Ultegra wheels Vs Planet-X Model B

irezumi
irezumi Posts: 142
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Anybody have any comparisons of these wheels (Ultegra 6700 & Planet-X Model B)?

Was wondering if the Ultegras are worth double that of the Planet-X's. I'm very light so spoke count/strength isnt that much of an issue for me. Never had any dealings with Planet-X as a company in terms of parts or as a company so just after some advice. Are the wheels solid, do bearings hold up etc...? Will be used for training and some cat4 racing.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Model B's are great wheels for £100 but haven't used ultegras - my best wheels are Dura Ace which are noticeably 'better' but unless you want some bling, certainly not £300+ better

In fact unless you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket, I'd say the B's are astounding value andwill do everything you need them to
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Yes, i have the Ultegras on the summer bike and Bs on the winter bike.

I find the Ultegras a bit stiffer than the Bs. But both good wheels for the money.
    The advantage of the Bs over the Ultegras in winter is that they have sealed bearings.

For winter training wheels the PX Bs are a very good buy, i dont think you'll go wrong with um.
    Planet X are great to deal with as well, never had any problems, fast delivery and service.

Rich.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Model B's. Tough, lightish and cheap.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • model B's for me. seem to be fairly tough, not had to bring a spoke key to them yet, and light too.
    one thing that does go unnoticed is the hubs - model B's seem to be really good; spin the front wheel a little bit, and it takes ages to stop, so im guessing the bearings in there of a good quality.
    my RS10 wheels dont spin nearly as well, although thats a bit further down the range to Ultegra
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain