Installing chains from Chain Reaction

Recess
Recess Posts: 58
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Hey,

Has anyone here bought a Shimano 9 speed chain from Chain Reaction (HG53)? The reason I ask is that that chain pin it comes with isn't the normal Shimano Pin you buy in packs - it doesn't have the pointy end that you snap off once it's been fed through the link.

And, the reason I point that out is that every time I try to install a chain with this stubby pin from Chain Reaction - I just blow out the other side of the link - it doesn't go in and out nicely - and I just have to pop out that link, and use a standard Shimano one instead.

Am I doing something disastrously wrong do you think? Or is the Chain reaction pin just unworkable.

Thanks,

John
Success is merely a failure to imagine more...

Comments

• Recess
    Recess Posts: 58
    Ah, just managed to do it with the pin provided. Sorry for posting such a pointless message.

John
    Success is merely a failure to imagine more...
  • they sold me one like that once

it was also several links short

ive never bought from them since- they sell dodgy gear :evil:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Sure you havn`t missed the correct joining pin in a little plastic packet in the box? I noticed that there was one of the small pins you mention in the packet when I opened it, it looked to me like it was the remains of the chain having been split off a big roll of chain, the pin is the bit you push out and throw away when you cut a chain. I found the correct joining pin in a tiny packet that had dropped on the floor when I pulled the chain outa the box :?
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    many OE chains come with a semi pre installed pin that is for machine fitting not hand fitting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown