Bells, whistles and horns

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I've never been one for a bell as I've found the only opportunities I might use them I prefer to be hauling on the anchors. Also, I tend to ride at a good pace & think using them to make people move as rude in this situation (& generally ineffective.) So I think they're only good for pootling along to give people good advance warning.

Today as I passed behind a pedestrian who was crossing the road without paying any attention I said (politely) "watch out for cyclists" although I meant quiet vehicles in general. It seems that my bike was managing to be quiet for once and she hadn't realised I was there so she shrieked and ran a few steps. Although vaguely amusing this wasn't the intended affect so: -

- am I better off just getting a bell for this sort of limited scenario?
- should I just not bother try to hand out this sort of advice?

Any other advice?
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• I've kept a bell on my bike but - partly because it's nowhere near the brakes and partly because it's one of those dainty things that only gives a single ''ping'' - it's completely useless. Apart from when I find myself pootling along a mixed use path and even then you can never be sure whether they'll hear the pinging, move to the left, the right or freeze directly in front of you.

I think I find a slightly pointed ''Ahem!'' while feathering the brakes to be the best way of avoiding getting someone's iPlonk leads entangled in your front wheel...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Have a look at this recent thread.

Cheers,
    W.