bontrager race mountain shoes 2011 fitting cleats

chrishumes
chrishumes Posts: 227
edited November 2010 in The workshop
anyone got these shoes (currently £50 from evans). could someone tell me how to fit the cleats?!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just screw them to the base plate.

Ok what is your actual problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • esd
    esd Posts: 36
    need to cut the rubber cover of sole of shoe first..its where the cleat would fit...I usally score one edge with stanley knife gently and it peels off quite easily...then have the slots visible...I use spds.
  • yeah wanted to fit spd's. seems a bit odd that you have to do that, but i did search and found a similar thread, so cheers esd
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most MTB SPD shoes do require the "cover" removing, this is normally with the instructions.
    Also be aware that if you have to fit the bolt plate there is often a waterproof sticky sheet to apply over it before re fitting the insole.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cheers nick, i did see that in the instructions for the cleats, but the shoes did not come with instructions. the removable rubber part is not removable, and there was no waterproof sticky! im tempted to pop to evans where i bought them to get them to fit them as thats where i got them.
  • right guys, i decided to take the plunge and take a stanley knive to them, and glad i did as its so easy. thought id update this for others, you basically just cut around the square which reveals the cleat mounting holes, fit the cleat and job done.

they are nice shoes for the price and look smart to wear normally, hard enough sole to put power through the pedals as well. would recommend for £50.