Play in rear cassette.

raz208
raz208 Posts: 18
edited November 2010 in The workshop
On my last few journeys i have been having trouble with my gear changing not engaging properly and ghosting, on inspection at the weekend i discovered the rear cassette has an awful lot of play when wobbled with my hand. My bike is a Merida crossway which i purchased on bike to work scheme from my local bike shop, the bike is only 5 months old and only use it for my daily commute, 5 days a week roughly 60 miles per week. My question is should this be covered on a guarantee or will it be classed as wear and tear even though i haven't covered a great deal of miles on it yet.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Take the wheel out, then the skewer to see if the lock-ring (on the drive side) has worked its way loose. If it's not, undo the lock-ring and try to take the cassette off. If you can't try each sprocket of set of sprockets off one by one - the grooves which keep the sprockets in place may be worn.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wobble of the 'cassette' is more normally wobble in the supporting freehub, if the lockring is tight, then it's very unusual for the cassette to wobble on the freehub even if the freehub outer surface has been worn.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    tighten lock ring if not insert a 10mm allen key into the the cassette and tighten there as well