Streaming eyes in the cold weather - any tips?

Strith
Strith Posts: 541
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
As the weather gets colder my eyes are streaming every morning on the way to work and its starting to get on my nerves. I cant see properly!

Anybody know of any good ways to stop or minimise this? Do cycling glasses work, like the wraparound type? Or shall i just buy a snorkel set! :lol:

Comments

• Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    On my old commute I had to ride down a biiiiiiiiiig Yorkshire hill. Terrifying-could-get-to-50mph-without-much-effort-at-all hill. I know the streaming eyes.

Cycling glasses do work, but I've found none of them to be perfect. Some are better than none by far though!
  • Strith
    Mhhh I dont quite hit 50 here in london but it's bad enough.

Any glasses care to recommend?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    To mention them again, Bolle countour safety specs for around £6 on Ebay.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Strith
    Cool cheers I'll take a look
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheap and cheerful £2.99 Lidl clear (polarized) glasses work just fine for me.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BDFun
    BDFun Posts: 67
    I have the same issue, but as I wear glasses I can't just buy normal protective cycling glasses as they wouldn't fit over mine :(

Would have to either wear contacts or get some sort of prescriptive ones.
  • Cheap and cheerful £2.99 Lidl clear (polarized) glasses work just fine for me.....

Simon

How do these work? If they are polarised then they can't be completely clear - on average they will cut daylight intensity by half.
  • The Rookie
    No, it depends how tight the polarising is, and if you have it horizontal then it cuts most reflected glare (from a horizontal surface) while having a minimal effect on normal light, maybe losing about 10%.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Had someone ask me about watery eyes on my blog and a couple of people vouched for screwfix.com who have a load of protective glasses for less than £10. Give them a go or as one of the other commenters suggested.. Aldi/Lidl for the win
    Find me on: http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/
    I'm also the founder of the Bike Doctor iPhone/Android app
  • Strith
    Yeah I have a mild prescription, but can get away without them. I have some oakley sunnies, but I'm not paying that much again for clear prescription lenses.

Thanks for the replies, guess I'll get some saftey goggles in then!
    BDFun wrote:
    I have the same issue, but as I wear glasses I can't just buy normal protective cycling glasses as they wouldn't fit over mine :(

Would have to either wear contacts or get some sort of prescriptive ones.
  • No, it depends how tight the polarising is, and if you have it horizontal then it cuts most reflected glare (from a horizontal surface) while having a minimal effect on normal light, maybe losing about 10%.

Simon

No, that's not how polarisers work - either it's relatively clear and so not a particularly effective polariser, or it's cutting out most of the horizontal polarisation and so will have an approx 50% transmission for unpolarised light. Either way they are telling porkies!
  • Close your eyes. Or blink really fast... :lol:
    Question: Why do so many cyclists not stop at red lights? You would if you were in a car...
  • The Rookie
    A Polarizer of deliberately 'poor quality' will let through a lot more than 50% of light while cutting out most the glare......

Simon
  • A Polarizer of deliberately 'poor quality' will let through a lot more than 50% of light while cutting out most the glare......

Simon
    No! Either it's cutting out the glare or it's not! If you cut the glare by half, then you'll still only be letting in an absolute maximum of 75% of the light. In reality, for such cheap lenses it would be more like 70% at maximum even by cutting the glare only to a half. And 70% transmission is already the maximum amount of tint allowed on car windows in the uk - so definitely not clear!
  • The Rookie
    Well I know they are 'clear' to look at, let through nearly all light don't notice any difference when I flip them down in winter and are polarized (colour patterns on toughened glass), flip them up and the glare from say a wet road is a lot higher, you can believe me or not, but I assure they do exactly what I've told you.

Simon
  • I'm Mr Magoo without my glasses and prescription Rudy projects will set me back £170.

A cheapo option would be prescription swimming goggles for £19 but how much of a git would I look!
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I'm Mr Magoo without my glasses and prescription Rudy projects will set me back £170.

A cheapo option would be prescription swimming goggles for £19 but how much of a git would I look!

ah but then motorists might give you a wide berth due to your 'unhinged' look
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • The Rookie
    Thinking Hugh Grant in the cinema in 'Notting Hill' with Scuba type mask on.......I think most motorists will keep well clear!

Simon
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    One tip which might help - I went to a sports shop and bought some cotton sweat bands. They don't stop your eyes from watering, but they are good for drying them out.
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    My optician told me this is a symptom of dry eyes:

http://www.cks.nhs.uk/patient_informati ... e_syndrome

I get it when I've not been getting enough sleep, looked at a computer screen too much or had too much caffiene.

There might be something you can adjust in your lifestyle to reduce the problem.
  • Just got these of Ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dllV ... SA:GB:1123

Wore them for the first time this morning. Superb!!! No streaming eyes. They appear to be well built, nicely designed to fit the face and due to clear lenses can wear at night.

100% recommend for just over a fiver.

ps...glad I scrounged some thermal tights from work yesterday.Thanks product development!!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1