Ribble decision help

marcaudsley
marcaudsley Posts: 187
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi all
Thinking of buying new road bike.
Decision is between Ribble Gran Fondo or new Sportive.
Use for commuting and training rides (i ride a MTB aswell)
Is the Sportive more of a race geometry? Or are they very similar?
Also Sram or Camapag? Like the look of both but not sure about the campag thumb shift.
Any advice is appreciated
Cheers

Comments

• take the hour to drive to their shop and try them out. They're a bit different and you might find one suits you better than the other.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • WHS ^^^^^^ the GF is a great looking frame "in the flesh". The magazine pics don`t do it anywhere near proper justice. You can`t see the shaping in the seatstays etc. New Sportive looks a bit "plain" IMO.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • yeah will have a drive over next week. bit excited now
  • Hi

I have just complete a Gran Fondo build, photo on Road section, Your Road Bikes, P3.
    I went for the Fondo as the frame shape and colour scheme was more striking than the New Sportive, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
    Would recommend visiting the showroom to see for yourself but I do not think they will let you have a test ride.

I have always used Campag so when for the Chorus group-set, used Shimano on hire bikes and prefer Campag, thumb shifting is no problem for me. Never used Sram so cannot comment again will come down to personal choice.

I have only done a few short 20-30 mile rides but the bike feels great much better than my old aluminum Terry Dolan frame, very stiff, light at the front and excellent out of the saddle on the climbs.

Hope this helps & Good luck.
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    i went for the fondo( check my sig) looks awsome. i got campag too as i used to ride mtb and used sram xo, so the thumb reminded me of the way the xo worked(if that makes sence).
  • hmmm would seriously consider lowering the front of your saddle - or you will become Mr Numb Nuts :D