Is the Vitamin a BSO?

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I've just been on the FCN calculator and its giving me an FCN of 7 for my Vitamin whereas on my roadie my FCN was 5!
Only a two point drop going from a proper aluminium road bike on 700c 23mm Conti Gator Skins, SPD-SLs, lycra etc bike I could ride all day to a £70 single speed, 26x1.75" B-Twin tyres, toe-clips (remember those), mud guards short journey only, commuter.

I've gone from being one of the fastest bikes on the city roads to one of the slowest but with only a 2 point FCN drop?! I think maybe there needs to be a revision here.
I'm not dissing the Vitamin. For what it is, I think its great VFM and I'm loving the Airzound & mudguards

Hopefully the new job I'm going for and the staff discount that comes with it will lead to some carbon bling for summer, but for now I'm FCN 7 and even that feels high!
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Stick some panniers on it, wear civvies, etc. Doesn't it almost qualify as an MTB with slicks?
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've just been on the FCN calculator and its giving me an FCN of 7 for my Vitamin whereas on my roadie my FCN was 5!
    Only a two point drop going from a proper aluminium road bike on 700c 23mm Conti Gator Skins, SPD-SLs, lycra etc bike I could ride all day to a £70 single speed, 26x1.75" B-Twin tyres, toe-clips (remember those), mud guards short journey only, commuter.

I've gone from being one of the fastest bikes on the city roads to one of the slowest but with only a 2 point FCN drop?! I think maybe there needs to be a revision here.
    I'm not dissing the Vitamin. For what it is, I think its great VFM and I'm loving the Airzound & mudguards

Hopefully the new job I'm going for and the staff discount that comes with it will lead to some carbon bling for summer, but for now I'm FCN 7 and even that feels high!

I know nothing about FCNs but how is the Vitamin as far as size is concerned? I think you said you were 6'2'' and the only Vitamins to be found were ''medium.'' I'm curious because I'm a long-bodied 6'1'' and they didn't look as though I'd fit on one.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I'm a long-legged 6'2" so I've got the seat post up to the limit and the handlebar stem up higher too.
    Its still a little too small, but it will get me through the winter (I hope).

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I know nothing about FCNs but how is the Vitamin as far as size is concerned? I think you said you were 6'2'' and the only Vitamins to be found were ''medium.'' I'm curious because I'm a long-bodied 6'1'' and they didn't look as though I'd fit on one.
    I'm a bit under 6', have a large Vitamin, and if anything it's a touch small for me. I am used to very stretched out racers though.

I only use mine for the bike path to uni really, so I'm not up against any real competition, meaning I'm still the fastest thing on the route. For a longer commute where the FCN would come into play, it should be higher than a 7.

FWIW, working it out starting from 'MTB with skinnies' and adding the modifiers for the way I use it, I get an FCN of 13, much more like it...
  • EKE_38BPM
    Its the gearing that does my head in. Its so low. On the flat I spin like a dervish, coast for a bit, spin again, coast, repeat ad infinitum...

So far I haven't had to stand to climb a hill. All downhills are coasted down.

As far as I can tell there is no way to increase the gearing either.

• I presume your all in lycra? i'm FCN 7 this week on my good (road) bike as it's only a few miles away so i just use normal clothes, though I need SPD shoes.

on the Vitamin i'd be FCN 13.

you should be able to swap the rear sprocket for something that gives a bit of a stiffer ride.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    BSO?
  • W1 wrote:
    BSO?

Bike Shaped Object
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    It's a bicycle. Will you grow up!
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    FCN ?

Found it, done it, I'm 7.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    ndru wrote:

Whats the FCN modifier for stabilisers?
  • EKE_38BPM
    ndru wrote:

I hope not!

• EKE_38BPM
    I presume your all in lycra? i'm FCN 7 this week on my good (road) bike as it's only a few miles away so i just use normal clothes, though I need SPD shoes.

on the Vitamin i'd be FCN 13.

you should be able to swap the rear sprocket for something that gives a bit of a stiffer ride.

I'm in tights or 3/4s and a L/S jersey under a soft shell, so not street clothes. Using a rucksack and wearing a lid and wrap-around safety glasses.