Any body used these guys??

Sodfoster
Sodfoster Posts: 412
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Trading 4 U

Just curious to see if anyone has used these guys to sell their bike?

Web page: http://www.trading4u.com/sell-bike.htm
Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    No, and I think you'd be mental to do so.

They're just eBay resellers. The page you linked reads (rather poorly) like you fill in the details, they pick up your bike and 5 days later you get a cheque for it - a bit like webuyanycar but check out the FAQ's

By the sounds of it, you fill in all the details they collect it, bang it on eBay using the details you've given them and then charge you 35% of the sale price.

I suspect the scam is they offer you a silly high amount, stick it on eBay and when it inevitably sells for a lot less they claim you must have lied about the condition / spec.

I would guess these times of places are the reason for so many appalling eBay ads you see for bikes.
  • Seems a bit pointless paying to use them when you could just sell your bike through here or Ebay!
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Unless we're all missing something here, I can't see any reason why you'd use trading4u to sell a bike.
  • Im not going to use them!!

I presumed it was a con! I was just curious to see if anyone had experience with them. I was actually expecting some juicy horror stories!
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• It's interesting that they claim to have a mention in What Mountain Bike and Cycling Plus.

TBH I reckon it's probably legit i just can't really see why you would want to lose such a massive percentage of what your trying to sell. You'd have to be quite lazy not just t put it on there yourself.
  • I've filled in their form and given them my spam email, interesting to see what THEY THINK my bike is worth
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    LjStronge wrote:
    I've filled in their form and given them my spam email, interesting to see what THEY THINK my bike is worth

Great idea! Keep us informed of the outcome! :)
    Craig Rogers
  • I filled out the form too.

I have a 2010 Cube Acid with was £700 (new). I have spent an additional £300+ on upgrades including tyres,new bar and stem etc...

They offered me £300!!

Now Im actually trying to sell mine, but that is a bloody joke!

Why would anyone use these guys??
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Nope! But a maybe a good way for people to sell off stolen bikes!??? :cry:
    Craig Rogers
  • Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    I'm surprised websites like eBay still haven't made it a prerequisite to enter frame number so people can check if its stolen...
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Phinx wrote:
    I'm surprised websites like eBay still haven't made it a prerequisite to enter frame number so people can check if its stolen...

Why? Half the non bike stuff on there could be stolen as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • £225 fo mine

That's 50 quid LESS than I paid for the wheels ALONE!

I only brought them 4 months ago too, lol

What a bunch of jokers
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'll up the offer to £225 and TWO packets of Haribo. It's your lucky day.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Andrew N
    Andrew N Posts: 119
    Phinx wrote:

@Phinx...I completely agree with you on the frame numbers.

We encourage everyone who lists to insert frame numbers (so people can check the registers).

However, when we said we would make this a prerequisite people kept saying that their bike did not have frame number (old or just didn't!) and that it would be annoying to require frame numbers in every instance.

Interested in your/other thoughts?

ps. probably should say (it should appear in signature) that when i say we I mean Going Going BIke!
    www.goinggoingbike.com
    Awesome thread revival and spam.
    Well done, 2 for 1.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    Why? Half the non bike stuff on there could be stolen as well.
    Stolen or fake.

Never buy high value stuff on ebay, or at least view it with extreme suspicion. Most of the time I've found there's something dubious about it. Gadgets, mobiles, video games especially. More so if it comes from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Essex :P, etc.

Caught me out with some Gameboy stuff years ago. Though the stuff worked, but the give away was when the carts had Nontendo marked on them.