A Change Of Plan...

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
So then.

I've had the Fuji fixed. Well, alright, it was fixed already, I've had it repaired. It needed a new BB, the old one was knackered, had been incorrectly installed. And I've now ridden it for 2 more days, and decided that I simply don't like it.

So I'm going to sell it. Keep an eagle eye on the 'classified' section if you fancy it.

I'm also going to sell the Bowery, once I've had it sorted out, good clean, perhaps new chain, maybe a new BB if it needs it, although I'm hoping the earlier 2 points will sort it out. It is simply too big for me.

And I've just won an ebay auction for a mixte... :o

So the mixte might be a project, might be a daily rider. I'm not sure just yet. It's a raleigh, mid '70s, frame looks to be in good nick. God knows what it will ride like! And of course, I've got the good old dependable-but-not-too-valuable tifosi.

What I haven't decided yet is whether I want to buy another FG... one that actually fits me and is the right geometry...

Comments

• ride the fuji to the morpeth this friday :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ooh! All change. Exciting

The question is did you enjoy riding fixed? I know you did but was it enough to get another. Maybe the Fuji was a step down too far. James liked his Pearson but the Decade was a step up. Maybe ask Jim for a test ride of the Decade?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Good for you, the mixte steel will be just fine so long as the frame is straight, which if its not wont really be that bigA deal because its steel

mmm steel 8)

Well done, just think out the utter extra shame you will now be able to inflict, no longer will it be a case of "oh well she was on a track bike","so perhaps she rides track"

There's no doubt your life is over when scalped by a bird on a fixed mixte :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    So I'm going to sell it. Keep an eagle eye on the 'classified' section if you fancy it.

Are you normal sized or a small person?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oh cool! I like Mixte frames but you hardly see them anymore (here anyway - I saw lots in Barcelona last month).

Of course, you'll have to ride around wearing a gypsy skirt and a straw hat with your hair blowing in the wind and caught by the setting sun behind you etc etc.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rolf F wrote:
    Oh cool! I like Mixte frames but you hardly see them anymore (here anyway - I saw lots in Barcelona last month).

Of course, you'll have to ride around wearing a gypsy skirt and a straw hat with your hair blowing in the wind and caught by the setting sun behind you etc etc.

yup she does already, sandals too :shock:

even in winter
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    edited November 2010
    surprised I'm the first to do this joke but.... you could have a mixte fixte :)

crap puns apart, my mum has/had a raleigh 531 mixte frame bike for donkeys years and it's surprisingly good. she keeps getting other bikes and not liking them as much as the old one and whenever I've ridden it on occasion I've always understood why, it's a stealth flyer, comfy but not noodly frame because of the full brace

check the wheel size it may have 27in wheels
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • The Mixte Fixte is an interesting idea, not one I hadn't considered myself having looked at Lunar Cycles thanks to rjsterry (I think). Mixte = pretty. :D

Going to have a spin around on it for a while before making any decisions.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    The Mixte Fixte is an interesting idea, not one I hadn't considered myself having looked at Lunar Cycles thanks to rjsterry (I think). Mixte = pretty. :D

I had an old Raleigh Banana frame that would have been the perfect size for you......I think!
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    The Mixte Fixte is an interesting idea, not one I hadn't considered myself having looked at Lunar Cycles thanks to rjsterry (I think). Mixte = pretty. :D

I had an old Raleigh Banana frame that would have been the perfect size for you......I think!

Horizontal top tube + very short head tube = do not want...

:D
  • The Mixte Fixte is an interesting idea, not one I hadn't considered myself having looked at Lunar Cycles thanks to rjsterry (I think). Mixte = pretty. :D

And you know what would make it prettier (besides sparkly tassles on the bar ends)?

Podio pedals.

You know it makes sense.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:

Horizontal top tube + very short head tube = do not want...

:D

I have let you down :(
  • No, no, suggestions welcomed. I just know that (funny enough) I should be looking for a SS/FG shaped as much like the full custom made-to-measure bike that I have as possible.

Funny enough, that one fits me perfectly... :oops:
  • dhope wrote:

Are you normal sized or a small person?

I'm 5'7 and a half. I'll let you decide! :D
  • lost_in_thought
    edited November 2010
    Greg66 wrote:

And you know what would make it prettier (besides sparkly tassles on the bar ends)?

Podio pedals.

You know it makes sense.

I have an issue with your podio pedal assertions... you know how your main selling point for them is that they're the only clipless pedal you can do a full power stroke on without clipping in?

I give you:

shimano%20m324%2004.jpg
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    LiT, can you expand on what's wrong with the Fuji? Is it the fit or the way it rides? Both?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    Greg66 wrote:

Podio pedals.

You know it makes sense.

and a massive wicker basket on the front. with a scottie dog in it.
  • rolf_f
    I give you:

shimano%20m324%2004.jpg

Wow! Those look perfect for my Raleigh Record Ace :D

Name, rank and number please!
  • Shimano M324... I have a pair on the Fuji. They're not for sale! I like them.... :)
  • Hi,
    LiT, can you expand on what's wrong with the Fuji? Is it the fit or the way it rides? Both?

Cheers,
    W.

I think it's mostly the fit, for some reason I ignored everything that Epic told me when fitting me out for the Maxima, things like 'you need a sloping top tube' and 'you need a long head tube'.

It's quite a short frame, but I still feel rather stretched out and the position is pretty aggressive, which is great into wind, by the way, but not great for much else. I'm pretty darn flexible, but I'm just finding it all wrong.

It is, however, a nice, light solid frame, doesn't twist too much, and handles well. Quite twitchy steering, but you get used to it.

The trouble is, basically, that I'm the wrong size/shape for it.
  • Ooooh this is the same frame as I have:

katybeanlarson.jpg

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/katybeanlarson.html

But I don't like the colour scheme at all.

Also, the bars look weird, and why oh why would you choose to just flat colour all the pretty lugwork?!
  • jonginge
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    JonGinge wrote:

But not sure about the dropbar levers used on their side like that. Hmmmmmm :? Looks a lot like the Lunar Cycles mixtes (is that the right plural?).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    edited November 2010
    Also, the bars look weird, and why oh why would you choose to just flat colour all the pretty lugwork?!

In the old days, lined lugwork was not compulsory so that scheme is either a bit retro or just lazy!

These days, if you have lugs, you really need to line them in a brightly contrasting colour so people know you have lugs :lol:
    JonGinge wrote:

Needs gears. Not that it would have them on that forum but, well, it just looks wrong to be stripped of its gear options (poor thing!)
  • gtvlusso
    Hmmm...

I can see an influence here......

LiT:

esq-bike-ride-kelly-brook-1009-lg-68202521.jpg
  • lost_in_thought
    edited November 2010
    My favourite so far....

http://www.ahearnecycles.com/pages/maggiemixte.html

@Rolf I'm more just looking at the design and handlebars! The handlebars on the one I've bought are awful, just awful - they aren't original and look like BMX riser bars or something.

I have really liked having a basket on the fuji, I have to say, so it will definitely have a basket and a pannier rack.
  • gtvlusso

[engineer]

The chain is loose on that.....

[/engineer]
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    A good quality mixte is cool.

Sister Sprocket rides one as well, of course.
    Riding on 531
  • jonginge
    rjsterry wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

But not sure about the dropbar levers used on their side like that. Hmmmmmm :? Looks a lot like the Lunar Cycles mixtes (is that the right plural?).
    Sure, there are a few things I'd change but it's a good starting point
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides