Snow news!!

2»

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    21 inches in my back door yesterday morning it's compacted to about 18 now.

About the same here in Aviemore, and -11C this morning. Brilliant weather for cross country skiing :-) I love the looks from the tourists when you ski past them on the pavement!

They've had about 40" on Cairngorm.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    unixnerd wrote:
    21 inches in my back door yesterday morning it's compacted to about 18 now.

About the same here in Aviemore, and -11C this morning. Brilliant weather for cross country skiing :-) I love the looks from the tourists when you ski past them on the pavement!

They've had about 40" on Cairngorm.

I suppose the one big plus in all this is the economy of the Ski centres, Glenshee, Lecht and Cairngorm, doesn't make digging the car out for work every morning any easier!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Had about 1cm of snow overnight, tried to get my Mini (new style) up the 10% hill to the stables only to find it had been compacted down to a few mms of ice, lost momentum on a bend and that was it, the pile of cr@p car wouldn't get any further. Bloody German engineering, proper Minis used to excel in the snow :x Did the whole of last winter in a Frontera with no problems at all, even the wife's Peugeot managed it. Time to dust of the Frontera and get it taxed and MOT'd I think.
  • Me and my big mouth. Just under an inch of snow & 60% of one of the departments I work for hasn't made it to work today, including the Manager the useless cat funt.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Proper Minis had very narrow tyres, just the job in snow. Get your Mini a used set of 16" wheels and some proper snow tyres for them. Most modern tyres are hopeless in snow. They're too wide, made of compounds which last really well but aren't pliable in cold temperatures and worst of all have a solid band around the middle to improve handling - this stops them digging in.

The Germans have far harder winters than us, but far more of them run snow tyres.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Pross
    unixnerd wrote:
    Proper Minis had very narrow tyres, just the job in snow. Get your Mini a used set of 16" wheels and some proper snow tyres for them. Most modern tyres are hopeless in snow. They're too wide, made of compounds which last really well but aren't pliable in cold temperatures and worst of all have a solid band around the middle to improve handling - this stops them digging in.

The Germans have far harder winters than us, but far more of them run snow tyres.

I would get some other wheels but it's a company car and goes back in March. The current tyres are 205 wide so yes, rubbish for the snow and probably the reason why my wife's basic Peugeot is better. Not sure about the tyres being harder wearing though - just had 2 new front ones after the others wore down to the wire on the edges in less than 10,000 miles, at £150 each I'm glad I didn't have to pay for them. If we got weather like this every year it would be worth investing in snow tyres, chains etc. but if I spent a few hundred on those things now you can guarantee it wouldn't snow for 5 years!
  • Pross wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

I would get some other wheels but it's a company car and goes back in March. The current tyres are 205 wide so yes, rubbish for the snow and probably the reason why my wife's basic Peugeot is better. Not sure about the tyres being harder wearing though - just had 2 new front ones after the others wore down to the wire on the edges in less than 10,000 miles, at £150 each I'm glad I didn't have to pay for them. If we got weather like this every year it would be worth investing in snow tyres, chains etc. but if I spent a few hundred on those things now you can guarantee it wouldn't snow for 5 years!

If the wear is on both edges you should pump the tyres up a bit more often. If its just on one edge you should stop driving like a maniac :lol: 10000 miles isn't a lot. £300 for tyres that size is though. I pay £100 each for pirelli 215. Finally, how did you not notice your tyres were that far worn? :shock:
  • Pross
    I checked them weekly, it was just a very thin margin about 5mm wide on the outside edge of one tyre, looked like it had rubbed on something the rest was just about legal and the centre still had 2mm or so. I knew that they were worn on the outside edge and was due to get them replaced. They're run flats which probably explains the cost but as I don't pay I don't care how much they cost to be honest. The bloke in Kwik Fit reckoned that BMW fit the front shocks "backwards" (I assume to improve handling) but this causes excessive wear on the outside edges and he reckoned 10000 miles is pretty normal :shock:
  • Pross wrote:
    - just had 2 new front ones after the others wore down to the wire on the edges in less than 10,000 miles....!

Holy cow. The legal tread limit is 1.6mm ? I change my tyres at 3mm, but then again I'm paranoid about tyres as I had a serious car crash because of a front tyre failure.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    - just had 2 new front ones after the others wore down to the wire on the edges in less than 10,000 miles....!

Holy cow. The legal tread limit is 1.6mm ? I change my tyres at 3mm, but then again I'm paranoid about tyres as I had a serious car crash because of a front tyre failure.

I know, I check them weekly as I said and get them replaced as soon as they go below 2mm as they don't cost me - these wore so quickly though they caught me by surprise. I'm not sure what happened as other than a 5mm strip on the edge the rest of the tyre was just about legal. I've never had a car that comes close to the Mini for wearing front tyres. Had a puncture in the last set and as Kwik Fit didn't have the lease company's preferred make in the lease company tried to force Kwik Fit to put the old one back on despite the tyre fitter saying it was unsafe - fortunately the tyre fitter won the argument!
  • dodgy wrote:

Why do people always do this? I suppose someone is going to moan about "the country grinding to a halt over a few flakes of snow".

Should we invest in several thousand snow ploughs with crews on standby like they do in NYC? Of course not, snow is still comparatively rare in this country.

Would a temperature of 'only' -1C be a story in say Capetown in December? Of course it would! Perspective!

To be fair I totally agree with the OP, today BBC 6 O' clock news took almost 20 of a 25 minute news bulletin reporting on the snow! :?

Yes snow isn't that common in the UK, but then again for the last 10 or so years snow has fallen most Winters.
    Widespread snow might warrant a mention on the news but not headline news :roll:

When we get snow in July.....then maybe it might warrant headline status......but not in Winter albeit a few weeks earlier than normal.

As for the "stranded" car drivers and accidents on the road......well it's the same old story......it's nots so much the snow that causes the chaos.....it is people not taking due care and attention on the roads, or making sure the vehicle/tyres is up to the job.

It's snowing......it's Winter weather........GET OVER IT!.........can we get back to what's actually going on in the world?

As Gordon Geeko might say " Snow is for wimps". :o
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    The reason the bad weather has become prime time news, is because it has now ventured south of the M18, one day of snow and Gatwick airport closes? come off it!!
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    brin wrote:
    The reason the bad weather has become prime time news, is because it has now ventured south of the M18, one day of snow and Gatwick airport closes? come off it!!

I agree it was ony one day of snow but we've had over 8 inches where I live - I have NEVER seen that much snow in South London & I'm 43. Back in March it was about an inch,maybe two.
    A bit of snow & chaos would be shoot but the absolute trucckload we've had & chaos is not that surprising.

You may wish to look at the status of Geneva airport if you're saying Gatwick shutting is a disgrace - it snows a lot every year in Geneva & they've had to shut the airport for the last day or so..
  • Pretre wrote:
    I agree it was ony one day of snow but we've had over 8 inches where I live - I have NEVER seen that much snow in South London & I'm 43. Back in March it was about an inch,maybe two.
    A bit of snow & chaos would be shoot but the absolute trucckload we've had & chaos is not that surprising.

I am the same age as you and spent my first 18 years living in Somerset, I can't recall the exact year but when I was about 10 there was one one Winter when snow drifts came to the top of the door frame, so was approx 6- 7 FT high! :shock:

We literally had to dig ourselves out of our front door with a shovel, and found that the whole street had the same level of snow.

So when people talk about "8 inches of snow!" .....It's kinda like chicken feed! :wink:
  • Weejie54 wrote:
    It was -12C here this morning - and we'd had a power cut from 2am Sunday - came back on around 11am.. Snow is about 16 inches deep where it hasn't been dug. With the constant shovelling to keep the driveways clear, there are piles 5 feet high each side of the drive.
    Last winter, from December 18th until March 21st, there wasn't a day without some snow in the back garden. This ranged from 2 feet deep to a few patches on the lawn - but not a day without any.

Where is 'here'? Asked people some time ago why they don't put a (general) location - be useful esp. in the sales forums or in this type of thing.. Got a lot of telling off re:privacy issues. I'm in Dublin - general enough without being too specific. BTW - piddled snow all day here, roads awful, still saw cyclists in the dark with no lights....
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    klambo wrote:
    Pretre wrote:

I am the same age as you and spent my first 18 years living in Somerset, I can't recall the exact year but when I was about 10 there was one one Winter when snow drifts came to the top of the door frame, so was approx 6- 7 FT high! :shock:

We literally had to dig ourselves out of our front door with a shovel, and found that the whole street had the same level of snow.

So when people talk about "8 inches of snow!" .....It's kinda like chicken feed! :wink:

i remember when i was about 10 too, that winter we also had drifts up to the top of our door frame, we lived on the 9th floor of a tower block.......it's tough up north :wink::wink:
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Where is 'here'?
    North East Scotland.

Talking of drifts, I used to live in the Northern Isles, and was prevented from getting home one winter in the seventies by 17 foot drifts in Caithness. That was the time when a motorist was buried and used a tube pushed through the snow to provide air.
    The council bought snow blasting equipment after that.
    Fortunately, this bout of snow hasn't come with strong winds - not yet, at least.
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    On the hill 4 miles above Stonehaven, we live at around 700ft amsl.

Temperature this morning betwen -18 and -20°C just to add to the 24 inches of snow in the back door. We've had no snow clearing operation by the shire, I suspect my run home from night shift will be fun!!

• The woman is indeed stupid for reporting the theft of her snowman, but that said..........
    It seems that it is not only the media that seem to have lost their senses about the snow.
    As the BBC article also states:

"The force said the call was made at the same time as operators fielded thousands of other phone calls about the heavy snowfall and sub-zero temperatures in the county."

So as well as this silly woman you also have thousands of other numbskulls phoning the police because of the weather! :roll:

I wonder what on these people are phoning the police about? :roll: