some usless fuc**er scratched my new car and drove away

bexley5200
bexley5200 Posts: 692
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
just got my new car 2 months ago after a week it was in a minor accedent just come out of the body shop my wife parked it and someone cought the side and scratched it and drove away £120 to repair
going downhill slowly

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    I had the same happen - brand new Mini a couple of years back, first day in the car park and someone had opened a door on it (despite the car park being half full and me trying to park in the least attractive space). Only a tiny dent but it just ruins the lines of the car. More recently someone has somehow dented the boot on just below the rear window, I still can't work out how anything could have hit that part. I'm sure some people just get jealous of a new car and do it deliberately even though mine is just a company car and I'd never be able to buy one brand new myself.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Same thing happened to my last car, a Renault Scenic.

Parked it on its own in a car park the day after I bought it. Came back, it was still on its own but had a dent in the passenger door.

I've had another brand new car for a month now (750 miles) and it's a little larger. Since it's a squeeze to park in any space I get quite worried returning to it after a shopping trip.

Even though I have off street parking, after 4 years, the Scenic was a mess. That's Londoners for you. I have never bashed my own or any other car, yet it looked like it had rolled through a field. I guess nobody cares about the damage they do.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Mine was bumped in the car park at work: reversed into so damaged the rear bumper and pushed the car into the hawthorne bushes scrathing the nose cone.

"Doesn't your car have reversing sensors?"

"Yes it does."

"Weren't they bleeping?"

"Yes, but I never pay any attention to them."

Hanging's too good.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I don't have a particulary expensive car but it is dent free and I'd like to keep it that way, I try and avoid parking next to cars that look like they belong to families as I've witnessed on more than one occasion kids getting into the back of cars whilst knocking the door against the car next to it and the parents hadn't even noticed.
  • My wife's Clio (that's Clio!!!) was parked outside our old house, 4 days old. First ever NEW car she had got. She went out on the Sunday morning to find the front wing, driver's door and rear panel stoved in. Sh1t bags car 2 door away parked in front of it with silver paint all over the rear nearside bumper. Went and virtually kicked his front door in until he answered and dragged him out of the house to read him the riot act. He said a mate had driven it and parked it and he wasn't aware of the damage. Needless to say he wouldn't bubble his mate up, I suspect he'd been drinking and didn't want to be done, so got his insurance details and claimed.I'm guessing he told his insurance company he was driving, rather than his mate. Really took away from the pleasure of having a new car, even when it came back like new.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Got my alfa 9 years ago when it was less than a year old. It's got more than a few scratches which have occurred while I haven't been in it let alone moving. I was abroad when someone drove all the way down the passenger side which was repaired but there have been many little bumps including the last 3 which were rear enders while I have been sitting in traffic. 46000 miles genuine, looks like Armstrong drove it on the moon.

Neil not Lance before anyone asks. :P
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Same here as well 7 month old insignia, some one has scratched all down of the rear passenger wheel arch. metallic paint as well. gutted! :(
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    People are careless muppets.

I remember being in my car in the supermarket carpark looking after a sleeping baby,
    There was torrential rain and people were running to their cars and then just leaving their trolleys to their own devices - at least 2 runaway trolleys hit the car from opposite angles.

Theres a guy on here who advises dropping a new bike on the first day. At least then you're released from worrying about keeping it immaculate. I can see his point.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I had a Astra few years ago parked outside my house on the road.

Came down one morning to find someone had broken in by bending the door open and apart from that the only other damage was the steering wheel was missing. They left the stereo, the stuff in the glove box, just took the steering wheel.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    My last car was absolutely battered with minor scratches and bumps on all four corners and not one of them was done by me.

One of my particular favourites was the two foot long one placed lovingly by the mrs parallel parking behind me.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    People don't give a f*ck these days for others property.

Sole reason I won't spend a great deal on a car anymore. Tomany bangs and scrapes in car parks.

I will say though most parking spaces border on the ridiculous in size.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Gazzaputt wrote:

So true. Ive got an old 1995 Honda Accord estate, and it overhangs vitrually every parking space I can find. My designated space at home can barely accomodate a focus, let alone something bigger.

God forbid I actually buy a newer estate (the probability being that it is even bigger again seeing as cars seem to get bigger every year.)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    A normal parking space in a car park is 2.4m wide and the average car is about 1.8m wide so there should be plenty of space for people to get in and out with no problems. However, as someone has already said, kids will often just throw their door wide open (I've lectured mine not to do this!) and also the ever increasing obese people are incapable of getting in and out in these sensible spaces (spaces in the US are much wider presumably due to bigger cars but I'm sure the obesity issue is also a reason). I did a job for a well known supermarket in a South Coast town a few years back. Normally they are keen to use as little space as possible for anything other than selling things but due to the older-than-average population in the area they wisely made their parking spaces 100mm wider than normal as they tend to have a lot of bumps getting in and out of the standard spaces.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Sounds like the car is cursed :twisted:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    People don't give a f*ck these days for others property.

Sole reason I won't spend a great deal on a car anymore. Tomany bangs and scrapes in car parks.

yup.... have recently joined the dark side again and purchased a runner for £600... I havent been bothered to count its scratch dent history, so I cant be annoyed if and when a new one appears.
    It is ok to park next to me tho' , as I am careful opening the doors ( they may well fall off)
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I gave up worrying about the appearance of my new car when someone rear-ended me and the repair for the bumper (admittedly including hire car from shyster 'accident management' company) came to almost £1,000.

So a couple of weeks later, when someone hit it again, I looked at the resulting hole and thought 'I don't care who's money it is, it's not worth a grand to put that right'. Life's too short to worry about dings in paintwork!

PS - before I get submerged under a pile of abuse, I don't go around inflicting careless damage on other people's cars. It's only my own dings I don't worry about (if you see what I mean)!
  • Folks,

I've got a 911 and I can tell you there are more jealous and careless folks out there than I can count. Had the badges stolen (three times), had the tyres done twice, the wipers broken, the soft top slashed and more scratches and dents than I would have thought possible. feckers the lot of them.
  • feltkuota wrote:
    Folks,

I've got a 911 and I can tell you there are more jealous and careless folks out there than I can count. Had the badges stolen (three times), had the tyres done twice, the wipers broken, the soft top slashed and more scratches and dents than I would have thought possible. feckers the lot of them.

I used to work for an Alfa Dealer and behind spark plugs our second biggest selling item was boot badges.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    feltkuota wrote:
    Folks,

Don't look now, someone's parked a jeep on it... :wink:

boxster_20100330_1.jpg
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    feltkuota wrote:
    Folks,

I do not condone such actions but after all that would i keep it?

You should be free to own what ever without some envious bastard wanting to cause it damage but that isn't the society we live in.

A 911 is a prime target.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    If you have a 911 you shouldn't have to park it anywhere near pikies ;)
  • I picked up my spanking A4 not long ago. Not long after, leaned my bike against it, nudged it, and scraped it with the shifters.

Bike came off fine.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    If you want to guarantee getting a parking ding in your pride and joy, leave it in Barnsley Market Place multi-storey on a Tuesday. It's utter cu!\!t soup...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Mine was bumped in the car park at work: reversed into so damaged the rear bumper and pushed the car into the hawthorne bushes scrathing the nose cone.

"Doesn't your car have reversing sensors?"

"Yes it does."

"Weren't they bleeping?"

"Yes, but I never pay any attention to them."

Hanging's too good.

so they stopped using their factory optical sensors and then when their car manufacturer put some on their car, they disabled the factory installed auditory sensors too. Useless, how do some people find their way out of the house?
    FCN 12
  • I picked up my spanking A4 not long ago. Not long after, leaned my bike against it, nudged it, and scraped it with the shifters.

Bike came off fine.

That's OK then. :wink:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Agree with the car thing. But also some people have no care for other's bikes! Sometimes at the cafe stop :evil:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    So a couple of weeks later, when someone hit it again, I looked at the resulting hole and thought 'I don't care who's money it is, it's not worth a grand to put that right'.

I did my BMW's front bumper on black ice last week, got a used one the right colour for fifty quid luckily. The reason everyone's insurance is expensive is because even a 10 year old car has to be fixed with brand new parts.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    unixnerd wrote:
    So a couple of weeks later, when someone hit it again, I looked at the resulting hole and thought 'I don't care who's money it is, it's not worth a grand to put that right'.

I did my BMW's front bumper on black ice last week, got a used one the right colour for fifty quid luckily. The reason everyone's insurance is expensive is because even a 10 year old car has to be fixed with brand new parts.

My car (the same one with dents and scratches at each corner) got rear ended 18 months ago. It had a Witter tow bar which made a complete mess of the van that hit me but my car was largely undamaged from a cosmetic view apart form a messed up boot handle.

I get an appointment to have the car picked up in a couple of weeks time as it is still driveable. With it being 8 years old and feeling it, during teh 2 weeks I look around at new motors and enquire about taking the repair money rather than having it repaired.

The adjuster was more than happy with this as they only offer 90% of the repair cost. I am happy because the cash holds more value than the repair will add to the car. (I had a very good trade in deal available to me).

When I talk through the quote with the adjuster, the quote includes a £500 Seat towbar with twin electrics rather than my Witter with single electrics at about £200.

It’s not just new for old, it’s make it up as you go along.