time to flip the hub or not?

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Never rode fixed until earlier this year and i love it and going to try get through as much of the winter as i can on it. Have old mtb for snowy conditions so its just the ice that worries me

Now it might sound like im know im going to fall off but it may not happen, but just thought if it was better to actually flip the back wheel and go singlespeed during the winter, will it make any difference going singlespeed or shall i just stay fixed and watch out for ice :)

sorry if seems daft question just curious

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    rode fixed through the snow last year, I think it added a level of control (ok sometimes I wasn't clipped in but that's where it was super skiddy)

doing the same this year
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    ah cheers,

I have the pedals with clip one side and flat the other so that would be fine.

can kind of see your point bout it adding more control

I think i may just suck it and see, although snow on mtb is great fun :)
  • Riding fixed and not clipped in in slippery conditions; I'm impressed.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I managed fine last winter. Back roads could be a bit sketchy on 23s but never failed to keep it upright. I can't imagine why switching to a freewheel would make things any safer.

I only unclipped if I was going very slowly and thought I might need to put a foot down. Find it pretty easy to ride like that on SPDs.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Riding fixed and not clipped in in slippery conditions; I'm impressed.

about 4 miles an hour through sludge while filtering... it aint no thing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    maybe i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that fixed was a good thing for snow and ice? breaking with your legs being sort of ABS-ey

I'm sure Sheldon said it so it must be true.

I can't go back to freewheeling now anyway as my freewheel exploded - while i wasn't using it.