Here we go again.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
No, not the "80's Whitesnake lullaby....

Wet smelly kit....

Our wonderful facilities people placed lockers on a fire exit landing for the cycle/jogging and motorbike users to store kit.

After 5 years of use, bearing in mind we have 1 shower in the office, someone has decided that wet kit smells.....

So, what do facilities do:

a, provide drying racks and more storage?

b, re-dsign whole area and have a contractor knock the building about to support the needs of the employees?

c, Put a poster up stating that they will throw away any wet and smelly kit including towels daily unless if is taken home....

Yep - you guessed it...option "c"!

[rant]

We have 150 people in my office and over a third of them cycle, walk, jog or play squash at lunchtime. Most of my team have complained to me about it, I am in the same situation as they are. I have now had to make a complaint based on the fact that our facilities people have not actually been effective in their role - they have simply pushed thier problem onto people who are not paid to deal with it. And there unwillingness to do anythig is now affecting employees in core business

I can see this one going completely sh1t side down.....I wish some peopl had more to do and would just f*ck off. I have enough to do!!

[/rant]

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    it won't help the situation at all but if you feel like being arsey about it get one of those extension cords with eleventy billion extra sockets and fill each one with a glade plug in and put it where the kit is kept. should mask the smell (and possibly cause everyones eyes/nasal passages to melt)
    Hat + Beard
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    hatbeard wrote:
    it won't help the situation at all but if you feel like being arsey about it get one of those extension cords with eleventy billion extra sockets and fill each one with a glade plug in and put it where the kit is kept. should mask the smell (and possibly cause everyones eyes/nasal passages to melt)

I'd rather smell the wet kit than Glade - which makes people's houses smell like a public convenience.

Nothing screams Daily Mail reader and Loose Women watcher than the glade plug in.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    W1 wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

I'd rather smell the wet kit than Glade - which makes people's houses smell like a public convenience.

Nothing screams Daily Mail reader and Loose Women watcher than the glade plug in.

Never watched Loose Women for more than 5 seconds, so wouldn't know, but otherwise, hell yes!

Admittedly for much fewer people, but in our office we have an IKEA wardrobe with a small bathroom extractor fan fitted to a hole in the top. So long as we don't ram it full, it dries kit out fairly well. You could even wire up the fan to just plug into a 13A socket if you want to go really DIY, but if you have up-tight facilities management people, they will probably have a cow about something as bodged as that.

Failing that, as it seems to be a la mode at the moment, make up some placards and march on the MD's office
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    Failing that, as it seems to be a la mode at the moment, make up some placards and march on the MD's office
    Light a fire! That'll dry the kit in no time

@gtv damn you and your earworm! :wink:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    hatbeard wrote:

I am liking this idea....however, I can see an epic battle between "lavender fields with horses ar$e" and "scent of hull" plugins....

:roll:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    We have no drying facilities in our new office so my kit goes on the back of a spare chair next to the radiator - frankly if people object then its up to management to provide better facilities
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Is being a total c*nt part of the job description for facilities managers? I've never met one that wasn't.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    W1 wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

that's almost the intention behind it. you get to passive-aggressively over-pander to the whingers by causing a much worse stink that not only highlights how petty they're being but also show them there's worse smells than damp kit.
    Hat + Beard
  • gtvlusso
    Is being a total c*nt part of the job description for facilities managers? I've never met one that wasn't.

+1

To be fair, if you had f*ck all today all day and a measured in pence salary...you would find petty things to complain about!
  • Is being a total c*nt part of the job description for facilities managers? I've never met one that wasn't.

Awwww, ours is a lovely chap who will do anything to get the job done properly.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gtvlusso wrote:

c, Put a poster up stating that they will throw away any wet and smelly kit including towels daily unless if is taken home....

Am I reading this wrong or are they expecting you to take home your smelly stuff at the end of the day? If that is right, then I can't really see the problem. If your stuff gets wet on the way into work or whilst at work (lunchtime) then its logical to assume it'll be in the building, but there really is no reason to leave it there over night.
  • gtvlusso
    re-cycles wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Am I reading this wrong or are they expecting you to take home your smelly stuff at the end of the day? If that is right, then I can't really see the problem. If your stuff gets wet on the way into work or whilst at work (lunchtime) then its logical to assume it'll be in the building, but there really is no reason to leave it there over night.

You will have to wear your wet kit home anyway - the point being there is now nowhere to put wet kit.....

Also, I change my towel weekly as I carry allot of stuff to and frow. As do most others.

Just makes thinsg a pain in the butt. They have also said that nothing wet or damp is to be left in lockers.....?!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    Just had a thought: fire escapes are supposed to be completely empty - anything left in them being a potential fire risk and the one place you don't want a fire risk is in a fire escape. I'd be surprised if a Fire Safety Officer would be happy for lockers to be located on a fire escape landing. So, could you not make an argument that lockers should be located somewhere else [insert suitable location where wet/smelly stuff will dry out/not be a nuisance].

Beat'em at their own game :twisted:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just had a thought: fire escapes are supposed to be completely empty - anything left in them being a potential fire risk and the one place you don't want a fire risk is in a fire escape. I'd be surprised if a Fire Safety Officer would be happy for lockers to be located on a fire escape landing. So, could you not make an argument that lockers should be located somewhere else [insert suitable location where wet/smelly stuff will dry out/not be a nuisance].

Beat'em at their own game :twisted:

Already done this one.....just loses use of lockers in reality....

I have so much more to do than deal with bull like this though >:-( grrrrr!