, was in Fact the British Road Race Champion of 1992. (note the tongue) (he has also won the USA Pro Road Race Championship also with the nominated USA Champion & Jersey at about 4th place)
    This Dummy made the mistake of asking him where the Championship Jersey was before the TT start in Tours.
    The pleasant answer given was the team didn't give him a "Skinsuit" in that design.
    These days of course there is a seperate British TT jersey.
    I told him he looked good on TV while riding next to the World Road Race Champion Giani Bugno.

A side note is that I have lost one of my favourite (cycling weekly) photo's of him riding the 1993 Paris-Roubaix in that jersey and his ear ring. (yes I asked Graham Watson who has had a clear out he says)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I remember Yates crashing on stage 15 of the 1991 Tour de France when he was riding for the Motorola team. A brake lever cut an artery or large vein in his arm and blood was pouring out of the wound. He got somebody to stick a tourniquet on it and then set off in pursuit of the peloton. He rode 50 miles to finish the stage but was forced to abandon the next day... :shock:
  • I just like the fact that he called LA "boy".
  • ColinJ wrote:
    I remember Yates crashing on stage 15 of the 1991 Tour de France when he was riding for the Motorola team. A brake lever cut an artery or large vein in his arm and blood was pouring out of the wound. He got somebody to stick a tourniquet on it and then set off in pursuit of the peloton. He rode 50 miles to finish the stage but was forced to abandon the next day... :shock:

I remember that stage well as there was a picture in Cycling Weekly at the time of Yates chasing (and eventually catching) the bunch. I looked everywhere for it online some time ago for the 'favourite cycling picture' thread on Bike Radar but couldn't find it. For me it personifies just how hard pro cycling is and in particular why Yates remains such a hero to many.

Harder than nails.
  • wiffachip wrote:
    and terry butcher behind him

:lol::lol::lol:
  • I vote for Dirk de Wolf doing the Terry Butcher impression (he was in that group). There were 12 abandons / HD that day, including LeMond.

Was it also the day Millar got brought down by a spectator, attacking with Bugno?
  • ColinJ wrote:
    csp wrote:
    And his left heel well in! Did an injury make him pedal like that? His right foot looks like it is pointing straight ahead.

Cannot remember the details but there is something in the book Roule Britannia that explains it. Hip injury I think
    Cobbles are all very well but I'd rather be riding towards the South of France
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    Barry Nice wrote:
    ColinJ wrote:
    csp wrote:

Cannot remember the details but there is something in the book Roule Britannia that explains it. Hip injury I think

Yep, he used to ride with a shoe made with inserts to try to correct it. Another one of his fanclub here - sure I saw him riding the Tumble in the big ring in the early 90s (in the days when you didn'y have dinner plates on the back as well!) but could be wrong on that. Might not be the best DS in the world, probably because he wasn't exactly a 'normal' rider in his own days, but was a superb cyclist.
  • How tall was he