Single speed gear ratio?

French Tony
French Tony Posts: 6
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi I'm not new to cycling, or indeed to mountainbiking, but have been riding the road for the last few years. I'm thinking about building a single speed mountainbike, and wondering what gear ratio is best to go for. I'm assuming a mid to low gear ratio is the norm, but hey what do I know! Can anyone help?

Comments

• 32:16 or a little more if you're rather fit. I'd start with 32:16 and then if you find it too easy move to 34 or 36:16.

Also get a good freewheel.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is a topic in the FAQs that might shed a bit more light on the subject.

But as above. 2:1 is a great starter. so 32/16 for a 26" bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the info. I can't help thinking that 32 is a bit small. Especially where I'll be riding (in the Lot department in France) there are great tracks, but often a bit of roadwork is needed to link them all up. So possibly a 34 or 36. What freewheel would you recommend?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Err I would seriously start at 32 if you have not tried it before.

Freewheel it all depends on your hub

micro drive? standard drive? cassette hub? or other.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • On my 29er I ride 34:20 which is roughly equivalent to 32:17 on a 26er.
  • OK thanks guys, I guess I'll go for a 32 after all, with a 16 or 17 out back, and see how it goes.