Would i notice a few hundred grams off the wheels?

Haynes
Haynes Posts: 670
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Contemplating some new lighter wheels, either RS80s or Dura Ace 7850. These would save me around 350 or 500 grams, respectively, over my current wheels but at a cost of over £1 per gram! (Although both these wheels use the same rim and most of the extra weight is in the hub)

In terms of the static weight on the bike its less than the weight of a full water bottle, but i like the idea of saving 1/2 a kilo to get down to 8Kg overall.

I know that saving rotatitional weight is often quoted as having the most significance, but how much weight loss is noticable? Will i notice a drop of 300g at the rims? Would 500g lighter wheels be a slight or really signifcant noticable change?

I'm not really obsessive about weight, just want to feel the difference if i spend the money, and more interested in a benefit to clmbing and sprinting as opposed to TT performance.
<hr><font>The trick is not MINDING that it hurts.</font>

Comments

• I traded out some 2300g wheels for some 1800g wheels. They spin up faster.

The main point about RS80's isn't just the weight but the sheer lushness of them
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    RS80 are nice wheels

Does the weight make a difference? Here's my test. I switched from Marathon plus to Rubino Pro tyres on the commute bike. Everything else stayed the same. The difference in weight per tyre is approx 450g

On the downhill there is no difference. The bike reaches terminal velocity with either tyre. The aerodynamics of the fat lump sitting on the bike are the limiting factor

Uphill it is easier and the typical speed is 1 or 2 kph faster. Some of this might be due to better rolling resistance from the tyres however

On the flat acceleration away from the lights etc seems better. It is difficult to qualtify but feels faster
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I don't know what wheels you are currently using, but you may also notice an advantage in terms of better hubs, less flex when out of the saddle, better aero, as well as the weight, all of which can make you faster. Also don't underestimate the power of a almost anything expensive and shiny to make you go faster, for the first few uses anyway.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    vorsprung wrote:
    Does the weight make a difference? Here's my test. I switched from Marathon plus to Rubino Pro tyres on the commute bike. Everything else stayed the same. The difference in weight per tyre is approx 450g

You've not isolated that to a weight issue, rolling resistence would've changed a lot.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I'm with Term1te.. the difference will largely centre in your grey matter as you gaze down at the black and red decals overlaying the carbon.
    I have pair of RS 80's and they may make me a little faster but quite simply my bike looks better.
    I would plum for the Dura Ace if I could be prepared to write them off after hitting a pot hole.
    The rim is the same for both wheelsets, add light weight conti tubes and tyres and your there abouts. The new C50 version looks the dogs but still no sign. Shame, Santa could have made the wife very cross. 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Haynes
    Haynes Posts: 670
    Mr Dog wrote:
    I'm with Term1te.. the difference will largely centre in your grey matter as you gaze down at the black and red decals overlaying the carbon.
    I have pair of RS 80's and they may make me a little faster but quite simply my bike looks better.
    I would plum for the Dura Ace if I could be prepared to write them off after hitting a pot hole.
    The rim is the same for both wheelsets, add light weight conti tubes and tyres and your there abouts. The new C50 version looks the dogs but still no sign. Shame, Santa could have made the wife very cross. 8)

Why would the DAs suffer in a pot hole incident any worse than the RS80s? Or is it just greater (financial) pain?

Youve also hit on my main prefference for the DA7850s, i just think the black spokes look better against my carbon frame than the silver spokes of the RS80s, how shallow am i. But the better hubs and full 1/2 kg saving over my current set up do add to the appeal.
    <hr><font>The trick is not MINDING that it hurts.</font>
  • Mr Dog
    Yep with same rim they will both suffer an equal fate. However there is £200 difference for the same rotational weight. It would reduce me to tears to see £500 munhed by a hole in the road.. £300 is just about bearable. 8)
  • Mr Dog
    If I could upload a photo then I could show you how good the RS 80s look on a bare carbon frame.
  • I switched to a pair of DA 7850 CL's a year ago and really noticed the difference. Previously, I had OE Rovals, no heavyweights. The blurb says all the weight is carried in the hubs, which are silky smooth and really roll. You'll notice it coming off fast descents when you slowly catch and pass other riders where previously you would have just sat steady behind. Get into a deep aero tuck and you'll be amazed at your speed.

They seem pretty strong as I've hit the odd small pothole without problems.

Pair them with lightweight inner tubes and a decent pair of tyres (my current favourites are Conti GP4000S) to get maximum benefit.
  • Mr Dog wrote:
    If I could upload a photo then I could show you how good the RS 80s look on a bare carbon frame.

They look lush on anything.

P1000761.jpg
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    I was in a similar position. No question, DA 7850s are just brilliant wheels.

You will easily notice - especially when accelerating.

Just do it!

But be warned, once you are bitten with the upgrade bug, nothing will stop you until you have assembled a complete new bike ( depending on what you have... in my case it was a 20 year old bike ).
  • geebee2 wrote:
    I was in a similar position. No question, DA 7850s are just brilliant wheels.

You will easily notice - especially when accelerating.

Just do it!

But be warned, once you are bitten with the upgrade bug, nothing will stop you until you have assembled a complete new bike ( depending on what you have... in my case it was a 20 year old bike ).

My frame and forks are original! :shock:
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    i have a set of each on different bikes, they're both great wheelsets and not that distinguishable from one another, at least from a fuctional point of view. The rs80s are on an aluminium bike and they totally changed the characteristics of the bike...no road buzz, and the whole bike now feels super stiff.

You cant do wrong with either.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    If your new race wheels turn up and they are 100g (for the pair) heavier than advertised would you be disappointed - especially if you've been replacing other components to lose 100g here and there?
  • I tried taking the heavy rubber bit off. Absolute shite. Climb worse than before
  • vortice
    I tried taking the heavy rubber bit off. Absolute shite. Climb worse than before
    There would have to be rubber on them in the first place to take off. :D
  • Yes. It's half a kilo. That's a lot when talking bicycles.

Buy them. Buy them. Buy them now. Buy them.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • vortice
    So, wheels advertised at 1440g and they turn out to be 1545g. Acceptable or not?
  • Vortice wrote:
    I tried taking the heavy rubber bit off. Absolute shite. Climb worse than before
    There would have to be rubber on them in the first place to take off. :D

They were when I bought them, they came already fitted when I got to the bike :roll:
  • Vortice wrote:
    So, wheels advertised at 1440g and they turn out to be 1545g. Acceptable or not?

Unacceptable. Smash with them a hammer, set fire to them and throw them through the retailers window.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Vortice wrote:

Balanced on your mum's £10 kitchen scales?

A much more accurate way to weigh things like this is to buy another pair, go down the park and put one pair on each side of the seesaw, if it stays level you know they weigh as advertised.
  • Depends. Have you accounted for rim tape etc?