Friday Rant

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SecretSam wrote:
    So, the OP would get rid of the C2W scheme, which is, after all, a tax dodge?

C2W scheme is finished anyway at least for the public services

Eh? Certainly not finished here. Only just got my new commuter/winter bike of C2W.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    zanes wrote:
    I still stand by WGWarburtons comment.

I felt that WGW was suggesting that I was alluding to higher earners being anyone earing more than me. I am not, and just pointing out that. I am by no means a High Earner, but think everyone should pay appropriate tax. ...

Hang on.. you've lost me.... So, you're "by no means a high earner" but your definition of a high earner isn't "earns quite a bit more than me"...?

Hmm... is it the definition or the situation we're quibbling about? I'm pretty sure my definition of what a high income is has changed dramatically over the years and TBH one of the main things that's changed it is the realisation of how little of it you get in your pocket!
    Too many tax avoidance "scams" for my liking.

I'm not sure what you're including, here. I work as a freelancer and in the days before IR35 would pay myself a low salary and receive much of my income in dividends, to avoid paying income tax on it.
    The introduction of IR35 has largely stopped that practice. Some would argue that I should pay tax on my income as if I were a direct employee of the company I'm working at... but employees get paid holidays, sick leave, paternity leave and often training and benefits in kind... They also have employment protection so they can expect to be given notice before they are "let go".
    Should I therefore be paying tax at the same rate but charging more for my services?

Given that I have to work in the tax system we have... am I wrong to structure my finances to maximise my net income.. or is that a scam... What about if I spend most of the year abroad... would it be wrong to claim non-domiciled status to reduce my liability?

When is a scam a scam? What's wrong with tax avoidance?
    Anyway does no-one alse have any Friday Rants? Get your own rather than tear mine to shreds!!

Sorry..!

Cheers,
    W.
  • We should no longer think ourselves as a world policeman. We do not need Nukes/Aircraft carriers/Helicopter carriers. We used to have an empire, not now. I would rather have a higher standard of living than be able to project awesome power to some distant land. (We could and should contribute to a NATO/UN peacekeepping force - but that is a whole new debate)

+ 10.

We've got to get over the national ego issue. We don't need to be with the bully boys anymore. There's nothing much in it for an average citizen to be part of that. Only for politicians to have bigger influenceon the world stage....