shimano gear parts

ct4oc
ct4oc Posts: 98
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm running sora at the moment, if i want to gradually upgrade to ultegra would I be able to fit a ultegra cassette and still run my sora derailleur / levers etc? 8)

Comments

• unlikley as the spacing between pinons on the cassett varys from manufacturer to manufacturer,
    b´Twin
    mavic kyserium sl's
    campag chorus
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    darrentodd wrote:
    unlikley as the spacing between pinons on the cassett varys from manufacturer to manufacturer,
    Aren't they made by the same manufacturer? :?
  • whoops! yes they are a case of should have plugged my brain in before replying.
    b´Twin
    mavic kyserium sl's
    campag chorus
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Sora 8 or 9 speed? Tiagra is 9, so if you're on Sora 8 you'll need to swap STIs and cassette at the same time.
  • ct4oc
    it's a 9 speed, can i go for a 10 speed and stick with the same derailleur and shifter?
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    I think you will be better off changing more than just one bit at a time. If you change the cassette now, by the time you decide to change the mech the cassette will already have some wear.

I would say change the cassette, mech and chain first and then look at the shifters

A 6600 series mech is a real workhorse and there are plenty still available new

If you go 10 speed you'll have to change to 10-speed shifters

I have 6700 mech+cassette and they work fine with the older 6600 shifters (10 speed)
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I did the following:
    1. Downtube shifters -> 7 speed Sora STI
    2. Old Surace mech -> Tiagra 9sp rear mech
    3. Old freewheen wheels -> freehub wheels + new 7 spd cassette & chain
    4. old double chainset -> FSA 9/10 speed compact
    5. Replaced Sora STIs etc with Cheap DuraAce 10spd from ebay, 105 cassette and KMC chain.

As everyone else hs said, you have to do the shifters/casette/chain at the same time.
  • ct4oc
    cool, thank you for that, I think I'll have a look at a complete shifter, cassette, mech, chain set. 8)
  • Please forget what many people have said here it is factually incorrect.

You can't use 9sp shifters with a 10sp cassette, as the shifter pull the incorrect amount of cable. 10sp cassette sprockets are spaced closer together and therefore a 9sp shifter will pull too much cable causing the chain to over shift. The 9 speed chain will also be too wide for a 10sp cassette and therefore make the transmission very noisy or jam. Basically the rule is the shifter, cassette and chain have to match in terms of number of speeds.

The best upgrades to start with would probably be tyre and wheels but if you want to start with the groupset your best bet would be a Ultegra rear mech, and a better quality chainset. With both of those items you can use 10sp versions without any compatability issues.
  • WHS ^^^^

If you want to go to 10 speed, as a minimum you will need 10 speed shifters, 10 speed cassette and a 10 speed chain. Everything else you`ve got will work OK with 10 speed, ie chainset and front and rear mechs.

Look for second-hand Ultegra 6600 10 speed shifters, go for between £75 - £100 for a good set, seem to be pretty robust compared to the lower spec groupset stuff (like old Shimano 105 (5600 model) which has a known problem with the left hand shifter breaking and un-fixable)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2