Asian Games: Controversy

ParkJiSung
ParkJiSung Posts: 4
edited November 2010 in Pro race
Korean rider Park Sung-Baek finished first but lost the gold medal because of crooked Japanese and Chinese officials. Chinese-Hong Kong rider Wong benefited from the decision and got his gold, the Japanese rider who finished third got bumped up to second and the Chinese rider who finished fourth got a bronze medal as the result. It's a conspiracy.

Starting at 0:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3NB1I6RMdI

There's no way that was "irregular sprint", Park (the rider in white) did swerve a little bit but nobody rides in a perfect straight line when sprinting to the finish line, he didn't swerve enough to interfere with the Hong Kong rider anyway (the rider in red). This is ridiculous. I agree with Park's coach, I've seen riders swerve way more than that in other international competitions and they're never penalized.

I hope they appeal to the Union Cycliste Internationale. This makes me sick to my stomach.

Comments

• Another link. News on Chinese Communist state-run news channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzW_TcdLX6Y
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Dunno, to me it looked like he swerved a long way from his line. 4 or 5 metres. I agree riders don't sprint in dead straight lines, but that was a huge deviation, and in my non-professional opinion, it did interfere with the Hong Kong rider.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Interesting. It is clear he swerves off his line sharply and impeeds the rider behind. This is also shown by the photo below. I think it is a fair relegation although it would make sense if he got shifted one place back as it looks like only one rider was affected. To be honest, I think it should only lead to a relegation if it was dangerous and/or purposeful.

Getty
    78309269f5125dc8de85ec9fe4c26817-getty-asiad-2010-cycling.jpg
    dc3b7105a3cbce13cd66b408c2ec1f9e-getty-asiad-2010-cycling.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Definite relegation - moving slowly is one thing, veering wildly like that is quite another.
  • I think maybe this was posted by someone who's just a little bit biased; and has never had the crap scared out of him by being switched in a sprint.
  • The wind was strong.

I agree with what Park's coach had said after the ruling.

But Cho hit back, saying the majority of the race officials were from Hong Kong or China.
    "Even if Wong were not from Hong Kong, let's say if he was Japanese, the final decision would still go against Korean riders as the chief judge is Japanese," raged Cho.

"And why should a sprinter keep going straight in the final moment anyway? The wind was quite strong and changing direction.

"They gave the medal to Wong because he's from Hong Kong."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    The wind was strong? It would have had to be a hurricane to cause that much movement. It was about as blatant a switch as I've ever seen and causes real problems for the Chinese rider on his left shoulder. I think you need to watch again with both eyes open!
  • ParkJiSung wrote:
    I agree with Park's coach, I've seen riders swerve way more than that in other international competitions and they're never penalized.

When exactly have you seen a rider swerve more than that and not get penalized?

For an easy example Mark Cavendish barely moved in the Tour de France 2009 Stage 14 (?) and got relegated in the sprint