What 26" tyre for winter commute?

Jon8a
Jon8a Posts: 235
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
After commuting last year on slicks I thought something knobblier might be better this year.

I can switch to the mountain bike if it's really bad but want a narrow (<1.8 as it needs to fit under my mudguards) and cheap as possible.

Not too bothered how nobbly it is as I'll just count it towards extra endurance trainining.

Are there any good cheap narrow knobbly 26" tyres out there?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What do you anticiapte commuting through to need nobbly tyres, they will give no more grip on wet tarmac or ice, only if its snow or mud will you gain any grip.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Snow. Was fun last year on slicks. It persisted on parts of my route for 3 months last year.

Also I cross a park and have the option of taking an offroad gravel path rather than a main road. Again manageable on slicks (I do it occasionally on my road bike) in summer but interesting now it is wet and muddy in places.

They do not need to be out and out offroad tyres but my current slicks have virtually no tread pattern and don't inspire confidence.

Something like a cross tyre or rough touring tyre would be ideal but there are no cheap alternatives.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Asda do a tyre by Bell (as in the helmet people) that has tight square blocks for tread, bit like the SchwalbeCrazy Bob, that would probably be perfect for what you want and are only £10 ea (folding).

The Schwalbe CB http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/produkte ... rodukt=208 is used by the daughters BF for his 'freeride' bike on road and through muddy stuff and he reports good grip.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I'm also looking for a winter/snow/ice tyre for 26"
    The studded tyres run at about £40 each if you can find any available.
    Im going to try and make my own.
    A snow tyre needs widely spaced studs and, importantly, the base of the studs need to be well radiused. Snow, slush and mud cling to corners.

Continental Town and Country is a good one to use if you don't want knobblies. It has a bog inverted tread.

Ive just got a pair of cheap Duro knobbly tyres and a bunch of no.3 panhead self-tapping screws 1/2" long. There are plenty of instructions for DIY studded tyres. The plan is to cover the pan-head with a small plastic disc then a disc of inner tube (copydexed in place).