20 Years AGo Today -The World Changed - no JFK wasn't shot

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Can't believe that no one on here has mentioned this event that changed Britain and British life forever.

GoOd or bad?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    God is a few steps too far surely?! :P I was thinking more along the polar opposite 666 devil in disguise...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yes,

Chapeau to Prof Sawyer

22/11/1990 - Prof Amos Sawyer installed as interim president of Liberia

That's right isn't it?!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Bye-bye Thatcher?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Good? Bad? Or just a product of her time.

These things are always difficult.

Too easy to take the simplistic Ben Elton type rant position and vilify.

Was Elizabeth 1st good or bad? Oliver Cromwell? If you can find a black and white answer for any of these then you're a better man than I Gunga Din.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I was too young to appreciate the day, but I remember most of the adults I knew being very very happy at the time. She wasn't very popular at the end was she?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    notsoblue wrote:
    I was too young to appreciate the day, but I remember most of the adults I knew being very very happy at the time. She wasn't very popular at the end was she?

"The end" being the North end of the country?

Cheers,
    W.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:

Ha!

Very good.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Perhaps. I don't really have a strong opinion on her though I know many do. I have to admit that all I know about her time in office comes from 80's comedy shows :oops:. Oh, and the "No such thing as society" thing that has been heavily misquoted and misappropriated. I actually kinda agree in a certain way with the full speech.

Am I being revisionist?
  • PresumingEd
    PresumingEd Posts: 82
    edited November 2010
    Thatcher was an enduring nightmare. The day she was turfed by by her own nasty little tory friends I almost wept with joy

At the moment there is lots of revisionism going on but in 50 years it will be clear that the changes she forced through (on the basis of less than 1in 3 of the electorate voting for her party) were and continue to be devastating for Britain.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Couldn't stand the woman - would be happy to dance on her grave - especially over her 'Rejoice' speech when the Belgrano was sunk
  • Me and the girlfriend went to a trendy wine bar and celebrated that day! TBH she was more excited than I was.

Oh - and I doubt anyone thought that JFK was shot in 1990 - you do have a very low opinion of others don;t you? shall I call you God or Almighty Lord in future?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Stephen Hendry won the World Snooker Championship - the youngest winner aged 21. He has gone on to win it 7 times.

Martina Navratilova won her 9th and final ladies singles Wimbledon Championship title.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    Spen666 - Thatcher was a witch. I hope you are not making light of the wasteland she and her cronies had turned the UK into? The damage started 11 years previously in 1979.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • Stoo48
    Stoo48 Posts: 54
    In your humble opinion dilemna
  • dilemna wrote:
    Spen666 - Thatcher was a witch. I hope you are not making light of the wasteland she and her cronies had turned the UK into? The damage started 11 years previously in 1979.

Did I miss the bit where the country was doing really, really well just prior to 1979?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,174
    I have memories of the late 70's that include power cuts, general strikes, rubbish piling up in the streets, inflation reaching 25% and the UK going cap in hand to the IMF for a bail out. Clearly some people have 'forgotten' the uttely abysmal legacy of the labour government before last.

Here we go again....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Although closing down the mines and privatising the rail network were pretty short sighted things to do.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Does any one remember getting a bit extra in the pay packet because inflation was so high?, different amount each month.
  • dilemna
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I have memories of the late 70's that include power cuts, general strikes, rubbish piling up in the streets, inflation reaching 25% and the UK going cap in hand to the IMF for a bail out. Clearly some people have 'forgotten' the uttely abysmal legacy of the labour government before last.

Here we go again....

Indeed, Liebour and Ted Heath were a shower, but Thatcher went far too far laying waste to the UK's industrial heartlands.

3.5 million unemployed, ......... the Poll Tax.
  • gtvlusso
    dilemna wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here we go again....

Indeed, Liebour and Ted Heath were a shower, but Thatcher went far too far laying waste to the UK's industrial heartlands.

3.5 million unemployed, ......... the Poll Tax.

In your humble opinion.....

*Note: I think you are spot on!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    Although closing down the mines and privatising the rail network were pretty short sighted things to do.

There was an interesting bit about Thatcher on that programme about the National Grid. Apparently she started off completely sold on nuclear power, which partly contributed to her stance on the miners. Previously, the miners had been able to hold the country to ransom by restricting the power supply, but once nuclear could provide a viable alternative, they lost that advantage.

Shortly after the miners had been defeated, the government started moving towards privatising power generation. To do this, they needed someone to come up with a value for all the power stations, so that they could be sold to private companies. The people brought in to make this valuation were a bit more thorough than the previous in-house estimates and asked the awkward question about decommissioning nuclear power plants, and suddenly it became clear that nuclear power plants weren't very saleable. I think the pro-nuclear energy minister, who during the miners' strike had been quite the man, was dropped like a stone.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    Although closing down the mines and privatising the rail network were pretty short sighted things to do.

There was an interesting bit about Thatcher on that programme about the National Grid. Apparently she started off completely sold on nuclear power, which partly contributed to her stance on the miners. Previously, the miners had been able to hold the country to ransom by restricting the power supply, but once nuclear could provide a viable alternative, they lost that advantage.

Shortly after the miners had been defeated, the government started moving towards privatising power generation. To do this, they needed someone to come up with a value for all the power stations, so that they could be sold to private companies. The people brought in to make this valuation were a bit more thorough than the previous in-house estimates and asked the awkward question about decommissioning nuclear power plants, and suddenly it became clear that nuclear power plants weren't very saleable. I think the pro-nuclear energy minister, who during the miners' strike had been quite the man, was dropped like a stone.

Thats pretty interesting! So the powerplants we have in the country at the moment, are they private or publically owned?
  • rjsterry
    I believe the non-nuclear ones are all privately owned, but the nuclear ones are still publicly owned.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gtvlusso
    rjsterry wrote:
    I believe the non-nuclear ones are all privately owned, but the nuclear ones are still publicly owned.

Its pronounced "nukuler"....
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    rjsterry wrote:

British Energy own and operate the UK operational Nuclear portfolio. They are now owned by EDF. The liability for decommissioning was separated from the operating responsibility to allow it to be privatised. The liability for decommissioning is funded by the UK government through the Nuclear Liability Fund.
  • rjsterry
    Sewinman wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

British Energy own and operate the UK operational Nuclear portfolio. They are now owned by EDF. The liability for decommissioning was separated from the operating responsibility to allow it to be privatised. The liability for decommissioning is funded by the UK government through the Nuclear Liability Fund.

I stand corrected. I was also reading about some people in Finland, who are trying to design a nuclear waste storage facility several hundred metres below ground. It takes ome getting your head round to design for the next hundred thousand years or so. They were debating whether the 'doors' should be marked in some way to warn of the dangers inside, or whether this would be more likely to encourage curiosity. Also what language/symbols should they use. What will we be speaking/writing (if we are still here) in a hundred thousand years? Scary stuff.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here we go again....

Seems to me that the trend is to have one good term then they go too far in the second/third (by now the Party leader is getting old no longer can identify with the current soceity of British public at the time).

Then its all change.

Brilliant single term then goes too far with the parties ideoogies and gets old, ousted. Then all change.

Could be wrong.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Me and the girlfriend went to a trendy wine bar and celebrated that day! TBH she was more excited than I was.

Oh - and I doubt anyone thought that JFK was shot in 1990 - you do have a very low opinion of others don;t you? shall I call you God or Almighty Lord in future?

JFK shot 22nd Nov 1963
    Thatcher ousted 22nd Nov 1990
    Also Boris Beckers birthday
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    vorsprung wrote:
    Me and the girlfriend went to a trendy wine bar and celebrated that day! TBH she was more excited than I was.

JFK shot 22nd Nov 1963
    Thatcher ousted 22nd Nov 1990
    Also Boris Beckers birthday
    Buppy banned 2010
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Sewinman wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

So let me get this right. The profitable part of the UK Nuclear Portfolio is owned ultimately by a French company. Whereas the costs for decommissioning the nuclear power stations are borne by the UK tax payer? Which genius put that deal together?

I think the jury's still out on Thatch's long-term legacy. She took on the unions at a time when they had become powerful to the point of crippling the country. But she did it by hitting the union members personally rather than tackling the unions themselves. And as has already been said, her behaviour during the Falklands conflict was reprehensible. A friend of mine met her once. He said he felt like he was looking into the cold, dead, evil eyes of a great white shark.