Motorbikes NOT in ASLs

snooks
snooks Posts: 1,521
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
This could just be a local phenomenon, occurring just in East London but has anyone noticed recently that there doesn't seem to be a wall of motor bikes next to them in ASLs in the morning?

For the last two mornings, I've heard them, but they haven't been next to me, they have been waiting at the stop line, not cramming themselves into the ASL Box. It was a very strange feeling seeing them lined up behind me, not next to me.

Has there been summut in the press, motorbike or otherwise, about motorbikes in ASLs?
Or have I discovered a rare breed in East London?
FCN:5, 8 & 9
If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
THE Game
Watch out for HGVs

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    this week in SE london it would appear they've been replaced by Lorries. :roll:
    Hat + Beard
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    Perhaps my campaign of eye rolling and silent tutting is finally getting through to them then.
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • I don't suppose you ride The Eastway do you?

It used to be a lovely quiet back road to cut down to The City but the Olympic Park is so ginormous now it's a rat run for lorries. The only other way is lea Bridge Road (horrible) or the A11 Mile End Road (horrible).
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    there were something like 10-15 in the big asl on Jamacia way this moring

never seen quite as many in one go. On that junction it's fince as they take up the 2nd and 3rd lanes and don't really affect cyclists unless someones right filtered
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I don't suppose you ride The Eastway do you?

It used to be a lovely quiet back road to cut down to The City but the Olympic Park is so ginormous now it's a rat run for lorries. The only other way is lea Bridge Road (horrible) or the A11 Mile End Road (horrible).

I come in from Stratford, so It's the Mile End Road all the way to Aldgate, then a shimmy down to Tower hill and along upper/lower Thames Street to Southwark bridge, and I'm more or less at work.

I don't find the MER too bad to be honest, as a lot of it is stationary traffic, and what isn't traffic is a big bus lane.
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    dvdfoz wrote:
    Perhaps my campaign of eye rolling and silent tutting is finally getting through to them then.

Best Post Ever
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • get this...

there was none at parliament sq bridge turning right off embankment to the sq itself...

NONE I tells ya!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • "Parliament Square Bridge" is more conventionally known as Westminster Bridge.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Not noticed myself, but lots of pedestrians looking the wrong way while crossing roads.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Is it considered good sport to park in front of one then pretend not to notice the light going green?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg T wrote:
    dvdfoz wrote:

Best Post Ever

Forget that post i'm beginning to look like your avatar :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    my plod mate who's in the bicyle task force or whatever they a re called says that apparently they are awaiting some new ruling which means they will be able to enfore the ASL's.

Not sure why they can't do it anyway, i'm just repeating what he said.
    FCN = 4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New ruling my 4r5e, they can be enforced now if there is a will to!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • New ruling my 4r5e, they can be enforced now if there is a will to!

Simon

But just like the penalties for using mobile phones while driving, they'll get bored with it in a couple of months and not bother prosecuting offenders.
  • Millbank coming in this morning. Motorbike rolls straight in via the GREEN cycle side bit and stops in front of a marked police car slap bang in the middle of the ASL.

Nothing happened. :(
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    There seemed to be the usual mass of vans, taxis and motorbikes/mopeds in the ASLs on my route this morning.

As for the non-enforcement, I was told in an official letter from the City Police that essentially they did not feel that it was "fair" that motorists should have to pay £60 fines and get points on their licenses for sitting in an ASL whereas cyclists "only" have to pay £30 for RLJ-ing. So it seems they focus their attention on cyclists....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    There seemed to be the usual mass of vans, taxis and motorbikes/mopeds in the ASLs on my route this morning.

As for the non-enforcement, I was told in an official letter from the City Police that essentially they did not feel that it was "fair" that motorists should have to pay £60 fines and get points on their licenses for sitting in an ASL whereas cyclists "only" have to pay £30 for RLJ-ing. So it seems they focus their attention on cyclists....

Seriously? Surely the "fairness" is set by the amount of the fine? The City Police are clearly just using their own bias to manipulate enforcement. I'm surprised they admitted that in an official letter.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858

Scan it & post it up?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    jds_1981 wrote:

Scan it & post it up?

I've posted it up on this site loads of times onto various threads and have sent it to my MP and to London Assembly members.... I'll try to dig it out for another airing...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.