Trek 1200 SL - 2006 - Is it worth it??

hoakin1981
hoakin1981 Posts: 23
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Fellow riders. Need your kind advice on the subj. matter. I have found a used 2006 model TREK 1200 SL for 450 Euros which is abt 380 GBP and i would like to know if the price is good. I have not actually seen the bike yet (only photos) therefore i cannot comment on its condition. I was thinking of buying it & upgrading it later on. If anyone has any experience from this model would appreciate your feedback. I am looking for my first road bike and i can describe myself as an enthousiastic rider who is willing to do some serious mileage but not willing to pay too much. :wink:

Any comments, ideas, suggestions most welcome. Many thanks in advance for yr time. :D

Comments

• It's a fine bike with a Tiagra groupset and a very good frame. I think they used to retail for £800 but I remember them sometimes being marked down to £600ish.

£380 is not a steal, but you're not being ripped off either. It's a fair price if the bike is in good nick.

They're a fairly neutral ride, although you'll find any road bike a bit twitchy coming from MTBing.

Ideal first bike and the frame is worthy of upgrading later on, it will last you for years and when you buy another one, (you will) use it as a winter trainer
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • Hi I have one.
    I bought mine for £300 in virtually as new condition about 2 years ago.Given how much bike prices have gne up though,it not a bad price.Something of a similar quality now would probably be £800 new.
    Its a good bike,mine has clocked up a decent mileage in the company of much more expensive bikes and not disgraced itself.
    Only slight drawback is the traditional 53,59 chainset if you are coming from an mtb.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I have a 2003 trek 1200. It was my first road bike after my conversion from mtb'ing. I still have it although its in the garage in several bits. A cracking bike thats done thousands and thousands of miles. BUY IT!
  • Fellow riders. Thank you very much for yr replies, from what i understand the bike is worth the price wanted. However i have just been informed by the owner that the fork is also made from Aluminum not carbon, is this possible?? After checking the TREK website (the Archive of 2006) models i saw that the fork MUST be Bontrager, carbon. I am beginning to think that the specific owner has no idea..what he is talking about because i asked about it's weight and he said it must be approx 14 pounds which is impossible...

Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter furthermore would appreciate if someone could let me know the actual weight of the model.

Many many thanks in advance. :D
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Where abouts are you based hoakin?

I'm just about to list a 2001 Trek 1000 on eBay. Obviously it's older than the bike you're looking at. the forks are Chro-Moly. But it's a good solid bike and a lot cheaper than the one that you're looking at. It would make a great first road bike or a 2nd bike for winter training or commuting.

It's got a 58cm frame, brand new tyres (Vittoria Zaffiros, rated to 145psi), Sora groupset and it's a triple. It would appear to have a pretty low mileage for the year. I've put a chain checker on it and the chain is a long way from needing replacing. I'm in East Sussex. Let me know if you're interested?

It's a reluctant sale but I live in a 1 bed basement flat and need the space.
  • Here is as good a review for the bike as you'll find.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/sports-equipment/trek-1200-double-2006/1139898/

As I said earlier a fine bike. I had one in around 2000/01 and I really enjoyed riding it. I ended up selling it a couple of years later and regret doing that. The guy I sold it to is still riding around on it though, but has upgraded a few bits since then. In terms of weight I remember that mine weighed exactly 20lbs I can't remember what size it was though. I sold it because it was slightly too big for me so probably a 58cm, maybe a 60cm.

Definitely had carbon forks though, Bontragers IIRC and by pure coincidence I noticed one in the car park before this mornings ride. I remembered this thread and asked the bloke about it. He loves it, it's his winter bike it's a 2006 model and has carbon forks. So either

i) The vendor has replaced the forks...maybe it was in a crash
    ii) It does in fact have carbon forks and the vendor does not know anything about the bike
    iii) If (ii) above the vendor is perhaps just a bit of a numpty or the bike is stolen.

All you can do is go along and have look...come on, what are you waiting for?
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • AndyOgy wrote:

I'm just about to list a 2001 Trek 1000 on eBay. Obviously it's older than the bike you're looking at. the forks are Chro-Moly. But it's a good solid bike and a lot cheaper than the one that you're looking at. It would make a great first road bike or a 2nd bike for winter training or commuting.

It's got a 58cm frame, brand new tyres (Vittoria Zaffiros, rated to 145psi), Sora groupset and it's a triple. It would appear to have a pretty low mileage for the year. I've put a chain checker on it and the chain is a long way from needing replacing. I'm in East Sussex. Let me know if you're interested?

Andy, without jumping in ahead of hoakin's first refusal. I'd be interested in that as a permanent TT bike. You'd have to post it though, to the Channels Islands, are you OK with the hassle of boxing it up or are you looking for local pick up?
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    AndyOgy wrote:

Andy, without jumping in ahead of hoakin's first refusal. I'd be interested in that as a permanent TT bike. You'd have to post it though, to the Channels Islands, are you OK with the hassle of boxing it up or are you looking for local pick up?

I was looking for a local pick up really. Mostly because I've never posted a bike before and it sounds like a lot of hassle/expensive. It's not entirely out of the question though, I suppose.

Would you be interested at £175 plus whatever it costs to post?
  • Would you be interested at £175 plus whatever it costs to post?

Possibly, it depends what sort of condition it's in. Can you send some pics.

As far as posting goes it's a piece of cake. LBS might even do it for you if you ask nicely.

I've just posted one from here to the UK for £20.00 insured, so not expensive
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • First of all Andy thanks for the offer but since i live in a country on the other end of Europe buying your TREK is science fiction. I need your help guys one last time, i have arranged to go & have a look at the bike but i would like to know what excactly to keep an eye out for. How to i establish if the fork is carbon or aluminum, what else should i check, the bike is supposed to have veeery little mileage on it, any way of confirming that?

Basically i need a few tips on what elements make a good used bike.

Any comments much appreciated. Many thanks... :wink:
  • i bought a 2006 1200sl last year and paid 275 just to giv u an idea for it. my one has carbon forks
  • Check all over the frame for cracks but particularly behind the head tube, seat tube, bottom bracket and bottle bosses.

Check the cogs to see if they look worn better still take a chain checker and see how much the chain has worn.

High mileage on a bike is obvious:-stone chips on the underside of the down tube, rusty bolt heads, rusty cables, pedal axles etc.

As for telling whether the fork is carbon, if it doesn't already say so on the fork - which it should - flick it with your finger. Does it ding. Then it's metal
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    i have had a 2006 trek 1000SL since new. it was the model below the 1200 but (i think) had the same frame. i've been pleased with mine and have been surprised how well it has taken all of the abuse i have thrown at it.

i'd say the price is about right.