Luath 26 Tyres

jackmcd
jackmcd Posts: 185
edited November 2010 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi

Just about to order my son a Luath 26 from isla bikes. Anyone here tried one for their kids?

Just wondering if I should pay extra for Schwalbe or Continental tyres - are the standard Kenda ones any good?

He's just going to be messing around and coming for rides with me. Was just going to keep as standard but thought I'd check in case they puncture easily or last only a few months.

Comments

• My eldest son has the Luath 26 (and a very fine choice). I ordered the Marathons. We then got another set of wheels and put Gators on them. So effectively he has a proper road bike and also one that can handle canal paths, forest trails, etc. The marathons are good and look smart, but not convinced they are worth the extra for a kids bike.

His 8 yr old bro has the Beinn 26 and just went for the standard tyres. He has used them on and off road (although not the really muddy stuff) and they work fine. No punctures yet.

I'd say, if he wants to use the bike for road or cyclecross then it's worth the extra for specific tyres, and probably have the Kenda ones on spare wheels for general use. If not, I'd probably just go for the Kendas.
  • jackmcd
    jackmcd Posts: 185
    Thanks for that - I'll stick with the standard ones, at least until I know what type of riding he is going to doing most of.

Having spare wheels sounds easier than changing tyres!