Jamis Bosanova

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Just spotted this on the evans site, bit of a bargain I reckon and good looking too. New perfect commuter? Discuss

jamis-bosanova-2011-touring-bike.jpg
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• It's a good looking machine!

*goes to Evans site...
  • prawny
    It's a good looking machine!

*goes to Evans site...

Pick me one up while you're there? I'll pay you back next time I see you, promise.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You'll need to budget changing the BB5s for BB7s, or for hair transplants.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • prawny
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    Asprilla wrote:

Pray tell, I know nothing these days about discs, my mtb has MX2s on :oops:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    prawny wrote:
    heh heh. Although in my defence my browser took an aaaage to submit the post. Stupid internets

BTW look at stats ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    prawny wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Pray tell, I know nothing these days about discs, my mtb has MX2s on :oops:

The BB5s are just no-where near as good and need constant adjustment where as the BB7s are more fit and forget with only minor adjustment as the pads wear.

Mine came with BB5s and I put up with them for a month before swapping for the 7s and selling the old ones on ebay.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • prawny
    JonGinge wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    I'm like the wind
    heh heh. Although in my defence my browser took an aaaage to submit the post. Stupid internets

BTW look at stats ;)

Shaddap!

I can swallow today, I reckon I'll be able to open my mouth by the weekend, so back on the bike monday, long route to work? In the snow. Hmmm.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    That's a smart looking bike and a good spec, but:
    1. The handlebars appear to be directed at Mars
    2. The mudguards are totally rank
    3. For me, the perfect townie would have hub gears and belt drive - and possibly flat bars

But I guess it's not that bad, mmmmquiteniceactuallymmmmmm

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    ...and it weighs HOW MUCH!?!?!?!?!!?

• prawny
    SecretSam wrote:

Yeah, that can't be right can it? Or is that for a size xxxxxl
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • SecretSam wrote:

But it claims to be a touring bike so it's bound to be heavy - an extra few pounds pales into insignificance once you've strapped on several tens of pounds of panniers and tents - but then they've fitted a carbon fork (no braze-ons for lowriders here) and it only has a 30t granny and a 26t on the back. Looks a bit like a bike that isn't quite sure what it wants to be...

_
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Underscore wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

But it claims to be a touring bike so it's bound to be heavy - an extra few pounds pales into insignificance once you've strapped on several tens of pounds of panniers and tents - but then they've fitted a carbon fork (no braze-ons for lowriders here) and it only has a 30t granny and a 26t on the back. Looks a bit like a bike that isn't quite sure what it wants to be...
    _

Looks like a good "light tourer" to me (light as in traveliing light, w/o tent + cooking gear).

In that context I guess the fork makes sense and the gearing seems more than adequate... I was wondering what the point of a 50x11 would be, TBH, rather than the 30x26!! I guess the discs add weight, the mudguards & pedals are included in that total and the frame is built for strength and ride quality, not for lightness...

Perfect commuter? Maybe not perfect, but a LOT closer than most!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Looks like a hybrid with a drop bar to me. Heavy, steel frame, MTB components...

If it had a flat bar on it you'd all hate it. :twisted:
    Rules are for fools.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Underscore wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

_

Looks like a good "light tourer" to me (light as in traveliing light, w/o tent + cooking gear).

In that context I guess the fork makes sense and the gearing seems more than adequate... I was wondering what the point of a 50x11 would be, TBH, rather than the 30x26!! I guess the discs add weight, the mudguards & pedals are included in that total and the frame is built for strength and ride quality, not for lightness...

Cheers,
    W.

+1 as a tourer / heavy commuter it looks fine i carry maybe 20llbs of stuff for commuting so a few extra pounds on a bike makes no odds to me.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • prawny
    Waddlie wrote:
    Looks like a hybrid with a drop bar to me. Heavy, steel frame, MTB components...

If it had a flat bar on it you'd all hate it. :twisted:

Sounds perfect to me, infact it's only flat bars that puts me off most hybrids. Even then i accept they have their place, just not for me.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I think I'd prefer the Tifosi CK7.

I may be slightly biased.
  • prawny
    I think I'd prefer the Tifosi CK7.

Disc brakes though, and a steel frame, not that the tifosi isn't lovely, just not quite right for a commuter imo.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • asprilla
    SecretSam wrote:

About 2lb lighter than my alfine then.......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • prawny wrote:

Disc brakes though, and a steel frame, not that the tifosi isn't lovely, just not quite right for a commuter imo.

Don't need disc brakes!

And the Janis has a carbon fork too, no?
  • Looks like a good "light tourer" to me (light as in traveliing light, w/o tent + cooking gear).

Cheers,
    W.

TBH, if I wanted a light tourer/commuter, I would be more inclined to go in the direction of a On-one Pompetamine:
    CBOOPOMPETVERSA_P1.jpg
    £800 for an Alfine-based build with either drop or flat bars (in fact the flat bar version is even cheaper)... and 5lb lighter than the Jamis (albeit a bit less after you've added a rack and gaurds...)... and comes with BB7s rather than BB5s...

_
  • secretsam
    Underscore wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

TBH, if I wanted a light tourer/commuter, I would be more inclined to go in the direction of a On-one Pompetamine:
    CBOOPOMPETVERSA_P1.jpg
    £800 for an Alfine-based build with either drop or flat bars (in fact the flat bar version is even cheaper)... and 5lb lighter than the Jamis (albeit a bit less after you've added a rack and gaurds...)... and comes with BB7s rather than BB5s...

_

Or that Genesis loon machine in orange that they just tested in C+ - either that or the on one seem near perfect to me [starts fondling wallet...]

• prawny
    prawny wrote:

Don't need disc brakes!

And the Janis has a carbon fork too, no?

I want discs for consistant performance but mainly for rim wear, i cant be bothered to bet new rims every year. Carbon fork desn't bother me really, probably woul prefer steel though.

I like the pompetamine and the day one, but i'm not sure about the gear spacing or getting the wheel out to fix flats. Might have to try one.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • wgwarburton
    Underscore wrote:
    CBOOPOMPETVERSA_P1.jpg

and pedals.. You can see why it's dangerous to quote weights in adverts!

That looks like a decent commuting bike, certainly. I'm not sure a hub gear would be my first choice for touring, though.

Cheers,
    W.
  • I'm not sure a hub gear would be my first choice for touring, though.

Well, Mark Beaumont seems happy enough with one!

_

P.S. Yes, I know that is a very different (and more expensive) hub gear...
  • wgwarburton
    Underscore wrote:
    I'm not sure a hub gear would be my first choice for touring, though.

Well, Mark Beaumont seems happy enough with one!

_

P.S. Yes, I know that is a very different (and more expensive) hub gear...

Yeah... I'd call that an expedition bike rather than a touring one, too! I was surprised by his lack of mechanical aptitude on the "biked the Americas" programme...he seemed to find a worn BB more of a mechanical challenge than I would have expected. Maybe the choice of hub gear reflects that..?

Cheers,
    W.