Expensive wheels!

paulus69
paulus69 Posts: 160
edited December 2010 in The workshop
Mike bike only cost me £200 and am looking at getting some new wheels as I am considering Hydro brakes, why are wheels so outragously expensive. Am i missing something?

I can understand £30 - £40 a wheel, not £60+
Me on Strava
My cycling blog
Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec

Comments

• What bike do you have?
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • paulus69
    Its a carrera vulcan, its a really nice bike (for what I want), although have seen the light of hydro brakes. Clarks do a kit which has resonable reviews on CRC for aroun £35.
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why do you need new wheels for Hydraulic brakes, or do you mean you've currently got V-brakes and want to convert to discs?

Wheels cost, you can get new disc wheels (cheap nasty and heavyish) from about £30 (front) and £40 (rear) or better ones, the Carrera DDW are reasonably light and sturdy, you may be able to get them at a sensible price, that or go used off ebay or classifieds, you want quality, it costs!

CRC have clarkes Hydraulics for £40, but Avid Juicy 3's (front) for £30.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paulus69
    Thanks for the pointers, the reason for the new wheels is that my current wheels do not have the fitting for the brake rotor.

My other option I suppose is to buy replacment hubs, although I would have to get LBS to do this work!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
  • paulus69
    thanks thats wheelie helpful
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    paulus69 wrote:
    I can understand £30 - £40 a wheel, not £60+

Mate, £600+ is expensive, £60 is cheep like a budgie!!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols