Wicking base layer and fleecy coat, what in the middle?

capoz77
capoz77 Posts: 503
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I've got a hallyhanson wicking tech fabric tshirt, with a fleecy/part splash proof outer coat, what can I add as a middle layer to add some more warmth on these cold mornings?

I tried a cotton T yesterday as had no other choice and once it got wet with sweat it became uncomfortable. I don't think another wicking t-shirt will add much warmth.

Suggestions?

Comments

• A jersey long or short sleeve. When I commute i have a long sleeved base layer, a normal jersey on top then my jacket.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    qwerty1982 wrote:
    A jersey long or short sleeve. When I commute i have a long sleeved base layer, a normal jersey on top then my jacket.

is your long sleeved base layer a tech wicking one, or a softer more merino wool type?
  • Yup is a wicking style job by Endura and another by altura. oh and also have one by DHB, all very good.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I wear merino but, after a few years of riding in them I've changed my mind. They soak up sweat and remain saturated when your warm which is nasty when you stop for anything. I wear a couple of wicking jerseys and a couple of soft shells, a long sleeve outer and sleeveless inner.
    Soft shells can be picked up dirt cheap from lidl sometimes, and Decathalon.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    depends on the temperature...

these days its a long sleeve merino base layer. long sleeve jersey on top kinda coolmax fabric...

then if really cold, micro fleece...

then if raining or cold cutting wind - softshell waterproof jacket.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    cee wrote:
    depends on the temperature...

these days its a long sleeve merino base layer. long sleeve jersey on top kinda coolmax fabric...

then if really cold, micro fleece...

then if raining or cold cutting wind - softshell waterproof jacket.

Do you wear your merino next to your skin? I find mine just collects sweat like a bucket beneath my rucksack and it's grim after a while :?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    yip. merino as the base layer....

to be honest...I sweat much more in man made fabrics, so always ended up sweaty in things like the helly hanson etc...

merino has been fantastic for me so far, but....i often do end up in just the merino layer, then the softshell on top..often the coolmax layer is unneccessary.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i use several layers

one short sleeved Nike pro

one long sleeved Nike pro

one Ronhill smartwool long sleeved

one NorthFace water/windproof jacket

that tends to keep me warm and dry

i find if you only use one base layer, once you get wet and have to stop anywhere, then you get very cold very fast. using two ensures that despite the wetness, you stay warm. Same effect could be gained from using Merino as a base layer.

Having a windprood outer is the key to staying warm IMO. You can have 10 layers on, but if no windproof on top, then you will get cold eventually.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mix and match. I don't usually layer up all that much, I'm cold blooded but a fleecy layer (even a cheap tesco fleece) is good for warmth but not wind resistance. A thin wndproof layer over that keeps the draughts out and lets the fleece work A softshell combines the 2 but means you can't seperate the layers to control temperature. Then under that, either nothing but a base layer, or a base layer and then a standard jersey. Ideally you want your top layers to have long zips so you can let a bit of heat out or wind in.

The Trespass thermal base layers are really nice btw.

The way I see it is, you sweat when you're hot, therefore wear less, be less hot and worry less about sweat. You'll freeze when you stop moving for long, so don't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I'm an advocate for good fleece, it's worth spending a bit on quality and performance. Your mid layer option can be a micro fleece or some other mid weight fleece. That'll keep you warm and still allow moisture to escape.
    Many happy trails!
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    A long sleeve HH and a thin fleece with a soft shell should be enough even when it's freezing.

I'll confirm that tomorrow morning.

One of these thin head cover things also do a good job of keeping the heat in.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=32184
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I've never really worn much more than a base layer and jersy, normally short sleaved or for cold days the same and a Gillet or for really cold days the base and jersey and a really good Gore or Endrda jacket. I almost always end up taking any jacket off.

Also some 3/4 length shorts, Buff, good over shoes and gloves are where I really feel the cold.

WIll
  • I used to wear Helly hansen but found they smelt really bad after a short period of time. My wife bought me for my birthday a couple of weeks ago a set of Sub Zero thermals in their base layer material. I found them to be so good that i have bought her a set for Christmas. If you go to www.subzerostore.co.uk and use the following code during checkout: SZAT10 you get an extra 10% discount - got this through the mail with my order so you may as well benefit from my largess!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    For real cold days -

Craft Pro Warm l/s baselayer
    Endura MT500 jacket/jersey or Altura waterproof.

Just those two items for my upper body sorts me out a treat, wicks real well, good breathability and never got cold in last years super winter.

Just make sure I have a headcap on to help keep the warmth in there and cover the ears, some leg warmers in addition to the usual undershorts & 3/4s, with some merino socks or sealskinz dependant on weather.
  • I find when I walk out the door on cold days I feel the cold alot, then start moving and I warm up very quick. I leave the house wearing a fleece base with a underarmour winter shirt underneath that, then jersey and a jacket, and almost always end up taking most of it off once i'm actually riding properly. I ride in shorts as well, because if my legs are covered I overheat very fast even in very low temperatures.
  • Northwind
    Yup. Open fleeces (ie not laminated softshells) can be really effective for cycling- they let the wind through when you're moving but keep you warm (er) when you're not. Doesn't work on windy days though unless you can get out of the wind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • NormalD
    NormalD wrote:
    A long sleeve HH and a thin fleece with a soft shell should be enough even when it's freezing.

I'll confirm that tomorrow morning.

One of these thin head cover things also do a good job of keeping the heat in.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=32184

Yup, plenty warm enough. Just need some wind proof gloves.
    Normal Disk 2009

Alfa 156 SW
  • Northwind
    Remember it isn't actually cold yet.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • NormalD
    It was Zero degree's when I left home and +1 when I got back. It will only get a few degree's colder than that.
    Normal Disk 2009

Alfa 156 SW
  • i wear underarmor camo summer layer for all seaon use! i love the stuff to be honest. i caught it on sale on Sportsman Guide.com.. i cant express how much i like it... it doesnt seem like it would keep you cool and absorb sweat but it does and does it very well imo.. i wear it every time i go hunting as an under layer. my gf laughs at me when i put it on bc i look like a camoflauged spider man walking around. she gets a kick out of it. but thats the price i pay
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I used to think Merino was great too, but I've gone a bit like bluechair now. It does have some advantages over synthetic, but it also saturates with sweat more more quickly. Most of the time below 0 I wear a LS Merino top with a gilet or a simple Gore jacket on top (not sure of the model, but it's a few years old and just a Windstopper outer with a mesh inner). Sometimes I'll add a synthetic over the Merino, which actually works well to transport away the sweat that the Merino collects. This is all while wearing bibs though, so they cover a good portion of my midsection too.

Recently I've been using an Aclima Woolnet top and it's been excellent. I was very sceptical at first, especially considering the price, but it really does keep you as warm as a full 200g Merino top and it wicks sweat like a good synthetic. It is quite possibly the ugliest garment ever produced though.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    In this weather (around 1 C) i'll wear a synthetic base layer, very thin fleece and a windproof or waterproof shell.
    With a decent quality breathable shell to eliminate the windchill factor I don't need much insulation to stay warm. The big hills round here help to keep warm as well.
    I'm not that convinced about merino wool for high output activities. I've recently got some Arcteryx base layers in the sales and they're brilliant.