Obsessed

daverow
daverow Posts: 64
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
Is it just me or is your obsession with cycling taking over your life too?

I pore over the forums absorbing info, reading magazines, rouleurs, studying technical documentation from Campag and cannot, literally, concentrate for any length of time without my mind wandering off to some cycling related topic in my mind. This can range from anything from wondering how much my chain stretched since fitted to the best way to ride over the cobbled section on my commute home from work and everything in between.

And bikes.. don't get me started on bikes..

I am in my mid thirties. This is not normal. I am considering investing in a Powertap and I fully expect my girlfriend to leave me if I tell her how much it costs... (SL+ btw)

I am not alone... am i?

Comments

• +100
    Got accused last night, she's not moaning about my three stone weight loss this year though :D
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    +101

:D

a solution that seems to have solved part of the problem was to get Mrs Schweiz-to-be a rather nice Trek 2.5 WSD. Crazily over-specced for her needs/amount of time that it will be used but now she's spending time thinking about bar tape/saddle colour combos, eyeing up the Rapha website and justifying new purchases because she 'needs' them.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    If you (or I should say) your partner has a baby, that will take your mind off cycling for about 5 years. Unless you do it for a living then it's just an enjoyable hobby but you'd be better spending time out on your bike than reading about trick equipment/weight savings etc
    M.Rushton
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Agree. Currently cannot shake the Cannondale Flash 2011 from my mindset. Read all the articles, youtubed to death, sent off for bumf etc. 8)

Had a little reprieve over the weekend - I up sold the guy in our LBS when we went for my son's 'first' bike. Managed to get him the top of the range with the front suss. I know he'll thank me later.
    :D
  • But the Flash is an MTB :wink:
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    edited November 2010
    mrushton wrote:
    If you (or I should say) your partner has a baby, that will take your mind off cycling for about 5 years. Unless you do it for a living then it's just an enjoyable hobby but you'd be better spending time out on your bike than reading about trick equipment/weight savings etc

over 6000 km this year (even with this years cr@ppy spring) means I do spend time out on the road. It's just the time not actually on the bike seems to be bike related too. Either planning new routes or the fact I'd rather be reading about bikes either here, other websites or magazines rather than watching Desperate Housewives, X-Factor or Das Supertalent!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I was walking with a friend last week. Someone rode past us on a bike. My friend informed me that it was a very attractive girl, who had been definitely checking me out.

I was oblivious. I'd been checking out the bike, you see. :oops:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My wife is quite used to me doing "abnormal" things. For example, on Sunday we got home from the obligatory visit to aging relatives about 5pm. She wasn't at all suprised when I went off for a quick 20 miler on the mtb in pitch darkness. Did I add it was snowing?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    unixnerd wrote:
    My wife is quite used to me doing "abnormal" things.

Too much information.
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    Is it just me or is your obsession with cycling taking over your life too?

No not just you, I'm totally obsessed at the moment.

Started about 18 months ago.

I don't think it's a mid life crisis, more our children growing up and me looking for a new interest. The obsession is growing, I never thought a year ago I would be going out in the dark and bad weather, doing turbo sessions in the garage or taking the bike on holiday.

I do just enjoy cycling, and it fits in well with my current life.

It's even useful, as my daughter now has the wife's car, my wife has my car, and I don't have a car at all, hence I cycle to get around as well as for enjoyment.
  • poacherjake
    poacherjake Posts: 45
    edited November 2010
    have only had my bike for a month or so - got it mainly to cross-train as I'm carrying a stress fracture from running, and to commute too.

Apart from that have got minimal kit and am trying to use my running gear to save a few quid.

but am totally swept away by it and the challenge of dropping the time on my main weekend ride

and the amount of info on this site is just mindboggling - it's like a whole new world opening up

my mates have been obsessed for the last ten years and I can totally understand it - although I'm going to actually get good at it before I start splashing any more cash ...
    Specialized Allez 24
  • I was the only kid in school who read MBUK, MBR etc etc whilst friends read NME mens health etc.

I'm worried by mrushton's comment though. The wife is due in Feb. Does having kids really affect that much riding??? I suppose it'll be early morning/late nite training rides then???
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    have only had my bike for a month or so - got it mainly to cross-train as I'm carrying a stress fracture from running, and to commute too.

Apart from that have got minimal kit and am trying to use my running gear to save a few quid.

but am totally swept away by it and the challenge of dropping the time on my main weekend ride

and the amount of info on this site is just mindboggling - it's like a whole new world opening up

my mates have been obsessed for the last ten years and I can totally understand it - although I'm going to actually get good at it before I start splashing any more cash ...

No, no, that's complletely the wrong way around - you have to spend a fortune in order to get good :lol::wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I was the only kid in school who read MBUK, MBR etc etc whilst friends read NME mens health etc.

I'm worried by mrushton's comment though. The wife is due in Feb. Does having kids really affect that much riding??? I suppose it'll be early morning/late nite training rides then???

Yep, unfortunately so. It's more a case of you being expected to spend some time with the kids. The only thing mrushton got wrong is the timescale - much more than 5 years by my reckoning. So if you want someone to look after your kit for a few years and keep it all running just let me know :wink:
  • A baby, you say. Ahem. Well now. That's a rather different question altogether now isn't it. Procreation to distract an avid cyclists mind.. hmm.. not sure that's the answer.
    you'd be better spending time out on your bike than reading about trick equipment/weight savings etc

To clarify, i DO spend as much time on othe bike as possible. I commute 40 miles round trip daily and then get out on Sundays (committments permitting) for a 60-70 miler in the 'Dales. The pouring over articles, technical drawings, sheldon articles & fora all goes on when i'm either in recovery (i.e. at work) or pretending to study. And therein lies the problem, I suspect, with us all. Whislt we're supposed to be well adjusted adults with balanced lives and rational mindsets all we can do is think about cycling.

There aren't many things stopping me from chucking the whole lot in and going to work for a sporting tour company in France next year. IT'S THAT BAD.

:shock:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    There aren't many things stopping me from chucking the whole lot in and going to work for a sporting tour company in France next year. IT'S THAT BAD.

Which bit's bad? ;-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Yep I got it bad too, about 3 months now seriously, building up gradually for 3 months previous to that

It was even a (one of many admittedly) contributing factor to me selling up the business I'd spent 15 years building up - the bonus to that is a bit of cash in the bank and at least a year off to indulge my new passion at ANY opportunity, all in my 40th year 8)
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Cycling is not taking up my life, I cycle tuesday, wednesday, saturday and sunday. rest of the time I work on uni work.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I had to leave my wife because of cycling. Now it's all I concentrate on. Virtually a job...
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Pokerface wrote:
    I had to leave my wife because of cycling. Now it's all I concentrate on. Virtually a job...

Is that true?

Is it on your CV?
  • a good for me 240m last week, and a new bike ordered, only 7 months after the last new (but clearly different) bike

however my wife thinks it is wholesome, appreciates the weight loss and prefers me to spend it on carbon fibre than beer fags and women
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Fellow addicts,

Yesterday I watched the weather all day because I wanted to go for a dry ride in the evening after work. I got unhappy when it rained (late morning) and then got happy again when it dried up. I had an early finish and virtually ran home to get changed. I then spent the next 60 minutes, a 42 year old man dressed in Lycra, riding up and down the same hill in the fading light in order to get some climbing in.

In any other group this would be considered as abnormal behaviour; on here I would guess it's perfectly rational...

However, regarding kit, I think I've now got everything I require....although maybe I need some better lights, and for some reason I can't get the name Van Nicholas out of my head......
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Well It's my birthday today, I have the day off work and all i can think about is where shall I ride to, even with the temp around the zero mark.

PS Also very sad that I just bought some anodized cable ends and chainset bolts to match the colour of my bike