W1 wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Hey W1 - did you get a degree and who paid for that?

Yes.

Mix of me/parents/job.

So did you pay fees? How much?

Yes.

£3.5k from memory (it seems like a long time ago!) i.e. the present system.

So the govt paid about another £6k on top of that - just so were clear mix of you/parents/job and the government but mainly the givernment.

Well no. If you really want to be clear the fees (which was the question) were paid as above. The remaining costs (probably more than £6k a year, don't you think?) were paid by the state. Previously all the costs were. Soon less of the costs will be.

I can assure you I'm paying back my debt to society.

Do you have a degree Paulie W? Who paid for that?

The question in the first post was who paid for your degree not what were your fees - I was just clarifying that the government of the time paid for the majority of your degree. And actually no not more than £6k - that's aproximately the amount that the government provides for each student through the funding councils.

And?

Can you answer my question - "Do you have a degree Paulie W? Who paid for that?"

My point was that up until now everyone doing a first degree has been heavily subsidised to do that degree - you and your parents actually only paid a proportion of the total cost of the degree. We have been brought up in a society where the government heavily subsidising an individual's higher education is the norm. It is therefore inevitable that there is a backlash against the almost complete removal of this subsidy across the sector as a whole and the shifting of virtually all costs on to the student. When they removed maintenance grants there was a backlash and relatively speaking that was small beer. This is not about people wanting something for nothing it is about anger at such a substantial ideological shift.

I did my degree some time ago, long before tuition fees were brought in; and I received a full maintenance grant. The good old days! My masters and my PhD were funded by a research council which itself was/is funded through the government's science budget.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    W1 wrote:
    And then we're back into the impossible task of "valuing" a degree to society. That's probably not one for today! But as I said (here or elsewhere) the payment structure doesn't seem unfair to me, and we need to face facts - too many people go to uni, and it's too expensive for the state to continue to fund it as it is. I woudl prefer to go back 15 years, make it free, encourage those who will benefit to go (but have fewer graduates with more highly regarded degrees) and encourage those who won't benefit that they'd be better off doing something else (and remove the stigma from non-graduates).

Agree and agree! :)

I can't help feeling that it will take some time (and a fair bit of upset) to undo the "50%" expectation that has built up. Lots of kids watch Hollyoaks.
  • notsoblue
    Paulie W wrote:
    This is not about people wanting something for nothing it is about anger at such a substantial ideological shift.

+1
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    And then we're back into the impossible task of "valuing" a degree to society. That's probably not one for today! But as I said (here or elsewhere) the payment structure doesn't seem unfair to me, and we need to face facts - too many people go to uni, and it's too expensive for the state to continue to fund it as it is. I woudl prefer to go back 15 years, make it free, encourage those who will benefit to go (but have fewer graduates with more highly regarded degrees) and encourage those who won't benefit that they'd be better off doing something else (and remove the stigma from non-graduates).

Agree and agree! :)

I can't help feeling that it will take some time (and a fair bit of upset) to undo the "50%" expectation that has built up. Lots of kids watch Hollyoaks.

I'd argue that anyone who watches Hollyoaks shouldn't expect to go to university :twisted:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    Indeed, RJS!

I was wondering actually, does anyone agree with the "50% of school leavers to university" target? Also, was this entirely a New Labour initiative?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Indeed, RJS!

I was wondering actually, does anyone agree with the "50% of school leavers to university" target? Also, was this entirely a New Labour initiative?

Not me (and I work for a Uni now)

As soo many people have a degree now you need a masters to stand out when applying for jobs, particularly in my sector (Environmental Science Graduate). I couldn't afford to do a masters at the end of my degree (I worked through Uni to pay all my costs, no loans) so now work in admin for a Uni. My job spec does require a graduate though so I wouldn't have my 'admin' job without my degree.

One day I may go back and do my masters...