a few questions about MTB slick tyres

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Hi all I've started using the MTB commute bike totally on road now. The off road route is far to muddy and its not really appropriate me turning upto to work covered in mud. So I've decided to get some more appropriate tyres for the road but I have a few questions:

1) Will there be much noticeable rolling resistance difference between say ~1.9 tyre and and 1.5" tyre?

My wheels say they can take a minimum of 1,5" but they are also tubeless ready and I think it might be easier to get the tyre to seal reliably if I go for something a bit wider. But as im coming from using big knobby tyres surely even a wide slick tyre will feel fast to me.

2) From what I've read even a wide MTB slick tyre won't aquaplane at speeds I can do. So Is there any need to get anything with a tread or groove?

Im quite liking the look of Schwalbe Kojak tyres but it seems these are fully slick. Will these be ok in the wet weather we're doomed for in the forseable future. Or will something even with a very simple groove help disperse the water better?

thanks all for you wisdom ...

Comments

• My son uses the Hurricane (Schwalbe) and says they are the better ones for roads and wet.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36216

I use these myself

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/Ma ... 37-44.html

2) From what I've read even a wide MTB slick tyre won't aquaplane at speeds I can do. So Is there any need to get anything with a tread or groove?

Then why have tread, I would hate to have to stop fast or tackle a bend in the wet without tread.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    When I used to commute using a mountain bike I used Continental sport contacts all year round. You can pump them up to a fairly ridiculous pressure (got a track pump?) and they grip as well as anything else i've tried in the wet. Also, no, there's no need for any tread if you're using it solely on roads, a tread (IME) does nothing to help traction in the wet so you may as well use all the available tyre (a slick).
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • I commute 26 miles a day using my mountain bike, I'm currently using Continental Double Fighter II tyres.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ter2.shtml

I find them reasonably fast rolling but with a fair amount of grip (dry and wet). As they are what I'd consider semi-slicks they also don't complain too much if you do get forced off the road on to a more bumpy path.

I went for them because at 1.9" and with some tread they still look reasonably good on a mountain bike compared with a skinny slick tyre which i always think look strange nestled between the chunky fork posts.

The only problem I've had is that they are puncture prone, however, I bought some of that slime stuff off ebay for about £3 and have not had a problem since.
  • jairaj
    Thanks for the links but those tyres are far too much off road orientated. I have two bikes, one is in normal MTB mode I will use for my off road kicks.

The other is also a MTB but will be fully used on the road for commuting to and form work, it will not even see a path-way so no need in the slightest for side knobs.

Im also a bit confused about the grooves in road tyres. From what I've read, they won't aquaplane but still many road tyres have grooves? Im Just after peoples real life experiences with full slicks on wet roads.

Im more after this kinda thing:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/product/kojak-tyre-8877
  • They have grooves because people are idiots and it is far easier to make a tyre with some tread to shut them up than try and educate them :roll: It also makes it easier to differentiate between otherwise very similar tyres in your range...

Go for a big slick as they're very very very fun to ride, something like a tioga k-rad (file tread is pretty much slick) skinny slicks drop the centre of gravity noticeably and kill the enjoyment of the ride.
  • jairaj
    so the grooves are just a marketing thing? and I will be fine getting a tyre that is fully slick? cool thanks ride_whenever.

I did a search for "tioga k-rad" and it didn't lead any where. I found a Kenda K-rad but that is a street/bmx tyre and doesn't come in 26 inch. I also found a Tioga City Slick.

I still think the Kojak is top of my list and or the Continental tyre I linked above. Although I can only find them with a wire bead. Its been a while since I had a wire bead tyre are these things still really annoying to get on and off and is it going to work with a UST rim?
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    tyc21210.jpg

Sport Contacts are about the slickest things out there. As for tread on road tyres, i'm not really sure why so many "road" tyres have tread, I can only assume it's because they are really hybrid tyres in disguise. I've never used nobbly mtb tyres in anger on roads so can't really help with how they compare. You have to be a bit careful on smooth surfaces with all tyres but as long as you're sensible slicks will grip just as much or more than tyres with a tread even in the wet.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

• Sorry, meant the FS100, some of which are renamed the skidrow.

They're cracking tyres, a touch lardy but very very fast and very fun to ride as they don't change the handling of the bike much at all.

The schwalbe delta cruisers are also worth a look if you want puncture protection.
  • Surely as with car tryes tread is for channelling water away.

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I commuted for 2 years on my mtb on Specialized All Conditions Pro 26x1.0 - slick, light, fast, puncture-proof. I had Mavic XC717 rims, the tyre was slightly under the spec width but was fine.
  • Surely as with car tryes tread is for channelling water away.

read the section halfway down on hydroplaning and all will become clear

Water doesn't need channelling because the surface pressure is high enough to force it out. The speeds required for hydroplaning a bike are as follows:

First column PSI, second BAR, third MPH required and fourth KPH

120 8.3 113 183
    100 6.9 104 167
    80 5.5 93 149
    60 4.1 80 129
    40 2.8 66 105
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The tread lets you know when you've nearly worn the rubber away! Many car tyres have solid tread bands wider than a bike tyre, and certainly wider than the narrow contact patch we use. In fact my Slickasaurus, whilst treaded, have no tread along the centre at all, never aquaplaned at all.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • very interesting, I always assumed the grooves increased grip in the wet by channelling the water. I'll have to read the article on aquaplanning.

I only have one bike these days, in the week I use the semi slicks and on the weekend swap the tyres over for off road riding. In the spring I was thinking about getting some 26x1.95 Kenda Kwick Roller Sports.

http://www.kendauk.com/kwick.html#

Does anyone have experience in these tyres, I've always liked their off road tyres.
  • The Rookie
    Tread does increase grip in the wet by channeling water away from the gap between tyre and road, but only oif its actually needed, if its not needed it doesn't improve the grip!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I use scwable city jets 26x1.5s, great budget tyre (£10 each each )

I had to stick the original tyre back on the bike last week due to wearing out the tyre over a good period of time and boy was it harder work to keep the same speed !!

Slicks for roads are a lot easier to pedal, your not going to aqua plane and unless your riding on mud/snow then knobblies will not make it a better ride.
    On ice it has been shown that slicks offer better grip as you have more rubber on the road,of course if you hit ice at the wrong angle any tyre will slip whether it has tread or not.

24629.jpg
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I've used the 1.5 City Jets for about 1000 miles now and they're showing signs of wear but I've not had a puncture yet. I reckon I've got another 1000 in them if I needed it but I'm likely to change within the next 500 anyway. They've been great, can't complain at all.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jairaj
    cool thanks all for your views and advise. Looks like slicks are the way forward.

I've still got a bit of research to do but so far the Kojaks are my favourite due to coming in bigger than 1.5" and in a folding bead all to help with the tubeless sealing.
  • jairaj wrote:
    cool thanks all for your views and advise. Looks like slicks are the way forward.

I've still got a bit of research to do but so far the Kojaks are my favourite due to coming in bigger than 1.5" and in a folding bead all to help with the tubeless sealing.

Well if slicks are your way forward in winter with rain, leaves on road, grit, salt etc, wear a good helmet.

Summer would be better.

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Well if slicks are your way forward in winter with rain, leaves on road, grit, salt etc, wear a good helmet.

Summer would be better.

I guess roadies should just not ride at all through winter then?

:roll:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    jairaj wrote:

Summer would be better.
    Again, slicks are more effective on tarmac than tyres with tread.

Nothing will grip on wet metal/leaves/ice. You need to either avoid them completely, or avoid turning on them at least.
  • The Rookie

Summer would be better.
    Clearly coming from a forum keyboard hero who has never ridden on slick tyres through a winter then!

Why people feel able to comment on something they know nothing about is beyond me.....and I know you know nothing about it as you tell us you would never do it, therefore you've never tried it!

Simon
  • The groove right down the middle of the City Jet's tread really bugs me - even though I have them fitted on my main commuting bike :?
  • Well if slicks are your way forward in winter with rain, leaves on road, grit, salt etc, wear a good helmet.

Summer would be better.
    Clearly coming from a forum keyboard hero who has never ridden on slick tyres through a winter then!

Why people feel able to comment on something they know nothing about is beyond me.....and I know you know nothing about it as you tell us you would never do it, therefore you've never tried it!

Simon

Actually I have, in fact and have through MY choice chosen not to, so in winter I prefer to be cautious, obviously a case of "assuming" I have not done something without knowing me personally. Sorry "never do it in WINTER" or bad weather.

One of my bikes uses these

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/max ... e-ec007259

However, in winter and 70% of the year though I prefer one of my three Saracens with different tyres on each, I may be an old chap newish to cycling but no fool.

• The Rookie
    If you say so......I certainly have more grip from my slick's in wet weather than anything else I've tried, including crazy bobs.

Simon
  • Oh I don't say so, this is like many others simply my own opinion.

If we all thought the same we would all be driving identical cars wearing identical clothes.

• There's a difference between opinion and fact...
  • There's a difference between opinion and fact...

I agree but to what "fact" are you refering, I have never said one tyre IS best

• surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    my two pence worth. Firstly do you really want to ride slicks, I ask because as your commute can be off road, then there is nothing better than riding off -road when there is frost on the ground, grip off-road when icy is fine and avoids slips outs on the road. When it is wet stick to the road to avoid the mud. The trouble with full slicks is that they really limit your commute choices, you have to stick to the roads.

If you do go for a slick get a large volume, because sticking a small volume slick on a 26 wheel makes the over all diameter really small, and that means hitting potholes hurts, a road bike handles slicks better as the larger wheel diameter will roll over stuff better like a 29er. If you only have one bike I would stick with nobblies, I rode Panaracer Fire for three winters on/off road with no slips. Just up the pressure when on the road and drop it when going off.

I now ride on CX which is fast but still allows route choices other than the road, a point brought home when a road was closed by the police, if I was on a road bike or slicks I would be as stuck as the other commuters.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    snailracer wrote:
    The groove right down the middle of the City Jet's tread really bugs me - even though I have them fitted on my main commuting bike :?

If it wasn't there, you'd forget the thing was wearing down! I reckon mine have been on for 3000 miles and still look sound.
    Faster than a tent.......