Terry Dolan cycles...bad Customer Service...

yenrod
yenrod Posts: 135
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
I bought a Stem from this shop online as its easier for me as I'm in work in the week & weekends I try & ride...

Soo..on the website I went & found the size stem as they are VERY specific...!

I got stem & was well pleased as I was off the road effectively,

It turned out shorter than I'd ordered which I was a bit brassed off about.

So, next day rang them up and told them I wasn't happy - the man in the shop listened I said lastly..surely it can't that difficult to sort the order as I'd searched for ages to get that stem...

Then man who answered said "you should be thankfull for what you got" and slammed the phone down upon a bit of reserching about TD it actually turned out to be MR DOLAN himself I spoke to who has a 'bit of an attitude'.

Doncha just luv the cycling industry in this country - eh ? ;)

: I'll never ever buy a bike or anything from TD
[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He made me a lovely frame once. It took weeks longer than expected but it was nice.
  • So someone makes what is probably an honest mistake by picking the wrong stem and you ring up complaining that you're not happy?

Is that the worst thing going on in your life at the moment?

If someone rang me up and had a go at me for something similar,and spoke to me in the manner it appears you did, (and if I was the boss) I'd tell you where to shove your short stem.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Hope you don't work in the service industry Dave

At the end of the day, we don't know the full story, but by the sounds of, TD behaved like a bit of an a*** towards the end customer, which is just poor form full stop
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Hope you don't work in the service industry Dave

At the end of the day, we don't know the full story, but by the sounds of, TD behaved like a bit of an a*** towards the end customer, which is just poor form full stop

I dont think he did.

Without knowing the full story/conversation/TDs side of the story we will never be able to pass judgement I guess.

If a genuine mistake is made and some snotty git says ".surely it can't that difficult to sort the order" I wouldnt let it go either. Poor lamb............ :(
    :(:(:(
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    The op was sent the wrong product and then told "you should be thankful for what you got" I would say that's not a great thing to say to a customer who's order you messed up. When I make a mistake at work I apologize and take the flak.

To be fair to the OP getting an order right isn't that difficult, and if TD finds that it is, perhaps he shouldn't be in the mail order business.

Put it another way, if you mess up at your job, what do you expect? Personally, whilst I wouldn't expect to be given a sarky little "how difficult" comment, but if I was, I would just man up!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    end of the day "the customers always right" policy.....and we all wonder why businesses go under ...due to bad customer service ... OP wont be going back now will he ?!
  • I used to work in customer services and if someone had said
    surely it can't that difficult to sort the order
    to me, just because I'd made an honest mistake, I wouldn't have been very helpful from that point on.

Terry Dolan has a long and prestigious history in cycling. Rightly or wrongly, he's obviously decided he doesn't need to take sh1t from arsey customers.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    WHS^^^
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Sorry - but I don't care if Terry Dolan invented the bicycle itself. The customer WAS right and it shouldn't be hard to get a simple order correct. He has every right to be snotty and TD has NO right to react that way.

He is in the sales/service industry - not the 'I'll ship you whatever I feel like" industry "and be happy with whatever you get".

If he said that to me I would be ringing back to tell him to go f^ck himself. Or making my way to the shop to tell him face to face.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Pokerface wrote:
    Sorry - but I don't care if Terry Dolan invented the bicycle itself. The customer WAS right and it shouldn't be hard to get a simple order correct. He has every right to be snotty and TD has NO right to react that way.

He is in the sales/service industry - not the 'I'll ship you whatever I feel like" industry "and be happy with whatever you get".

If he said that to me I would be ringing back to tell him to go f^ck himself. Or making my way to the shop to tell him face to face.

+10
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Sounds to me like the OP got sarcastic straight away rather than just letting TD apologise and send the correct stem. Mistakes happen. Why not just call and say "you sent me the wrong size stem, could you send me the correct length one and something to return the original in"? With all these complaints we get just one side of the story (remember Speed King anyone, as if I need to ask!)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    yenrod wrote:
    I bought a Stem from this shop online as its easier for me as I'm in work in the week & weekends I try & ride...

Soo..on the website I went & found the size stem as they are VERY specific...!

I got stem & was well pleased as I was off the road effectively,

It turned out shorter than I'd ordered which I was a bit brassed off about.

So, next day rang them up and told them I wasn't happy - the man in the shop listened I said lastly..surely it can't that difficult to sort the order as I'd searched for ages to get that stem...

Then man who answered said "you should be thankfull for what you got" and slammed the phone down upon a bit of reserching about TD it actually turned out to be MR DOLAN himself I spoke to who has a 'bit of an attitude'.

Doncha just luv the cycling industry in this country - eh ? ;)

: I'll never ever buy a bike or anything from TD

sarky bit hilited
    as mentioned a simple it was wrong can you swap would have sufficed.
    Next time order it from your local shop if you havent been banned from there for taking 6 hours to work out if you need 100mm or 120mm .
    <sarky mode off>
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Pross wrote:
    Sounds to me like the OP got sarcastic straight away rather than just letting TD apologise and send the correct stem. Mistakes happen. Why not just call and say "you sent me the wrong size stem, could you send me the correct length one and something to return the original in"? With all these complaints we get just one side of the story (remember Speed King anyone, as if I need to ask!)

+1
    If the OP was rude straight off the bat, then the response was deserved, but we will never know. The customer is always right? No. No they're not.
  • If the OP had delivered a load of abuse then TD's response would have been fair enough but sounds like it was just an expression of his frustration at having to spend his spare time sorting out someone else's c0ck up...in which case Mr Dolan should just suck it up and grit his teeth imo. It's no good being all cheery and sweet giving the impression being dicked around is perfectly fine, it's not as if its particularly complex..you are only paying them to throw the right item in a parcel after all.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Pokerface wrote:

Exactly. I couldn't care less if Terry Dolan considers himself the King of Cycling, if yuo're providing a service to a customer you don't do things like that. Having said that I have no idea what exactly was said and how events unfolded so I reserve judgement....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.