7 or 8 speed commuter query

supergunn
supergunn Posts: 59
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Hi Guys,

I need your help.

I have a GT singlespeed which I use for commuting.
I am running a 38T up front with a 15T at the rear.

I have used this all summer and have loved it but winter is now here and my commute is getting very windy.
I set off in the morning against the wind and come home against the wind.
The wind must change direction mid day.

I thought about keeping the one chainring up front and reinstalling the rear mech and making the bike a 7 or 8 speed.

I already have a long cage deore rear mech.
and can pick up a 7or 8 speed rapidfire shifter and cassette very cheap on ebay.

I don't want to change the front 38T chainring because it's a middleburn ring and red in colour which goes nicely with the rest of the bike.

I'm confused about what ratios to buy for the rear cassette ie 11/32 12/28 is a Sora cassette compatible etc.

Revolution do a commuter bike like this with only eight gears.
The front ring is 44T and the rear cassette is 11/32.

Any help and advice will be most helpful

Regards
Supergunn

Comments

• I would use a road cassette, 12-25 which would give you a good spread. Long as the cassette is a shimano or sram it is compatible with a shimano rear derailer and a shimano shifter.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    supergunn wrote:
    ...I have a GT singlespeed which I use for commuting.
    I am running a 38T up front with a 15T at the rear.

I have used this all summer and have loved it but winter is now here and my commute is getting very windy...

Any help and advice will be most helpful...

I'd be tempted to replace the rear wheel with a 3-speed hub geared equivalent. Get a simple thumbshifter on the bars and you'll have most of the advantages of your existing setup (simplicity, reliability, longevity) with only a small increase in weight.

If you've been happy on a SS, the 3-speed should be fine, and ought to be relatively inexpensive compared to a fancy many-geared setup (either derailleur or hub).

Cheers,
    W.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On topic, what speed (width) freehub does the wheel have?

If its a 7, fit a seven (or 8 out of a 9 speed casette, but you need a 9 speed shifter and chain), if its an 8, you may as well fit an 8 speed cassette as its cheaper than a 7 plus spacer!

A Road cassette will be fine for you (although some MTB 7's are only 11-28 so not much wider anyway) and be a little lighter.

You MAY need a chain guide up front to stop the chain coming off (it does on my 1x9 commuter), an old front mech locked off on the H/L stops works fine.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • So much for singlespeed.