Progress at Olympic MTB Site

Comments

• Don't think the racers are wimpy.

But some of the courses are a bit limp :p i mean naturally round me We have decents that are as good as some national DH courses, and loads of locals ride them and this is normal. Guess its a privelage of area.

So to me this XC racing doesn't reflect the general Mountain Bike scene. though I'm not saying it isn't fun todo.
    I also am not sure the olympics is the great show case event for the sport at all it's all very biased in terms of what it shows of the whole sport. There is too much chaff in the olympics now and i think it needs to be trimmed.. alot.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Someone commented that any sport where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle shouldn't in the Olympics, eg football, tennis etc. Which I think is a good point.

Is it for cycling? I'm not sure it is, aside from the track.
    But some of the courses are a bit limp

Well of course they are, depending on the yardstick. Comparing to natural trails is always going to be flawed. There are completely vertical rock faces which are more technical than the Red Bull Rampage terrain.

The 'general MTB scene' really seems to involve doing more talking than riding and avoiding exertion wherever possible, so any sort of race isn't really representative!
  • true i do see more people standing int he Middle of Cwm than blasting round it when I'm there lol.

All though i do like social group rides with loads of chatting, which does require a stop after some down, to claim how much better than your mates you were, or offer a damn good excuse lol.

I actually think the national series DH actually reflects a good amount of UK riders that i know.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Someone commented that any sport where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle shouldn't in the Olympics, eg football, tennis etc. Which I think is a good point.

Is it for cycling? I'm not sure it is, aside from the track.
    But some of the courses are a bit limp

Well of course they are, depending on the yardstick. Comparing to natural trails is always going to be flawed. There are completely vertical rock faces which are more technical than the Red Bull Rampage terrain.

The 'general MTB scene' really seems to involve doing more talking than riding and avoiding exertion wherever possible, so any sort of race isn't really representative!

I totally agree on this point I would qualify it more as a hobby leisure than a spor in many cases. Just because you don’t get the sporty (physical )discipline and goals you d get when you play rugby road ride, or even proper xc rides. Basically most other sports you prepare and train for a competition at some kind of level.
    But unfortunately there is a huge gap between XC and DH, where most riders are. Up to now I have to be out of uk to race how I like to ride.

The closest thing I d say is European enduro races, so stage racing where you have to go up and down but the down is timed and has more value than the up hills. Should be coming in UK this new year. And I am looking forwards too.

A format that could have been good for XC racing Olympics would be something like the French Transvesubienne, very tough, would be like doing a coast to coast in Scotland.

Hopefully this will draw more attention to MTB and so attract more funds to develop the sport.
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    supra-man wrote:

The closest thing I d say is European enduro races, so stage racing where you have to go up and down but the down is timed and has more value than the up hills. Should be coming in UK this new year. And I am looking forwards too.

A format that could have been good for XC racing Olympics would be something like the French Transvesubienne, very tough, would be like doing a coast to coast in Scotland.

Hopefully this will draw more attention to MTB and so attract more funds to develop the sport.

coming next year? its been here for a couple of years....

there was a round of the avalanche cup at glentress a couple of years ago, then theres the ae enduro....

this year saw the first of the tour de ben nevis races organised by no fuss...it was a point to point race, with special stages for extra points...

so basically, first to the finish line got the most points, people who placed first in the special stages got some points...and the person with the most points at the end wins....

to me...that represents what most of us do as mountain biking...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:

coming next year? its been here for a couple of years....

there was a round of the avalanche cup at glentress a couple of years ago, then theres the ae enduro....

this year saw the first of the tour de ben nevis races organised by no fuss...it was a point to point race, with special stages for extra points...

so basically, first to the finish line got the most points, people who placed first in the special stages got some points...and the person with the most points at the end wins....

to me...that represents what most of us do as mountain biking...

yes true but there are nt much of them. in 2011 first UK "euro style" enduro championship. 6 or seven races at vrious places in wales scotland england. similar to the no fuss event I missed.
    we agree that is the closest to a general MTB riding. :wink:
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • Exactly,

I think Njee is a bit wrong as i have met some astoundinly fit people this year who ride for miles and miles, But i get what you mean there is a strong contigent of people who just stand around centers and car parks with bikes going no where.

But I think CEE got what i meant across best, with what is representative of the sport. I mean XC racing really has the least to do with the riding most people i know do.
  • njee20
    That's gonna depend who you ride with! If I go out I ride my bike, I don't stop and chat much, if at all, tend to climb fairly hard and enjoy the descents. That's all XC racing is!
  • See i see huge decents and good distance not a 6k repeated loop i zoom round and round.

This to me is a huge difference.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    njee20 wrote:
    That's gonna depend who you ride with! If I go out I ride my bike, I don't stop and chat much, if at all, tend to climb fairly hard and enjoy the descents. That's all XC racing is!

its the short lap format that i do not think is representative....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ooo nice, but from Afan i can see bits of Port Talbot Steel works mate :p
    Good point :D.

Though the windmills can be attractive depending on your point of view.
    njee20 wrote:
    Very true. Though in our group rides we do plenty of exertion, just that we stop and talk a lot more. Hence we're out all day.

Though as I've always said, climbs and speed are not what I do it for. Distance is okay, but I'm mainly in it for the fun of the descents, exploring, finding new trails, and I'd like to get into a bit of freestyle but fear I'm too old to have the no fear confidence. Generally weekend warrior sociable stuff, having a laugh. Not really the kind of audience for the Olympics.
    But i get what you mean there is a strong contigent of people who just stand around centers and car parks with bikes going no where.
    There are also a strong contingent of people who just turn up to group rides, ride as hard and fast as possible and bugger off home again without talking to anyone :D.
  • njee20
    Group rides are always a difficult one. I personally have no problem riding as slowly as is necessary to not leave folk behind, but I get very bored of stopping lots! It's not really an unsociable thing, I'd not leave a group I was riding with unless it got ridiculous, but I just find it a massive waste of time, I'd rather plod on at 2mph!
    Though in our group rides we do plenty of exertion, just that we stop and talk a lot more. Hence we're out all day.

I did say that most folk avoid unnecessary exertion, ie most people just plod up the climbs rather than sprinting up them.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    We are far more likely to spend a day on a national DH course on an uplift day than on a national XC course as there just not really that fun to ride and don't represent what the majority of the sport is.

The world cup XC route at fort william is pretty nice- basically a fairly standard red graded trail centre loop but with added horrible climbs.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hi all, just stumbled across this topic - I live quite near to the Olympic site and have been going over there quite a bit over the past few months to see how its coming along... The area's a lot bigger than I thought it would be, with new features being added all the time. Here's a couple of pics i've taken, I'll try and get some more next time if anyone's interested?

http://img573.imageshack.us/i/photofn.jpg

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/photo3fo.jpg

http://img546.imageshack.us/i/hadleighfarmsite028.jpg
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I'm just hoping it stays open after the Olympics, I wouldn't mind volunteering a few weekends to help keep it going, it's literally just under 8 miles away from my front door.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's all going to depend on the land owner and money. Volunteers doing digs isn't going to pay for the field. Woodland is another matter as they are working environments with money in trees or scraps of land on an estate with no other value.

Plus riders on the land means risk to the landowner and expensive insurances.
  • starkee
    starkee Posts: 143
    iirc the land is owned by the Salvation Army ? so maybe a donation to ride/ park car means they will be making some revenue where they were not before ?
  • malc101
    malc101 Posts: 115
    english_cj - from your photos i think the route is beginning to look pretty good. I am keen to see some more. Especially none media selected etc.

The route is bound to take time to look like a challenge. As it seems to be mostly man made on the hills it will need technical difficulty added in. This finishing touches will not be in half way through the build, only now will the detail emerge.

I am a big fan of mountain biking and the Olympics in general. So having a site near to London is great. I agree that this is a good venue and see the merits/media reasons why the course needs to be this way. I would love it to be in Afan or Dalby, both places i love. However it is too far for the athletes, media and public to travel. So having a brand new venue which i am sure will be open to the public afterwards...remember the word legacy. I hope i get to ride this route once the games are over.
    MTB - 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1
    Road - 2005 Lemond Maillot Jaune with 2013 105 and 2014 Fulcrum 5's
    Winter Hack - 2005 Marin Rocky Ridge with 1x9 and Rigid Conversion (On Going)
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    I'm just hoping it stays open after the Olympics, I wouldn't mind volunteering a few weekends to help keep it going, it's literally just under 8 miles away from my front door.

I'm similar, about 5 miles from me, I'd also be up for some volunteer work...My understanding is it will remain open...Minus the gnarly bits :cry:

Anyone had a sneaky ride yet? I'm tempted.

I've gotta say that although I'm pleased its very local to me I think the access and parking to the castle and park is possibly the worse you could find on the planet!!....
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Fenred wrote:
    I've gotta say that although I'm pleased its very local to me I think the access and parking to the castle and park is possibly the worse you could find on the planet!!....
    Nail on the Head. of all the places ive riden over the country this has to have the worst access to it!
    You know what rush hour traffic can be like down the A13/A127 imagine the olimpic traffic added to it!!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Fenred
    Yep, I use the A127/A13/A130 junction every day, it's a disaster zone as it is! Olympic traffic thrown into the mix?!?!....Oooooh deep joy! :roll:

Think i'll prob ride down when the event's on...Or camp the other side of the water and get the old bino's out.
  • VWsurfbum
    there's a posability that my wife could be working it? she had the opertunity at work to put her name forward and she's waiting to hear if she got it. Obviously i have to go with her to make sure she's ok.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Fenred
    Oh absolutely she'll need a chaprone! Lucky you, if you manage to secure a VIP area let me know and I'll bring a bucket of beer :D
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    Won't the course stink of rat pi$$ if it's in/near london???
    Guinness for strength
  • VWsurfbum
    Lol not that I'm aware of?
    Can't think of the last time Issa a rat, it's not like dickens novels anymore mate, no smog about either lol
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Can't think of the last time Issa a rat, it's not like dickens novels anymore mate, no smog about either lol

The place is infested with them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12204011

chelsea have just spent £50m on one too.
    Guinness for strength
  • njee20
    Re the travel there won't be any on site parking for spectators, it'll all be public transport, which was meant to be included it ticket prices. For the athletes etc there's designated 'Olympic Route Network' roads, on which they will have priority, so traffic shouldn't be a problem.
  • is it that smooth so all the roadies can bring their x-bikes?

Even the "rock garden" is smoother than my dads effort at a stone path in the back garden!

I don't mind xc races, but i'd rather watch it for a combo of riding skill and fitness.... not just who can spin the cranks the quickest for longest.

They may as well just ride around the roads in hilly sheffield.
  • VWsurfbum
    Zziplex wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Can't think of the last time I saw a rat, it's not like dickens novels anymore mate, no smog about either lol

The place is infested with them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12204011

chelsea have just spent £50m on one too.
    LOL If it made the news it was pretty rare occourance
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Zziplex wrote:
    Won't the course stink of rat pi$$ if it's in/near london???

It will a bit, but its slightly better than working down coal mines for 16 hours a day.

:D
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro